IGNORED

Your favourite City goal

Fordy62

I’m getting on a bit now so some from the 70’s 80’s & 90’s are a bit dimmer in the memory. I remember Keith Fear’s  goal in the FA Cup against Leeds in 1974 with disbelief and excitement against what was the best team in the country at the time . Still recall Paul Marden’s goal at Forest in the League Cup Semi Final and a goal by Dave Smith at Notts County in the 89/90 promotion season had me out of my seat. The best goal though probably is one of 3 by Joe Bryan. I think everybody knows the 3 goals I refer to,so I won’t go in to detail , but the best ,the most important and the one that sent shivers down the spine was the one versus Manchester United. Sheer quality. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Bob Newman v Newport - 40 yarder

Jimmy Mann v Forest - million yarder (in my head) past Shilton

Trevor Morgan v Chester - best headed goal I’ve seen at AG

Lee Tomlin v Wednesday - assisted himself and half volley goal

Joe Bryan v Man Utd - purest of pure strikes

Beat me to it with Jimmy Mann Dave!

Tomlin - v Huddersfield? I thought he only ever scored pens v Wednesday. Thing with Tomlin was that (the last minute winner at Fulham aside) he mostly scored when under no real pressure - part of a 3-1 win type of thing. Christian Roberts was the opposite: he'd save his goals for when they really mattered most!

I can't remember that Trevor Morgan header, but way back in the mists of time I've got a recollection of a John Galley header v Birmingham that was from the edge of the box and as hard as a shot!

2 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

Sorry the video’s not the best quality, and for the Italian commentary, but Louis Carey’s goal against Palace in the play offs back in 2008 has always been a favourite of mine. It was overshadowed by Noble’s worldy in the same game, but this goal was a thing of beauty in its own right.

I believe that move was called the ‘Weasel’ and was invented by GJs team when he was at Yeovil. 

Beautiful to watch. 

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Tony Thorpe vs the Gas, 22nd December 2000.  No question.  Someone put the video up?

Yep, that's up there with Roberts v Hartlepool.

Aaron Brown's run from the our "D" leaving three puffing sags in his wake then the look up to see where Thorpe was before crossing. Thorpe had already peeled away to time his run into the box to meet the ball and plant the header firmly into the back of the net.

Just brilliant and summed up what a marvellous player Tony Thorpe was.

1 hour ago, Loco Rojo said:

Murray v Oldham (literally). Ran the entire length of the pitch to score in front of the Atyeo. 

Never a better goal and gutted I've got no video to share. 

This goal barely gets a mention. Was about to write it myself. 

When I spoke to him about it, he said its one not many people bring up either, people remember other goals but not this one. 

I truly stunning goal at the end of a slog of a 90 mins. 

No mentions yet of Tinnion at Anfield!

Or even Tomlin's last minute free kick at Fulham.

Another odd random couple from me......

John Bailey away at Crewe, seemed to hit it from miles out and it swerved all over the place. (31/10/89?)

Dave Rennie away at Grimsby, ran at them and smacked it into the top corner from about 25 yards out. (7/12/91)

13 minutes ago, cider hoss rules said:

No mentions yet of Tinnion at Anfield!

Or even Tomlin's last minute free kick at Fulham.

Another odd random couple from me......

John Bailey away at Crewe, seemed to hit it from miles out and it swerved all over the place. (31/10/89?)

Dave Rennie away at Grimsby, ran at them and smacked it into the top corner from about 25 yards out. (7/12/91)

Just for you mate

John stead v qpr or Dave cotterill v Huddersfield... (first time he was here). 

Both games we were on awful runs of form. Think QPR were top at the time and the noise when stead hit a scream was louder than anything I have heard at the gate befor. 

Cotts goal we had lost 9 in a row when Gary Johnson first started and it put us 2-0 against Huddersfield who again were top. The relief was just crazy as he took it round about 5 people and scored! 

32 seconds in for the stead goal

1 hour ago, KeepUpLino said:

How about that bobby Taylor volley against Crewe I think to complete is hatrick... I think he got injured the next game and the rest is history ?

I was just thinking the same. There was something special about that goal. The ball just sat up and he spanked it in from 25 yards to get his hat-trick. I think he scored 30 odd goals that year.I always felt that because he had a virus at the start of the following season that led to a lack of form, that we let him go far too easy and on the cheap too.

2 hours ago, Edge1981 said:

Murray against Oldham at home when Oldham were so so good away from home. Murray ran from the halfway line from what I remember.

2 hours ago, Loco Rojo said:

Murray v Oldham (literally). Ran the entire length of the pitch to score in front of the Atyeo. 

Never a better goal and gutted I've got no video to share. 

1 hour ago, The turtle said:

This goal barely gets a mention. Was about to write it myself. 

When I spoke to him about it, he said its one not many people bring up either, people remember other goals but not this one. 

I truly stunning goal at the end of a slog of a 90 mins. 

I was introduced to Iain Dowie a couple of years ago, who had been Oldham manager at the time of that Scott Murray goal. Dowie is a friendly and approachable guy and we chatted for quite a while about various things.

I reminded him of Scott's solo wonder goal that night against his Oldham side. Not only did Dowie remember the goal but he was positively raving about it and said what a terrific player Murray was! 

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Ralph Milne vs Bury 1988. Damned if I can find video. Milne crossfield to Walsh, Walsh crossfield back to Milne, 20-25 yards out, volley back into the opposite top corner.

Superb.

Scratch that, got it:

21 minutes into the above. Closer than I thought and only shows the finish (in my defence I was nine so it seemed further)

Lee Matthews in a 3-1 win at Reading about 20 years ago under Wilson. A lovely one or two-touch flowing team move to cap off a superb second-half comeback in front of 5,000 City fans under the lights at the Madejski. God, that team was fantastic to watch. 

Noble’s at Palace in the play-off semi-final second leg was the best strike in the biggest game. The only celebration that came close to that was after Murray’s second goal at Ninian. Absolute scenes. 

Joe Bryan v Crystal Palace in the carabao Cup is definitely one of my favourites. He had no right to score from that angle but did. Callum actually played and scored a decent goal as well. 

Ivan Sproule scored a fantastic goal I think it was against Southampton (can't find any video unfortunately). Maynard against QPR... Fam v QPR... Walsh v QPR. Brownhill v Cardiff. Roberts v Hartlepool. There are so many. 

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Ralph Milne vs Bury 1988. Damned if I can find video. Milne crossfield to Walsh, Walsh crossfield back to Milne, 20-25 yards out, volley back into the opposite top corner.

Superb.

Anyone else remember the Ralph Milne lob away at York in a torrential downpour, I think we had to win to guarantee a playoff spot?

Archived