IGNORED

Your favourite City goal

Fordy62

6 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

There is lots of obvious ones I could pick - Bryan or Smith vs United, Bryan vs Rovers, Bryan vs Swindon, JET vs Rovers, Noble vs Palace, Trundle vs Palace..

One from left field that I remembered was Brooker vs Norwich in 08’. Not an especially impressive goal, but was incredibly late in the game and was a really important win. Sadly no video footage I could find.

Another that I’ve remembered is Wilbraham vs Swinson in the 3-0 win.

I just knew after that goal we were definitely going up. He struck the shot with such venom, and I was very close to Cotterill in the Williams stand. I could see how much it meant to Cotterill and it felt like we’d finally got payback for November.

1.00 in this clip 

https://youtu.be/6-3wag9stNc

You beat us fair and square that night so no complaints but did get me thinking about previous games 

One of today's goals against Coventry wasn't bad either 

13 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

Sorry the video’s not the best quality, and for the Italian commentary, but Louis Carey’s goal against Palace in the play offs back in 2008 has always been a favourite of mine. It was overshadowed by Noble’s worldy in the same game, but this goal was a thing of beauty in its own right.

Had forgotten about this one- a great freekick routine, for a period we had some notably good/clever free kick routines under GJ!

12 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Roberts goal against Mansfield a spin and rocket to win it after being dead and buried,sure I’ve seen better goals but still makes my hair stand up when seeing it on YouTube   

Never seen this before.... Thank you!!

Great find @SX227

Andersen- top class strike. Pulis shipped him out IIRC? Watched some of the game, looks like we got battered somewhat yet great point- away to the outstanding side that year Sunderland. Liked Bell's assist too!

On a general note, is it me or was football noisier here 20 years ago? I know all-seater accelerated things but even from say all-seater to now, it seems to have got quieter by the decade IMO! When I say noisier, big games in whatever era will push it up, but the average game, or noise per fan generated- seemed it 15-20, even at times 10 years ago. 

East End even modern smaller version helped of course- fantastic acoustics and seems easier to make noise in a relatively uncomfortable/older stand.

8 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Ralph Milne vs Bury 1988. Damned if I can find video. Milne crossfield to Walsh, Walsh crossfield back to Milne, 20-25 yards out, volley back into the opposite top corner.

Superb.

Yep, this is my favourite goal, just couldn't remember who it was against. Absolutely brilliant goal!! 

9 hours ago, tunnie12345 said:

John stead v qpr or Dave cotterill v Huddersfield... (first time he was here). 

Both games we were on awful runs of form. Think QPR were top at the time and the noise when stead hit a scream was louder than anything I have heard at the gate befor. 

Cotts goal we had lost 9 in a row when Gary Johnson first started and it put us 2-0 against Huddersfield who again were top. The relief was just crazy as he took it round about 5 people and scored! 

32 seconds in for the stead goal

Very well remembered.

I had kind of forgotten them, but thinking back  feared the worst in both of the games, with the GJ run and with us being bottom or close to under Millen and shipping a few vs table topping QPR. Both times we dug a performance out of the bag and a great goal in each to boot.

Not so much for its aesthetic merit this one but reading Lee Matthews name reminded me.

Last penalty at home vs Millwall in the rain, the week before. Friday night and with the rain teeming down under the lights- vs high flying Millwall- think it was quite atmospheric?

From memory that game had it all- and then 90 minutes comes and Lee Matthews winner on debut from the spot! Sure there were 2 penalties and multiple red cards- that final penalty was last minute winner too I think! Two penalties and four red cards, that was it. Matthews was off the bench that night, on debut!

Personally quite enjoyed it beyond that- back from holiday that day, a nice relaxing Friday night at the football eh! :laughcont: Great way to start the weekend anyway.

Just finally got to the Murray goal- and what a goal! Vs Oldham I mean.

Good win that, didn't realise until mentioned/certainly didn't remember Oldham came to us undefeated oin the road- no mean feat to be undefeated on the road by early March in any League. Clearly a tough nut to crack.

"Boring Boring Oldham"

As they went down the tunnel at HT and indeed not long after the first. Don't remember many teams getting that- only other one that springs readily to mind was Warnock's Bury (RIP to that club) in 1999 in one, perhaps two games.

07:36 onwards for the Millwall 2001 highlights- for those interested.

Was a cracking atmosphere considering what the attendance would've been compared to the redeveloped AG at Championship level!

22:22 for the pretty mad passage of play that culminated in the last minute Matthews pen- had forgotten all about it but guess who gave away said penalty! :)

23:59 for the actual handball call.

14 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Yeh... I’m bored.... please give your favourite City goals and include YouTube link if possible, I’ll go first, I think that this is the best City goal ever. 

Granted, it was meaningless and he’d later go onto become zero from hero, but my what technical skills these were...

`Paul Cheesley away to Arsenal in Division 1. We won 1-0 

14 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Can never remember if it was Cashley or Gibbo that scored from a kick out of his area....... closely followed by a Galley volley from a corner at Eastend end against.....somebody more recent Tinman at Anfield and Cheesley v Arse

It was Cashley and i remember it was a night match 

22 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Bob Newman v Newport - 40 yarder

Jimmy Mann v Forest - million yarder (in my head) past Shilton

Trevor Morgan v Chester - best headed goal I’ve seen at AG

Lee Tomlin v Wednesday - assisted himself and half volley goal

Joe Bryan v Man Utd - purest of pure strikes

I wondered if someone would remember Jimmy Mann's goal, was there that day with a perfect position in the Enclosure it was about 35 yards and beat Shilton rising all the time, not many people ever beat Shilton from that range which tells you how special it was I was going to post it as my favourite.

Personal favourite.... Joe v Man Utd. Everything about that goal was perfect.

A few that haven't been mentioned yet so the following honourable mentions

Ralph Milne's double against Palace in the league cup 1988, one of which was the best p!ss take of a finish I think I've ever seen....35 yards over the stranded keeper.

Mickey Bells stunning free kick double v Plymouth..... One in each top corner.

Carl Shutt's amazing bicycle kick equaliser in about the 5th minute of extra time in the FA Cup at Aldershot in 1989.

Of those I've seen live:

Whitehead v Pompey to secure promotion for emotion and significance.

Sproule and Skuse v Leicester away. Would struggle to see two goals of such brilliance in one game.

Galley v Orient back in the early 70s. We were 3 down at half time and came back to win 5-3 if I remember correctly . Galley scored a thumping goal almost over his shoulder from the edge of the box at the open end, where I was stood.

Not seen live:

Cheesley v Arsenal a demonstration of what might have been.

Noble v Palace - just a screamer and in hindsight set us uo for the PO final.

Maynard v QPR. Individual brilliance and had it been scored in the prem or by Messi it would still be being replayed regularly!

Maynard v Newcastle. Cut in from the left and curled brilliantly into the far right hand corner. Torres scored an almost identical goal for Liverpool  ( same day I think) but while Torre’s goal was fawned over by the pundits Maynard’s got virtually no mention anywhere.

32 minutes ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

Anyone remember Matt Bryant v stoke. FA cup  (I think) mid 90's beat ronnie Sinclair in the stoke goal all ends up from about 30 yards?

Yep possibly 35 years out in front of the atyeo.  Thunderbolt 

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Of those I've seen live:

Sproule and Skuse v Leicester away. Would struggle to see two goals of such brilliance in one game.

Galley v Orient back in the early 70s. We were 3 down at half time and came back to win 5-3 if I remember correctly . Galley scored a thumping goal almost over his shoulder from the edge of the box at the open end, where I was stood.

Not seen live:

Maynard v QPR. Individual brilliance and had it been scored in the prem or by Messi it would still be being replayed regularly!

Maynard v Newcastle. Cut in from the left and curled brilliantly into the far right hand corner. Torres scored an almost identical goal for Liverpool  ( same day I think) but while Torre’s goal was fawned over by the pundits Maynard’s got virtually no mention anywhere.

That Newcastle game was Millen’s first in charge after GJ was relieved of duties. Andy Carroll v Nicky Maynard - if you had to say which one Liverpool would pay £50m for in a few years, on the evidence of that match it wouldn’t have been Carroll!

My favourite is the JET goal in the last derby against the Gas. It was like the big boy coming in and showing the kids how to play!

13 minutes ago, TomF said:

Yep possibly 35 years out in front of the atyeo.  Thunderbolt 

Possibly the longest shot in the history of football - was it just ordinary years or light years? :) 

God Taylor’s 3rd here v Crewe (39m 30secs) - bittersweet in a way, as complete a striker as I’ve seen at The Gate at the peak of his powers, completing a hat-trick but then getting stretchered off 5 mins later, and surely costing us the title. What a team that was and what a striker.

Can’t upload the link properly but YouTube 89-90 season! 

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

07:36 onwards for the Millwall 2001 highlights- for those interested.

Was a cracking atmosphere considering what the attendance would've been compared to the redeveloped AG at Championship level!

22:22 for the pretty mad passage of play that culminated in the last minute Matthews pen- had forgotten all about it but guess who gave away said penalty! :)

23:59 for the actual handball call.

Play off semi finals aside I don’t think I can remember a more raucous atmosphere on a night match. 

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Of those I've seen live:

Not seen live:

All players who could, perhaps should, have achieved more with us- and us with them.

Imagine hypothetically speaking, we had Maynard in 2007/08- top 2 quite possible?

Back in reality, at a time 4-4-2/strike pairings were more in vogue at this level- a fully fit Maynard and Brooker pair- top 6? Or failing that, a sort of loose 4-3-3 with Sproule and McIndoe as wide forwards and Maynard through the middle- and that is where Noble comes in as a fully on point Noble could see us dominate the ball in a 3- he had excellent moments but still the feeling lingers that he could have achieved much more. Of course this would have required a fully fit Brooker!

The good thing about the loose 4-3-3 is that Maynard wasn't just a pure through the middle striker- could quite easily see him pulling wider and Sproule going in the middle even just for purposes of quick breaks or to run at the opposition and win free kicks/penalties- phases not Plan A but phases worth considering! That 4-3-3 would have McIndoe but especially Sproule as something more approaching wide forwards than traditional wingers- but just a question of pulling wider or tucking in as and when.

(Of course Cheeseley too but he was before my time- but my understanding is he was a great talent or talent on the rise before injury).

Archived