Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Your favourite City goal


Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Very well remembered.

I had kind of forgotten them, but thinking back  feared the worst in both of the games, with the GJ run and with us being bottom or close to under Millen and shipping a few vs table topping QPR. Both times we dug a performance out of the bag and a great goal in each to boot.

QPRgame ended 1-1 I can't remember who scored from them at the death I just remember whoever it was, we had them on loan and he was awful and then came on against us and scored straight away 😕

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Ralph Milne vs Bury 1988. Damned if I can find video. Milne crossfield to Walsh, Walsh crossfield back to Milne, 20-25 yards out, volley back into the opposite top corner.

Superb.

 

I would love to see that goal again.I was in the park end so didn’t have the best view but what a volley

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tunnie12345 said:

QPRgame ended 1-1 I can't remember who scored from them at the death I just remember whoever it was, we had them on loan and he was awful and then came on against us and scored straight away 😕

It did but result and performance better than expected.

What I mean is we were conceding quite a few under Millen in the runup to that one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/08/2020 at 13:28, bristolcitysweden said:

Steve Neville v Hereford. For a second time stood still.

He seemed to take an age before he slotted it home.Probably the best night of my city supporting life narrowly beating Liverpool away and Forest semi final away.

God I love the city

  • Robin 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

That season in general, a few...

Trundle was it his home debut, vs Scunthorpe in August I think- one if not both were fantastic. He for us was a bit of a scorer of great goals, not a great goal scorer.

Elliott first half of the season- a number of piledrivers. Quite enjoyed the one in October for the return of Pulis. :) Can't remember who the others were against but the Stoke one certainly rings a bell.

Sproule was mentioned vs Southampton for his 2009 one- sure he also scored another similarly long running one vs Southampton in October 2007 as well. Unless that's the one people mean but he definitely scored a long running goal in each I'm sure!

A couple more although less for the aesthetics/long range more for the moment itself.

Orr I think it was, at home vs West Brom in September. Night game, first real big test- yeah we'd played against a number of solid or reasonable sides but actual vs one of the big hitters- had to absorb quite a lot of pressure I think but last minute equaliser and unbeaten run maintained!

Elliott though less spectacular than some of his earlier ones, vs Cardiff. May even have been a routine goal but was in December- freezing day. First time we'd played them since 2003 playoffs, nice little hoodoo laid to rest?

Oh yeah, another- can't remember who got it but last minute equaliser vs Crystal Palace. I remember it for a number of reasons- rare Monday night game, floodlights I'm sure failed at the start or before kick off- some of them anyway- and there was lengthy stoppage time, with Warnock of course complaining again about the length or similar! :thumbsup:

Couple of good ones from 2009-10.

Well Maynard- take your pick! Seem to recall in August of his 4 goals vs Crystal Palace, QPR and Middlesbrough at least 3 were pretty special. Even the 4th was solidly taken. Crystal Palace and Middlesbrough games in particular were quite nice, the first because of the Ghost Goal- what a shame for Warnock :whistle2: and the second because we were playing a side with 10 pts from 4, zero goals conceded in that time and top of the League- oh and we'd just lost at home to Carlisle in an abysmal midweek League Cup game- yet we bounced back brilliantly!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That season in general, a few...

Trundle was it his home debut, vs Scunthorpe in August I think- one if not both were fantastic. He for us was a bit of a scorer of great goals, not a great goal scorer.

Elliott first half of the season- a number of piledrivers. Quite enjoyed the one in October for the return of Pulis. :) Can't remember who the others were against but the Stoke one certainly rings a bell.

Sproule was mentioned vs Southampton for his 2009 one- sure he also scored another similarly long running one vs Southampton in October 2007 as well. Unless that's the one people mean but he definitely scored a long running goal in each I'm sure!

A couple more although less for the aesthetics/long range more for the moment itself.

Orr I think it was, at home vs West Brom in September. Night game, first real big test- yeah we'd played another of solid or reasonable sides but actual vs one of the big hitters- had to absorb quite a lot of pressure I think but last minute equaliser and unbeaten run maintained!

Elliott though less spectacular than some of his earlier ones, vs Cardiff. May even have been a routine goal but was in December- freezing day. First time we'd played them since 2003 playoffs, nice little hoodoo laid to rest?

Oh yeah, another- can't remember who got it but last minute equaliser vs Crystal Palace. I remember it for a number of reasons- rare Monday night game, floodlights I'm sure failed at the start or before kick off- some of them anyway- and there was lengthy stoppage time, with Warnock of course complaining again about the length or similar! :thumbsup:

Couple of good ones from 2009-10.

Well Maynard- take your pick! Seem to recall in August of his 4 goals vs Crystal Palace, QPR and Middlesbrough at least 3 were pretty special. Even the 4th was solidly taken. Crystal Palace and Middlesbrough games in particular were quite nice, the first because of the Ghost Goal- what a shame for Warnock :whistle2: and the second because we were playing a side with 10 pts from 4, zero goals conceded in that time and top of the League- oh and we'd just lost at home to Carlisle in an abysmal midweek League Cup game- yet we bounced back brilliantly!

I remember that one, Ishmael Miller was almost unplayable for them that night.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/08/2020 at 13:57, Davefevs said:

Bob Newman v Newport - 40 yarder

Jimmy Mann v Forest - million yarder (in my head) past Shilton

Trevor Morgan v Chester - best headed goal I’ve seen at AG

Lee Tomlin v Wednesday - assisted himself and half volley goal

Joe Bryan v Man Utd - purest of pure strikes

That's odd, in my top 5 I'd have Trevor Morgan v Chester but the one that won us promotion at Chester

Not for its quality just for it's importance in getting us back on track after a nightmarish 4 years

  • Robin 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

That's odd, in my top 5 I'd have Trevor Morgan v Chester but the one that won us promotion at Chester

Not for its quality just for it's importance in getting us back on track after a nightmarish 4 years

Well although I was at that match, I have no recollection at all of Morgan's goal (drink had been taken) but still I agree with you, one of the best goals ever! 🍻 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Well although I was at that match, I have no recollection at all of Morgan's goal (drink had been taken) but still I agree with you, one of the best goals ever! 🍻 😂

I know what you mean, it was a long time ago and a lot if drink was consumed.

I think I'm right in saying Morgan scored both goals. He opened the scoring, they equalised and Trevor got a late winner that sent the travelling fans wild. Just about my favourite away day because of what had gone before 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/08/2020 at 14:46, Gazred said:

David Seal scored a few crackers. Vaguely remember a thumping volley from outside the box at home to Bournemouth(?).

 

Loved David Seal for this very reason. I remember a throw-in in front of the opposition dugout where the taker just dropped it to Seal right in front of him. Seal just moved it with the outside of his right boot and launched it into the top right corner of the Atyeo goal that I was right behind.

My favourite goal, as I have described on here before, was very similar in that it came straight towards me behind that goal, although it was the open end at the time.

I absolutely adored Joe Jordan as player-manager. It was 89/90, his last season as a player (and I believe his last goal). We had been through the excitement of the run to the League Cup semi, and we were at home to Gillingham with the season tailing off. It was a dire stalemate, so late on Joe brought himself on. He got put through on the halfway line with nobody near him, carried the ball left to right on a diagonal run and launched an absolute rocket that was still rising when it hit the top left corner. If the net hadn't been there I swear it would have taken my head off.

When interviewed after the match, he said, "I just had to hit it, I couldn't run any more".

 

I ony wish I could find the footage and see it again.

Edited by Superjack
Last sentence.
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eighteen ninetyfour said:

First game of the 2008 season vs QPR

 

1-1 going into final minutes of the game as i recall

Scott Murray turns and smashes it from 30 yards in to sail into the top right, crowd going absolutely mental.

Only for QPR to equalise in the dying minutes. 

Typical City ey!

Trundle scored a couple of beauties next home game too irrc 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure I can recall Keith Curle bringing the ball out of defence and went past everyone to score.  It was night game in the mid 80's possibly against Newport. 

Edited by MSN Red
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Victory Park Reds said:

I would love to see that goal again.I was in the park end so didn’t have the best view but what a volley

I was in the EastEnd and if the net wasn’t there I could have caught it! Was a peach from the second it left his boot. I think he made his debut that day with John Vaughan - the keeper.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t and won’t be able to find it anywhere but for sheer atmosphere and passion I always remember Colin Gordon v Doncaster at home in 1988. Filthy day I think and Big Joe flicked one on, and Gordon almost decapitated the keeper before scoring. Took us into the play-offs. Tense day on the EastEnd that was.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Superjack said:

Loved David Seal for this very reason. I remember a throw-in in front of the opposition dugout where the taker just dropped it to Seal right in front of him. Seal just moved it with the outside of his right boot and launched it into the top right corner of the Atyeo goal that I was right behind.

My favourite goal, as I have described on here before, was very similar in that it came straight towards me behind that goal, although it was the open end at the time.

I absolutely adored Joe Jordan as player-manager. It was 89/90, his last season as a player (and I believe his last goal). We had been through the excitement of the run to the League Cup semi, and we were at home to Gillingham with the season tailing off. It was a dire stalemate, so late on Joe brought himself on. He got put through on the halfway line with nobody near him, carried the ball left to right on a diagonal run and launched an absolute rocket that was still rising when it hit the top left corner. If the net hadn't been there I swear it would have taken my head off.

When interviewed after the match, he said, "I just had to hit it, I couldn't run any more".

 

I ony wish I could find the footage and see it again.

*88/89.

89/90 was promotion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Can’t and won’t be able to find it anywhere but for sheer atmosphere and passion I always remember Colin Gordon v Doncaster at home in 1988. Filthy day I think and Big Joe flicked one on, and Gordon almost decapitated the keeper before scoring. Took us into the play-offs. Tense day on the EastEnd that was.

It is in a 1988 compilation on YouTube, I watched it yesterday looking for the Ralph Milne goal away at York. Near the end obviously!

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

All of them have been mentioned, but those that I was lucky enough to witness are -

Jimmy Mann V Forest (absolute screamer and such a sweet strike).

Donny Gillies V Coventry (for pure tension)

Louie Donowa V Rovers ( what an atmosphere that night)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but the best goal I've witnessed was McIndoe's free kick vs Palace in the play-off semi. Whilst individually not the best goal, it meant so much.

I've still not been in an atmosphere like it, and the relief and sheer joy when it went in was amazing. I was directly behind the goal, with the perfect view, although stood on my own as I didn't think I'd be able to make it so only got a ticket late on, as I was a student in Cardiff at the time. But when that hit the net, I was hugging and celebrating with everyone else around me.

This isn't quite my view of it, I was more central, but it goes some way to capturing the scene and celebratory limb-fest in the aftermath. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/08/2020 at 20:09, Fordy62 said:

Yeh... I’m bored.... please give your favourite City goals and include YouTube link if possible, I’ll go first, I think that this is the best City goal ever. 

Granted, it was meaningless and he’d later go onto become zero from hero, but my what technical skills these were...

 

Thinking about the great goals over the decades in the last 24 hours and are we looking for spectacular goals or goals that mean to us for other historical reasons or goals that have Been set in our minds and will never be forgotten.

Ray Cashley at home to Hull on a dark bleak night. I was in the open end and the ball from Ray at the east end bounced in front of the Hull City Goalie about 20 meters out and the ball  went over The Hull City keepers  head, its an un usually goal although not spectacular but a great memory.

Joe Royle goals scoring all 4 against Middlesborough on his debut. All were great goals in November 1977. I remember that night going to the off license to pick up me dads cider and the famous “green un” newspaper and the headlines were City has now got the icing on the cake. My mum still has the paper.

other great goals for various reason were from Tommy the sticks Ritchie in 83 and 84 he scored some beautifull goals from various assistS from Howard Pritchard and Glynn Riley.

Even some Norman Hunter free kicks from just out side the box. Hunter always had his socks rolled down and always hit the ball at low level with great results.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, TomF said:

Does anyone actually have video footage of Ralph Milnes goal..

 

 

Not the build up Tom but the finish 21.47

 

Great great nostalgic memories - Milne was excellent for us and definitely had some talent

(see his finish v Palace in the Littlewoods cup run in video below)

 

Cael Shutt - exciting & xcellent goalscorer , ohhhhhh happy days 

Far more regular exciting action . and football ,  and fun,  than the last few years

 

@Superjack

I think the Joe Jordan goal you refer to is at 17.10 in video above

 

 

Videos courtesy , and with much gratitude of @1960maaan (Had so many hours enjoyment watching these videos)

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Got to be Ray Cashley's goal....memorable... he was sat in front of me in the SS when we had our celebrations, he recalled it and said he would never ever forget it. Well done Ray.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...