IGNORED

Man C v Lyon Champs League Q Final

wendyredredrobin

Both two leg and one leg ties have merit IMO. These have been particularly enjoyable however!

Was a shame Atalanta couldn't hold out, would've been great for a town that suffered so much in the pandemic.

Also I quite like majorly overacheving sides with modest means...petrostate backed clubs, not so much! Between the two it's lesser of two evils in a lot of cases.

Just seen the Sterling miss. Kinnell!! Somewhat inept by Ederson at other end too.

Lyon appear to be a bit of a bogey side for Man City as well. Took 4 points from them in Group stages 2018/19.

Is Fraudiola trending on social media yet? 

Hasn't won the champions league since 2011 where he inherited Messi, xavi, Iniesta, Puyol etc. 

Bayern won the treble the year before he joined and took them backwards. 

Went to man city with the best squad and unlimited budget with the sole aim of winning the champions league and in 4 attempts, has not made it passed the quarter finals. Pellegrini made the semi final in his second year. 

But hey, the carabao Cup is definitely worth it. 

Two german and two french team left in the tournament, unusual. Did not see the game yesterday but seen Lyon before, they can play good football. Res Bull Leipzig is not popular in Germany, the Red Bull money have made it possible for them. We can have opinions about that but Leipzig is a very good team. A swedish player, Forsberg, is playing there most of the times he is on the bench. He went to RB Leipzig when they were in the second Bundesliga thre years ago. Forsberg is one of few classplayers we have in Sweden.  Leipzig can beat Bayern, they done it in Bundesliga. Remember last season LJ was in Leipzig I was hoping he should bring some of there players to our Club. Think Red Bull came in to Leipzig when they were in the third division. Leipzig is from east Germany, until 1989 it was DDR. Red Bull have also a team in Austria, RB Salzburg. After seeing Bayerns 8-2 win vs Barca its difficault to see another team win the Champions leauge.

I'm also a huge fan of the one-legged mini tournament - there is obviously a number of other variables to think about, especially cost to fans, what happens in major tournament years etc but a week long mini tournament could really ease fixture congestion and also make being in the Europa more desirable. 

Less midweek games at the end of the season stops this whole 'they're tired after the midweek exploits', especially during the run in, and would help revive domestic Cups without having to prioritise between three competitions. 

Can't argue it hasn't been a good watch, and I think Europa League has been a big winner out of it. 

It seems a crazy notion that less football is actually sometimes more! 

11 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Nothing against Man City, because the majority of Premier League clubs are the same, but the only thing English about the club are the fans. 

Not even sure about that.  Have you ever walked around Manchester city centre?  The natives are now well outnumbered.  Mind you Bristol isn't any different, I suppose.

10 hours ago, Super said:

That Sterling miss is one of the worst i have ever seen.

Sterling has missed almost identical chances just like that one, many times before, but I have to say I had thought Pep (and his coaching staff) had coached that out of him. More worked to be done there, and now mentally too, as I’m sure that’ll will haunt him for a while!

Gotta say I do feel slightly sorry for the lad. As I think Man City would have probably gone on to win the quarter final. However, I’m not convinced they would have beaten Bayern in the semi, but of course they would have had a chance.

On 15/08/2020 at 21:47, joe jordans teeth said:

Sterling is what David luiz is to defending,good some times but doesn’t half drop some clangers 

Nonsense, the last 2 seasons Sterling’s been pretty clinical. He’s nowhere near David Luiz levels of “mistakes” since Pep came in

Would be great.

I'm very much hoping PSG do not though- can't have some petrostate club winning it, Bayern meh- probably the outstanding team but won it too often, Leipzig- would be more novel than the other two and they're lower budget than the other two but quite unpopular in Germany due to how they came into being.

Very much like Lyon to win it however!

The inlaws and a few friends are all OL supporters, some are season ticket holders and ultras "les bad gones", so absolute scenes over there the other night. They would love nothing more than to stick one over Paris in the final i can guarentee you that! They seem delighted to still be in it and even reach a semi final in reality. No real superstars in the side bar Depay's ego and a solid reputation for bringing through native talent. Good club, they've done well to get this far.

Best of luck to them, they will certainly need some against Bayern.

On 15/08/2020 at 21:42, Spud55 said:

I assume we have just binned of the offside rule completely? I believe it's wording is still a player is offside if they are seeking to gain an advantage by being in an offside position? Or have they changed that as well? And how in the name of christ can you not be interfering with play if the ball goes through your legs? 

This. What a farce of a rule, especially now we have VAR that can now review the intentions of the passer and receiver. The midfielders pass was clearly meant for the offside player, so there is a clear deception in that he cajoled the defenders into making a movement towards him, but then decides to let it run through his legs. Can anyone confirm if this rule was updated before VAR or to coincide with the introduction of it?

Archived