IGNORED

Time machine City squad

Phileas Fogg

It’s pretty much impossible! 

The ones would be included for me would be Webster - the best CB Ive seen at City in over 50 years.

Gow - the best midfielder by a country mile.

Murray - at his best most exciting winger of them all.

Strikers is tough....Cheesely for sure and as a natural goalscorer I’d go for Tony ‘tap in’ Thorpe or Andy Cole.

First game in 1990 but I think football player have got better in recent years as more is known about conditioning, fitness etc. so heavily loaded with more recent players.

GK Tom Heaton

RB Bradley Orr

RCB Tomas Kalas (first season with us)

LCB Adam Webster

LB Martin Scott

RM Scott Murray

CM Josh Brownhill

CM - Marvin Elliott

LM Brian Tinnion

ST Bobby Reid

ST Tammy Abraham

Back-ups

GK - Adriano Basso

RB - Mark Little

CB - Shaun Taylor

CB - Steven Caulker

LB - Joe Bryan

RM - Adomah

CM - Marlon Pack

CM - Korey Smith

LM - Actually struggling to think of someone I want so going to go for Eliasson switching wings. 

ST - Kodjia

ST - Diedhiou

GK - Heaton (12/13) (although relegated)

CB - Carey (07/08)
CB - Webster (18/19)
CB - Caulker (10/11)

RWB/RM - Murray (02/03)
CM - Tinnion (00/01)
CM - Hartley (09/10)
CM - Noble (06/07)
LWB - Bryan (14/15)

ST - Akinbiyi (98/99)
ST - JET (13/14)

Subs:
Basso (07/08)
S Taylor (97/98)
Kalas (18/19)
Amankwaah (01/02)
Elliott (07/08)
Brownhill (18/19)
Bell (97/98)
Abraham (16/17)
Reid (17/18)
Goater (97/98)

10 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

It seems to me that too many on this thread are too young to remember the glory that was John Galley. In the day, we would walk a million miles for one of his goals.

Sorry can't help not being alive then. Think most younger posters would admit we did have better players during 60s 70s and 80s, but can't judge a player if you didn't see them play

Just now, 2015 said:

Sorry can't help not being alive then. Think most younger posters would admit we did have better players during 60s 70s and 80s, but can't judge a player if you didn't see them play

You tell young people today and they would not believe you!! Look up Big John's first year with City, he started with a hat-trick at Huddersfield and went on to score over 20 in that first season. His first match was at the end of December.  Now THAT was a centre forward!

On 15/08/2020 at 19:08, Phileas Fogg said:

Following on from @Fordy62’s topic about goals, it got me thinking about if I could make a City match day squad of players at the peak of their powers..

The challenge is to make a squad of players from the season you feel they were at their best. Not necessarily the best team possible.. but your favourite players at that moment in time.

Use the timescale you’ve been watching City for and any formation you want.. for me, I’ve only been watching since 05 so kept it within that timeline

I think mine would go something like this...

GK - Basso (07/08 season)

RWB -  Ayling (14/15 season)

CB - Carey (07/08 season)

CB - Flint (14/15 season)

CB - Caulker (08/09 season)

LWB - Bryan (14/15 season)

CM - Hartley (08/09 season)

CM - Elliot (07/08 season)

CAM - Noble (07/08 season)

ST - JET (13/14 season)

ST - Trundle (07/08 season)

SUB:

McCombe (07/08 season)

Orr (07/08 season)

Smith (14/15 season)

Sno (09/10 season)

Adomah (10/11 season)

Abraham (16/17 season)

Maynard (09/10 season)

Incredibly entertaining forward line.. not much pressing though!

Always surprises me that Hartley almost always gets a listing in posts like this.  My memory of him was that his form in his one season for City was patchy: some excellent games, but others where he was poor, and he did not always get selected.

10 minutes ago, 2015 said:

It would very interesting to match the first division team of 1976 against today’s squad.  Having been watching City for over 50 years, my feeling is that the current Championship is at least as strong as the first division was 40 years ago, and possibly stronger.  I think the City team that got promotion in 1976 might struggle to make the top half of the Championship in today’s game.  The squad we have now (or at least across the last three seasons) is probably the strongest in our history.

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

It would very interesting to match the first division team of 1976 against today’s squad.  Having been watching City for over 50 years, my feeling is that the current Championship is at least as strong as the first division was 40 years ago, and possibly stronger.  I think the City team that got promotion in 1976 might struggle to make the top half of the Championship in today’s game.  The squad we have now (or at least across the last three seasons) is probably the strongest in our history.

Training and coaching have clearly improved as have nutrition and medical treatment.  In terms of raw talent though, a large number of the players from 50 or so years ago would still make the grade.  In 30 years time people will largely have forgotten the huge talents of people like Scotty Murray, for example. I feel that I was lucky to have been around at the time of John Galley. 

31 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Always surprises me that Hartley almost always gets a listing in posts like this.  My memory of him was that his form in his one season for City was patchy: some excellent games, but others where he was poor, and he did not always get selected.

Agreed!  Many games passed him by.  Might of been his team mates though.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I actually think that, if the 1966 England World Cup winners got into a time machine and played a game against us, or any Championship side, they would lose nine times out of ten due to the difference in fitness and athleticism in today's players. (Obviously if they had come through the same training regime and diet for a year beforehand first, it would be a different story). For that reason alone, I'd agree our players for the last five years are probably the strongest we've ever had. As @Bat Fastard says training, coaching, nutrition and medical treatment have come on leaps and bounds. I think it would be massively difficult for a player with a 1960s or 70s lifestyle, however talented, to get beyond League One or League Two...

On 16/08/2020 at 15:43, And Its Smith said:

Think OP said favourite season not best.  In Goodridge’s first season he was incredibly exciting. 

If there was such a record for most step overs in a season, it would still be his.

57 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I actually think that, if the 1966 England World Cup winners got into a time machine and played a game against us, or any Championship side, they would lose nine times out of ten due to the difference in fitness and athleticism in today's players. (Obviously if they had come through the same training regime and diet for a year beforehand first, it would be a different story). For that reason alone, I'd agree our players for the last five years are probably the strongest we've ever had. As @Bat Fastard says training, coaching, nutrition and medical treatment have come on leaps and bounds. I think it would be massively difficult for a player with a 1960s or 70s lifestyle, however talented, to get beyond League One or League Two...

Mind you, some of us were very well nourished and that laid the foundation for the fine specimens we are today.

Archived