IGNORED

Europe - Lots of red faces

Major Isewater

Great things happened in European competition last week , the hilarious thrashing of Barcelona, Gardiola failing yet again when the door was ajar , Man Utd falling once more at a semi , I don’t take any malicious sort of pleasure just that I am happy to see more open competitions .

Without doubt , the big clubs in the Champion’s League will clamour for a return to two leg ties which gives them more chance to avoid ‘ freak ‘ results. 

Shows how hard it is to find top level players even for the biggest clubs in the world. All the big clubs have struggled to find young players who can impact the first team immediately. Finding it hard to transition after older players leave or drop off a level or two. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Shows how hard it is to find top level players even for the biggest clubs in the world. All the big clubs have struggled to find young players who can impact the first team immediately. Finding it hard to transition after older players leave or drop off a level or two. 

True , however , lesser clubs have evidently fashioned squads and teams who can beat the old guard. 

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Great things happened in European competition last week , the hilarious thrashing of Barcelona, Gardiola failing yet again when the door was ajar , Man Utd falling once more at a semi , I don’t take any malicious sort of pleasure just that I am happy to see more open competitions .

Without doubt , the big clubs in the Champion’s League will clamour for a return to two leg ties which gives them more chance to avoid ‘ freak ‘ results. 

Man U falling at the semi gave me a semi too.

3 minutes ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

Going to be a really interesting period in the CL qualifying stages now as well, with one off games and a random home/away draw deciding each round.

Could see plenty of bigger sides falling (especially if they get an away draw).

Definitely. Different leagues are going to be at massively different stages in terms of fitness and preparation too - could be some real shocks...

29 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Definitely. Different leagues are going to be at massively different stages in terms of fitness and preparation too - could be some real shocks...

You mean more like the European Cup in the 70s when clubs from Scotland (Celtic), Greece (Panathinaikos), Belgium (Bruges) and Sweden (Malmo) made the final. Great!

About time the Champions League “closed shop” was given a bit of a shake up. That said if any club other than Bayern Munich wins this year that would probably constitute a shock.

Archived