IGNORED

Backing Holden in this transfer window

Tangle Foot

If Holden wants to sign a realistic transfer target (Joe Williams, just for example, not Messi). How far do you think SL and board go to back him?

I honestly believe that Holden is in the best position he is ever likely to be in. Unless he goes on prove his doubters wrong, and be a real success.

What do you guys think?

COYR.

Depends on the ever elusive dynamic between MA, the incumbent head coach (DH) and SL when it comes to transfer decisions. MA might already have irons in fire that he may or may not consult DH on. Not sure how long ago transfer plans start to take place, we may have already had summer targets before LJ was even sacked in which case DH might be obliged to look towards the Jan window to have his say? Just spit ballin'.

1 hour ago, Marty said:

I think he has to sus out what he already has first. How long that'll take, gawd knows.

After four years as LJ’s assistant, Holden should already know the squad inside out including any weaknesses he wants to address.

I don’t think he has too big a say in new signings. He’ll get what he’s given by Trashton. 

If DH has a plan to be more attacking, then he needs to move on those who don't fit into that plan, and recruit new ones that do.

I'd like to see the back of the 'busy bees' - COD, Andi W and Pato.

When they are on, then they are very good - but that can be 1 in 5 games, and bang average the other 4.

I'd rather he played grafters who get stuck in - Rowe and Walsh for example, and add a sprinkle of flair - KP for example.

But first - not 'ones he can trust' - but a starting 11 that will put in the hard tackles, chase back and work up and down the pitch all day long. We have too many 'downhill skiers' as the saying goes.

Sadly we look like losing one of the best grafters in Fammy.

I'd rather lose 3-0 and try all game, than watch the dross of the last 2 years and lose 1-0 with the 'busy bees' contributing bugger all.

A solid midfield 4 would help - let us have the extra player for a change.

4-4-2

Keep it simple, and work your heart out for the shirt.

No doubt Deano will be expected to sell before buying the same as LJ was.

Famara and Eliasson are in the shop window and they likely to be off so there’ll be some income from those two - probably for undisclosed fees so nobody knows how much is available to spend.

In his online interview last week Dean referred to ‘a couple of additions’.  If Diedhiou and/or Eliasson go you’d expect them to be replaced, but otherwise I’d only expect a ball-winning midfielder and perhaps a commanding centre half.  Hopefully O’Leary, Vyner, Walsh, Morrell and Semenyo will feel like new signings.  Perhaps even Szmodics too.  Not the time to be flashing huge amounts of cash though.

6 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

In his online interview last week Dean referred to ‘a couple of additions’.  If Diedhiou and/or Eliasson go you’d expect them to be replaced, but otherwise I’d only expect a ball-winning midfielder and perhaps a commanding centre half.  Hopefully O’Leary, Vyner, Walsh, Morrell and Semenyo will feel like new signings.  Perhaps even Szmodics too.  Not the time to be flashing huge amounts of cash though.

Think every manager says they need a “couple” then they often sign about 6!

This time though it is probably true.

We are clearly interested in Joe Williams to replace Korey, but beyond that the only business I can see us doing is replacing Fam if he goes & then Ashley Williams if he does.

Even if Eliasson leaves I don’t see him being replaced if we are going 3-5-2.

I think several of those out on loan last season will move up the pecking order, certainly think the first 4 of those you mentioned will be in the first team squad this season.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

They’ll have to back him. They owe it to Holden really. Their terrible recruitment process has given Holden so much more pressure. They owe it to him to back him with a few signings.

They haven’t indicated expectations have changed, so we should expect some arrivals to push us into the top 6.

Thing is though what gives us any indication the board knows what they’re doing when it comes to getting their main transfer targets? 

Look at the TWO debacles with Nketiah. There are a lot of similarities between those pursuits and the five-week hunt for LJ’s assistant. 

As usual, clubs around us are doing business while we stand still. That will probably mean several last-minute additions of more deadwood in or around deadline day. 

This is obviously going to be a very different window to how it would have been without COVID. Of course, this is the same for all teams so is not an excuse for our performance but I do think it will mean there will be less activity than there might have been.

We need two central defenders and a defensive midfielder, plus a striker if Diedhiou goes. I expect all that to happen, albeit one of those defenders may be a re-signing of Williams. But I think that may be it. A few months ago I'd have said we needed new right and left wing backs too but I think we'll continue with Vyner and Rowe as back-ups to Hunt and Dasilva.

I think the reality for us, like most Championship clubs - especially those without parachute payments - is that spending is very difficult amongst global uncertainty and no clear date when things get back to "normal". 

Archived