IGNORED

Webster Q&A

Jeez

Theres was an interesting quote from Webby reflecting on his time at city - so why do we think we didn't make the playoffs in 18/19 season, given the quality in the squad?

The whole club, the fans, the boys that we had - I look back on that season with great memories. I met up with a few of the boys on holiday just recently [in Mykonos, Greece] and we still say now how we can't quite believe that we didn't at least make the playoffs that season.

Obviously it was in our hands for a long time. The togetherness in the squad that we had means it really baffles us how we didn't quite make it. A great bunch of lads.

For me it was Antoine's red card and the following defeat to Derby as the breaking point, I think if we'd got something from that Derby game we would have gone on to finish in the play offs, we'd have gone into the last game of the season at Hull with a win enough to secure a place in the play offs.

I think it was a combination of things. I don't think the keeper injuries helped. O'Leary acquitted himself well but I think the team started playing a bit more cautiously when they knew they were protecting an inexperienced guy between the sticks and I think that hampered our performances. I also think the manager over-adjusted when our winning run ended and kept tweaking to find a perfect formula and that this unsettled the team. And lastly I just think that, beyond Diedhiou, we just didn't have enough options up front.

It’s an interesting read, up to a point. There is nothing very controversial in there, unless you are one of those who believes in behind the scenes tensions, a manager who has lost the dressing room and cliquey infighting.

Webster is very complimentary about both LJ and DH and paints a picture of a very together group of players who are keeping in touch. Specifically he portrays LJ as a coach who provides very detailed help on an individual basis, and as a manager who pays close attention to how players are feeling after matches.

32 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Playing Pack for 46 games and never giving him a rest (bar the cup games) I think had an impact on the team. 

I think that's a very valid point and it also has relevance to the very great deal that's been said on multiple recent threads concerning our current midfield personnel. Pack and Brownhill, and perhaps to a lesser extent Smith, were our main, senior options and were flogged to death. Now we have none of them. Be interesting to see how we fare in their absence... 

It's easy to pick out the odd games and say X or Y was the turning point, but I think that's harsh. I think it's especially harsh to blame it on Semenyo's red card, we were losing that game already when that happened.

I think the answer is home form.

Only 8 victories at home all season. We drew 1-1 with Ipswich, Millwall and Reading, who finished in 24th, 21st and 20th places respectively - We also lost to Birmingham, Derby, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Preston, Sheffield Wednesday and Stoke.

As you can see there were lots of missed opportunities... Too many to blame one particular match.

5 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

I think that's a very valid point and it also has relevance to the very great deal that's been said on multiple recent threads concerning our current midfield personnel. Pack and Brownhill, and perhaps to a lesser extent Smith, were our main, senior options and were flogged to death. Now we have none of them. Be interesting to see how we fare in their absence... 

Quite right in terms of the shortage of midfielders at the time. Pack, Brownhill and Smith were pretty much it with little wriggle room unless forced by injury. 

Ideally rotating the engine room would have been sensible but wasn’t a really an option. No surprise that Pack played all the league matches.

26 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

When you think how good Morrell was in those cup games it's surprising he only ever featured once in the league that season, coming on for the injured Walsh at Ipswich. 

1 hour ago, Coxy27 said:

It's easy to pick out the odd games and say X or Y was the turning point, but I think that's harsh. I think it's especially harsh to blame it on Semenyo's red card, we were losing that game already when that happened.

I think the answer is home form.

Only 8 victories at home all season. We drew 1-1 with Ipswich, Millwall and Reading, who finished in 24th, 21st and 20th places respectively - We also lost to Birmingham, Derby, Leeds, Middlesbrough, Preston, Sheffield Wednesday and Stoke.

As you can see there were lots of missed opportunities... Too many to blame one particular match.

Agree, and when you look forward our home form is the one thing that has proved to be the biggest issue with regards to losing out on playoff places more than once in recent years.

It needs to change.

Semenyo red card did not help.

Neither did the other series of baffling refereeing decisions through the season- of which Semenyo was but one- mind you I guess all clubs could point to this?

Consider:

• Norwich home- Tettey avoided a second yellow on two, maybe three occasions. At least one of these was when we were 2-1 up not long after HT. Finished 2-2.
  • Derby away- Weimann disallowed, offside- was it level? It's unclear- would love to find some footage to know for sure. Finished 1-1.
  • Nottingham Forest away- Yes we won in the end but Weimann disallowed goal, wrongly.
  • Aston Villa away- Weimann disallowed AND their joke of a penalty. The first was at 0-0, the 2nd I think was at 0-0 too. You can argue that ONE going against you well that's football, but both?? You can make a case either way for the Weimann disallowed in real time IMO.
  • Semenyo red card- already mentioned of course- vs Derby. Score was 1-0 but we then redoubled efforts and had we scored in that period after, who knows the game may have turned! Also seen it mentioned that if Semenyo was a red for us, then Huddlestone for them should've been too.
  • People might point to the bit soft penalty vs QPR at home as evidence of something in our favour, but let's not forget Pisano had a goal disallowed in that one too- again questionable. Is that a case of evening out?

Irrespective of the officiating, weren't we quite fond of striking the woodwork through the season too! Few more near misses turned to points there and we probably get top 6.

3 hours ago, Leveller said:

It’s an interesting read, up to a point. There is nothing very controversial in there, unless you are one of those who believes in behind the scenes tensions, a manager who has lost the dressing room and cliquey infighting.

Webster is very complimentary about both LJ and DH and paints a picture of a very together group of players who are keeping in touch. Specifically he portrays LJ as a coach who provides very detailed help on an individual basis, and as a manager who pays close attention to how players are feeling after matches.

I never buy the “lost the dressing room” comment.  Arguments happen, cups get thrown etc, but you’d know about it if there was really unrest amongst all players.

2 hours ago, Shtanley said:

When you think how good Morrell was in those cup games it's surprising he only ever featured once in the league that season, coming on for the injured Walsh at Ipswich. 

Was held back from going out on loan as Smith was injured....then never made the 18 again after the transfer window closed.  For info, his league debut was Ipswich, the cup games followed.  Wolves was his last game....no dissing of Joe, we looked second best all over the pitch that first half against a superior Premier League side.

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I never buy the “lost the dressing room” comment.  Arguments happen, cups get thrown etc, but you’d know about it if there was really unrest amongst all players.

Was held back from going out on loan as Smith was injured....then never made the 18 again after the transfer window closed.  For info, his league debut was Ipswich, the cup games followed.  Wolves was his last game....no dissing of Joe, we looked second best all over the pitch that first half against a superior Premier League side.

I was at Ipswich and he didn't look out of place, wondered if he'd get some minutes in the league and was infuriated that he didn't considering his cup performances were fantastic! 

31 minutes ago, spudski said:

I really don't get this fixation of making the top 6...it's a lottery if you do. It means nothing...just a chance in a raffle.

Got to aim and build for top 2 imo.

Difference between aim and expectation? Aim - Top 2, expectation - top 6

5 hours ago, Red Alert said:

Theres was an interesting quote from Webby reflecting on his time at city - so why do we think we didn't make the playoffs in 18/19 season, given the quality in the squad?

The whole club, the fans, the boys that we had - I look back on that season with great memories. I met up with a few of the boys on holiday just recently [in Mykonos, Greece] and we still say now how we can't quite believe that we didn't at least make the playoffs that season.

Obviously it was in our hands for a long time. The togetherness in the squad that we had means it really baffles us how we didn't quite make it. A great bunch of lads.

Believe he also mentions that the staff & manager gave them all the tools/platform to go & perform. They just didn’t or something along those lines. He also thanks his former manager for trusting him & improving him through coaching or analysis. Still looks for our results. COYR 

• Admin

For anyone not seen the interview being discussed......

Adam Webster's last game for Bristol City lasted just four minutes as the talented central defender had to be withdrawn against Hull City in the Robins' final 2018/19 Championship game. Remember it?

Little did we know that would be the final appearance for the former Ipswich Town man in the red City shirt as he was the subject of multiple transfer bids across the coming summer until the point of no return was met.

And following 44 Championship appearances for the Robins, it's been 31 games in the blue and white stripes of Graham Potter's Brighton & Hove Albion side since, who eventually managed to seal their Premier League survival with a fine run of just three defeats in their final 10 matches. The south coast men finished seven points clear of trouble come the final placings.

It's been another solid season of progress for Webster, who has gained plenty of plaudits for his showings on the right of the Seagulls' back three, and who could gain international honours in the future if he continues his upward career projectory.

But enough of the future, here's to the past. Below is every word of our wistful catch-up with a player that went on to become Bristol City's club record sale last summer following Lloyd Kelly's big money move to AFC Bournemouth earlier in the summer also setting a new record amount received by the Robins.

It's been a crazy year for everyone but how has it been for you? How have you found the step up to the Premier League and being at Brighton?

It's been very strange times for everyone. I think for us at Brighton, the lockdown came at a good time probably. We had a couple of results before the actual lockdown period, a couple of draws, but we hadn't actually won in 2020. It gave us a chance to switch off from everything and regroup really.

So I think it came at a good time for us. It helped us with the restart. The boys were working really hard over the lockdown and we came back really fit. It did everybody good.

Personally, I've loved every minute of it. It's obviously a big step up. I started in the fourth game of the season - I didn't play in the first three - but I started really well and was playing really well. Then you make a couple of mistakes and it can be difficult because you get punished so often when you come up against every team that you play against.

There were definitely fine margins and there's so much quality so you have to be on top of your game every week, otherwise you get found out.

From watching from afar, it looks like you've taken to the Premier League pretty quickly. Did you find that yourself and did you have to do anything special at all to acclimatise to the increased pace and so on?

Every week you come up against something different, which has probably been the biggest thing. Our manager has been brilliant with that  - helping us prepare for each game and making sure that we're aware of what we're coming up against each week because every week it is different. You're facing different challenges all the time. I've adapted well to that.

It's not easy; it's all about your concentration. As soon as it comes to having the ball at my feet, I'm fine; it's just staying concentrated for every second of the game. All it takes for a striker in the Premier League is to have that half a chance, that little sniff and that can be a goal in the back of the net.

What have you made of Graham Potter, because he did very, very well the year before at Swansea and he seems to be doing a good job at Brighton as well?

He's been brilliant. He showed a lot of faith in me in bringing me to the club. From playing against his Swansea team, I knew what he was about and the way he wanted to play and his team to play. He's done an amazing job. He's changed the whole philosophy at the club and that's not an easy thing to do. Everyone bought into it - it didn't happen overnight but I think we had a lot of good performances last year.

We all agree that we probably shouldn't have been, before the restart, that close to the relegation really. There had been a lot of games where we had dominated possession, dominated chances but didn't manage to get the three points in several games that I can think of. So this year, we've got the foundations set and I think this year will be a positive one for us and everyone's really looking forward to it and seeing how far he can take us

You moved quite late in the summer transfer window last year. Did you think you were always going to move or did it come out of the blue for you?

It had been going on for a while over the summer. It was quite a frustrating period for me. Every player wants to play in the Premier League and you might not get that chance too often. So when I knew that I had the chance of going to Brighton, I wanted to take it.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Bristol City. It was an amazing year for me. But when that chance comes to go and play in the Premier League, everybody in my position would've wanted to take it. Finally, it got done but there were definitely times that I thought I would be staying.

I would have been gutted, obviously, because you don't know, with injuries and so many factors, if you'll have get the chance to do it again. I wanted to take it and luckily for me, Brighton went all the way with me and I'm glad they did.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Bristol City. It's probably the most enjoyable season I've ever had.

Why was it one of the most enjoyable seasons for you - the guys that you were playing with, or that you felt that you personally progressed in your game, or the coaches, or a mix of everything?

Definitely a bit of everything. Firstly, the boys: we were all really close and had that good banter and you don't get that everywhere you go.

I'd say the coaches gave us that platform to go out and express ourselves and we had the foundations of how we wanted to play. I'd say, literally a bit of everything.

Have you kept an eye out for Bristol City's results at all and do you keep in touch with many of the lads?

Yeah, of course. It's the first result I look for after a game. I still speak to a lot of the lads daily and there was a few of us in Mykonos recently and we met up a few times over there. That was nice, nice to see them again.

With WhatsApp we're in contact all the time and that'll continue probably for a long time as there was such a good bond with everyone.

A lot of fans will point to your partnership with Tomas Kalas whilst you were at Bristol City as being one of the best centre-back partnerships that we've seen at the club for some time. What do you make of your old central defensive partner, Kalas, and Nathan Baker - the two of them have played a lot together this season. Were they two of your most important partners?

Yeah, definitely. A lot of the times that me and Kalas played together, we complemented each other really well. Kalas is a great defender, so athletic and so quick. There'd be times where I'd step over the ball or try something and Kalas would always be there.

We definitely suited each other and we just had that connection. We never had to force anything and understood each other's games very well so that made it easy for us to play together and play well together.

With Bakes, it was pretty similar. We didn't play too much together but Kalas and my partnership was a brilliant one and it was great to play with him.

Who were the ringleaders of that WhatsApp group - is it Korey Smith and Jamie Paterson, those guys?

There's Pato and Marlon and Andi Weimann, those boys. There's some big characters and we have a really good bond together.

You may well have seen the changes at Bristol City as Lee Johnson lost his job and Dean Holden has taken over. What are your thoughts on Lee and your time under him and did you ever believe that Dean could make a head coach? Did you see anything in him which made you think that this guy could go on and do this himself?

With Lee, he showed a lot of faith in me to bring me to the club in the first place. He brought me in after I'd had two stop-start seasons at Ipswich.

He showed a lot of faith in me and he developed me as a player through lots of coaching, through lots of analysis, small details. He gave me that foundation to go out and play and express myself and know I could and I owe a lot to him for that.

And the same with Dean. I knew he would be a head coach one day. When Lee got sacked, I was always hoping that Dean would get the chance, because I know how much the boys love Dean and what a great man he is.

So I just wanted him to get that chance. It's a great opportunity for him. Hopefully he does well and gets Bristol City up into the Premier League - that would be amazing.

Is there an example of one little thing that Lee worked on with you?

There's a lot of things that spring to mind - defending the long ball, blocking as soon as the player cocks the leg, just simple things.

After training, he'd message you, WhatsApp you and just have a chat with you to see how you're feeling.

There were just little pointers like that which is always quite refreshing. I'd never experienced that before so it was nice and you weren't ever scared to go and talk to the gaffer. He was very approachable so it made it easier for all of us lads to develop as players.

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Difference between aim and expectation? Aim - Top 2, expectation - top 6

I actually think it gives Clubs too much leeway so to speak.

I'd rather have top 3 promoted.

You can have a very average season, be mid table, couple wins and then make 6th.

Everyone is happy...yet the teams within 2 wins away from 6th are having a melt down to how badly they've done.

I think it enhances a seasons performance so to speak.

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

For anyone not seen the interview being discussed......

Adam Webster's last game for Bristol City lasted just four minutes as the talented central defender had to be withdrawn against Hull City in the Robins' final 2018/19 Championship game. Remember it?

Little did we know that would be the final appearance for the former Ipswich Town man in the red City shirt as he was the subject of multiple transfer bids across the coming summer until the point of no return was met.

And following 44 Championship appearances for the Robins, it's been 31 games in the blue and white stripes of Graham Potter's Brighton & Hove Albion side since, who eventually managed to seal their Premier League survival with a fine run of just three defeats in their final 10 matches. The south coast men finished seven points clear of trouble come the final placings.

It's been another solid season of progress for Webster, who has gained plenty of plaudits for his showings on the right of the Seagulls' back three, and who could gain international honours in the future if he continues his upward career projectory.

But enough of the future, here's to the past. Below is every word of our wistful catch-up with a player that went on to become Bristol City's club record sale last summer following Lloyd Kelly's big money move to AFC Bournemouth earlier in the summer also setting a new record amount received by the Robins.

It's been a crazy year for everyone but how has it been for you? How have you found the step up to the Premier League and being at Brighton?

It's been very strange times for everyone. I think for us at Brighton, the lockdown came at a good time probably. We had a couple of results before the actual lockdown period, a couple of draws, but we hadn't actually won in 2020. It gave us a chance to switch off from everything and regroup really.

So I think it came at a good time for us. It helped us with the restart. The boys were working really hard over the lockdown and we came back really fit. It did everybody good.

Personally, I've loved every minute of it. It's obviously a big step up. I started in the fourth game of the season - I didn't play in the first three - but I started really well and was playing really well. Then you make a couple of mistakes and it can be difficult because you get punished so often when you come up against every team that you play against.

There were definitely fine margins and there's so much quality so you have to be on top of your game every week, otherwise you get found out.

From watching from afar, it looks like you've taken to the Premier League pretty quickly. Did you find that yourself and did you have to do anything special at all to acclimatise to the increased pace and so on?

Every week you come up against something different, which has probably been the biggest thing. Our manager has been brilliant with that  - helping us prepare for each game and making sure that we're aware of what we're coming up against each week because every week it is different. You're facing different challenges all the time. I've adapted well to that.

It's not easy; it's all about your concentration. As soon as it comes to having the ball at my feet, I'm fine; it's just staying concentrated for every second of the game. All it takes for a striker in the Premier League is to have that half a chance, that little sniff and that can be a goal in the back of the net.

What have you made of Graham Potter, because he did very, very well the year before at Swansea and he seems to be doing a good job at Brighton as well?

He's been brilliant. He showed a lot of faith in me in bringing me to the club. From playing against his Swansea team, I knew what he was about and the way he wanted to play and his team to play. He's done an amazing job. He's changed the whole philosophy at the club and that's not an easy thing to do. Everyone bought into it - it didn't happen overnight but I think we had a lot of good performances last year.

We all agree that we probably shouldn't have been, before the restart, that close to the relegation really. There had been a lot of games where we had dominated possession, dominated chances but didn't manage to get the three points in several games that I can think of. So this year, we've got the foundations set and I think this year will be a positive one for us and everyone's really looking forward to it and seeing how far he can take us

You moved quite late in the summer transfer window last year. Did you think you were always going to move or did it come out of the blue for you?

It had been going on for a while over the summer. It was quite a frustrating period for me. Every player wants to play in the Premier League and you might not get that chance too often. So when I knew that I had the chance of going to Brighton, I wanted to take it.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Bristol City. It was an amazing year for me. But when that chance comes to go and play in the Premier League, everybody in my position would've wanted to take it. Finally, it got done but there were definitely times that I thought I would be staying.

I would have been gutted, obviously, because you don't know, with injuries and so many factors, if you'll have get the chance to do it again. I wanted to take it and luckily for me, Brighton went all the way with me and I'm glad they did.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Bristol City. It's probably the most enjoyable season I've ever had.

Why was it one of the most enjoyable seasons for you - the guys that you were playing with, or that you felt that you personally progressed in your game, or the coaches, or a mix of everything?

Definitely a bit of everything. Firstly, the boys: we were all really close and had that good banter and you don't get that everywhere you go.

I'd say the coaches gave us that platform to go out and express ourselves and we had the foundations of how we wanted to play. I'd say, literally a bit of everything.

Have you kept an eye out for Bristol City's results at all and do you keep in touch with many of the lads?

Yeah, of course. It's the first result I look for after a game. I still speak to a lot of the lads daily and there was a few of us in Mykonos recently and we met up a few times over there. That was nice, nice to see them again.

With WhatsApp we're in contact all the time and that'll continue probably for a long time as there was such a good bond with everyone.

A lot of fans will point to your partnership with Tomas Kalas whilst you were at Bristol City as being one of the best centre-back partnerships that we've seen at the club for some time. What do you make of your old central defensive partner, Kalas, and Nathan Baker - the two of them have played a lot together this season. Were they two of your most important partners?

Yeah, definitely. A lot of the times that me and Kalas played together, we complemented each other really well. Kalas is a great defender, so athletic and so quick. There'd be times where I'd step over the ball or try something and Kalas would always be there.

We definitely suited each other and we just had that connection. We never had to force anything and understood each other's games very well so that made it easy for us to play together and play well together.

With Bakes, it was pretty similar. We didn't play too much together but Kalas and my partnership was a brilliant one and it was great to play with him.

Who were the ringleaders of that WhatsApp group - is it Korey Smith and Jamie Paterson, those guys?

There's Pato and Marlon and Andi Weimann, those boys. There's some big characters and we have a really good bond together.

You may well have seen the changes at Bristol City as Lee Johnson lost his job and Dean Holden has taken over. What are your thoughts on Lee and your time under him and did you ever believe that Dean could make a head coach? Did you see anything in him which made you think that this guy could go on and do this himself?

With Lee, he showed a lot of faith in me to bring me to the club in the first place. He brought me in after I'd had two stop-start seasons at Ipswich.

He showed a lot of faith in me and he developed me as a player through lots of coaching, through lots of analysis, small details. He gave me that foundation to go out and play and express myself and know I could and I owe a lot to him for that.

And the same with Dean. I knew he would be a head coach one day. When Lee got sacked, I was always hoping that Dean would get the chance, because I know how much the boys love Dean and what a great man he is.

So I just wanted him to get that chance. It's a great opportunity for him. Hopefully he does well and gets Bristol City up into the Premier League - that would be amazing.

Is there an example of one little thing that Lee worked on with you?

There's a lot of things that spring to mind - defending the long ball, blocking as soon as the player cocks the leg, just simple things.

After training, he'd message you, WhatsApp you and just have a chat with you to see how you're feeling.

There were just little pointers like that which is always quite refreshing. I'd never experienced that before so it was nice and you weren't ever scared to go and talk to the gaffer. He was very approachable so it made it easier for all of us lads to develop as players.

Don’t believe it. COYR 

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

I actually think it gives Clubs too much leeway so to speak.

I'd rather have top 3 promoted.

You can have a very average season, be mid table, couple wins and then make 6th.

Everyone is happy...yet the teams within 2 wins away from 6th are having a melt down to how badly they've done.

I think it enhances a seasons performance so to speak.

Keeps it interesting though. Using City as an example, if it was just the top 3 going up then our season would have been over by about February/March for the last couple of years.

Just now, Northern Red said:

Keeps it interesting though. Using City as an example, if it was just the top 3 going up then our season would have been over by about February/March for the last couple of years.

Catch 22...felt for Brentford. They deserved 3rd place over a season imo.

Thought it good read & was really particularly interesting the players believed all the ingredients were there but we somehow fell short.

It goes to show we can create the group & environment but more is required.

Not exactly sure what that is but we do seem to fall short so is there something we may need to compensate going into the next season?

Archived