IGNORED

Sammie Szmodics - Signs for Peterborough

Red Army 75

Don’t think Sunderland have any money at all, so I cannot see how he will end up there.

Feel sorry for him, yet another baffling Ashton signing when we already had Paterson & then added Palmer.

As others have said if Peterborough sell Toney then it would make far more sense for him to end up there.

1 minute ago, Simon bristol said:

As someone else said, why we went for this signing knowing who else is in the squad ive no idea. If we can get our money back for him from peterborough, then do it!

We signed Szmodics well before we got Palmer.  That was the poor planning.

Seems a waste if he goes. Could be a good player in there. I’d like to see him play as a pressing forward like in the Bobby Reid/Paterson roles from a couple seasons ago. That said he isn’t super young so if we can make a few quid and lose the wages wouldn’t be end of the world. Just wish we’d use players we sign

19 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Seems a waste if he goes. Could be a good player in there. I’d like to see him play as a pressing forward like in the Bobby Reid/Paterson roles from a couple seasons ago. That said he isn’t super young so if we can make a few quid and lose the wages wouldn’t be end of the world. Just wish we’d use players we sign

He’s the age Reid was when he made his impact in 17/18!

I'd love to hear the method behind this stockpiling of talent v what they tell players when they're encouraging them to join. We have had a few players that have been successful at lg1 level that don't get a look in here. I still think Sammie could add a fair few goals if used correctly. No forward was going to look great last season with the amount of chances we were creating. 

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yea he is still young but sometimes need to shake your head a bit when thinking of him. Most lower league players you think 20-21 but SS is 25 now I think. So it is time for him to kick on either way. 

36 minutes ago, Middlesbrough Robin said:

I'd love to hear the method behind this stockpiling of talent v what they tell players when they're encouraging them to join. We have had a few players that have been successful at lg1 level that don't get a look in here. I still think Sammie could add a fair few goals if used correctly. No forward was going to look great last season with the amount of chances we were creating. 

It's baffling.  I'd like to see him tried up top with Wells.  Given how he finished the season with Peterborough, he'd be the sorted of player we would be looking to sign this summer.

Admittedly, he struggled to make an impact when used last season, but he's another that would have felt under extreme pressure to perform on his rare outing.  Very hard to slot in and make an impact when not match sharp and probably feeling that you weren't really believed in or trusted. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I'm wondering if this deal would involve Jordan Willis coming to us.

We need a centre back. He seems quite quick which probably suits us if we are playing on the front foot.

Someone we passed up last year allowing him to join Sunderland for free instead, in a swap for someone we paid over £700k for at that time.

Yep, that sounds like the sort of thing Ashton would do..

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I'm wondering if this deal would involve Jordan Willis coming to us.

We need a centre back. He seems quite quick which probably suits us if we are playing on the front foot.

Thats a good shout, Willis was excellent at Coventry by all accounts, in a 3.

We need to shed a few players and with KP and JP ahead of him, it may be best for all if Sammie went. Yet another LJ signing we barely saw. 

3 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Number 10 is probably our richest position. Palmer, Pato, Szmodics. Even Weimann.

That's why I'd sell him. IMO the priority for midfield is finding a new K.Smith ( even on loan if we could find good profiles), for tactical reasons but also to take off some pression from Morrell and Massengo.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

We signed Szmodics well before we got Palmer.  That was the poor planning.

Szmodics was tearing L2 up and was (apparently) being looked at by several bigger clubs and City signed him as a young midfielder with the aim of developing into a Championship standard player - all the while appreciating the huge step up in quality from the lower league to th Championship.

Iirc he made a few sub appearances but I don’t think he ever got a start. He obviously didn’t impress LJ enough to earn more game time.

However.....now the a Deano is Head Coach and with two new assistants Szmodics has a great chance to impress and maybe earn a starting spot.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Szmodics was tearing L2 up and was (apparently) being looked at by several bigger clubs and City signed him as a young midfielder with the aim of developing into a Championship standard player - all the while appreciating the huge step up in quality from the lower league to th Championship.

Iirc he made a few sub appearances but I don’t think he ever got a start. He obviously didn’t impress LJ enough to earn more game time.

However.....now the a Deano is Head Coach and with two new assistants Szmodics has a great chance to impress and maybe earn a starting spot.

Made one start against Swansea I think, looked pretty useless and hooked off just after HT

Can see SS being sold; not sure he’s Championship standard - Sunderland would be a good move for him if we can at least get our money back.

We’ve got a bloated squad which needs to be reduced if we are to make signings and any we do bring in, need to be better than what we currently have

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Lets hope Dean gives him his chance at last, for some unknown reason I have a good feeling about SS, very difficult to know why when I'm so far away but from everything I've seen & read about him he seems very likely to succeed, probably with an opposition side if we sell :facepalm:.

34 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Yeah, I know the history, ta ?

Everyone should be a clean slate.  He definitely has something, whether it works out for him I don’t know.  For me he can be versatile, either alongside Wells or deeper.  But we need to wait until we see the shape of the squad over the coming days and weeks.

Archived