IGNORED

Sammie Szmodics - Signs for Peterborough

Red Army 75

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, I know the history, ta ?

Everyone should be a clean slate.  He definitely has something, whether it works out for him I don’t know.  For me he can be versatile, either alongside Wells or deeper.  But we need to wait until we see the shape of the squad over the coming days and weeks.

We desperately need some goals from midfield.  Sammy knows where the goal is.  

I wonder if he could play as part of a loose front 3.

Think 3-4-3/3-4-2-1 hybrid type shape, like Wolves a couple of season back- Weimann wider right, Szmodics wider left and Wells up front.

Would be a 3-4-3 in attacking phase and more of a slightly withdrawn 3-4-2-1 during defensive/midfield type phases. Think he can pull wider more easily than say Palmer, but perhaps (at this stage) less so than Paterson.

While I'll be disappointed that we never saw if he could make it here, I think selling would be positive in that we need some closure on a few of these weird squad quandaries. We need some decisive action this summer so that formation and first 11 are clear from the outset, with anyone not part of that moving on.

59 minutes ago, bpexile said:

Lets hope Dean gives him his chance at last, for some unknown reason I have a good feeling about SS, very difficult to know why when I'm so far away but from everything I've seen & read about him he seems very likely to succeed, probably with an opposition side if we sell :facepalm:.

I totally agree mate. There is a good player in there and we just need to bring it out. 

I am hoping that the first thing the two new coaches do is looking at every squad player with impartial eyes and make a judgement if there is a decent player there that can fit into our 'new' system. 

I think some unexpected players could come through next season.

19 minutes ago, mozo said:

While I'll be disappointed that we never saw if he could make it here, I think selling would be positive in that we need some closure on a few of these weird squad quandaries. We need some decisive action this summer so that formation and first 11 are clear from the outset, with anyone not part of that moving on.

Think the more likely time of decisive action will be deciding over the course of the season, with many players out of contract in 2021- now in a fairly flat market, might be quite tricky!

14 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Don’t think Sunderland have any money at all, so I cannot see how he will end up there.

Feel sorry for him, yet another baffling Ashton signing when we already had Paterson & then added Palmer.

As others have said if Peterborough sell Toney then it would make far more sense for him to end up there.

It wasn't baffling when Pato went on loan to Derby, you have to assume that Paterson had needed a kick up the arse and that move gave it to him.

1 start and 2 sub appearances for City............I really don't see how anybody can form a fair opinion on him based on that.

All we know is he's looked very good at the level below, wherever he has played. I'd love to see him stay personally, I *think* he's got something about him.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

It wasn't baffling when Pato went on loan to Derby, you have to assume that Paterson had needed a kick up the arse and that move gave it to him.

That looked more to me like a panic move by Ashton because his scattergun transfer approach had left us on deadline day with 3 types of exactly the same player.

Not sure it gave Pato “a kick up the arse” at all, he has always been inconsistent (& probably always will be) but for me he is comfortably the best of these 3 as his post Derby form showed.

Why on earth we spent £3.5m on Palmer when we already had him & Szmodics is a question only Ashton can answer.

22 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

That looked more to me like a panic move by Ashton because his scattergun transfer approach had left us on deadline day with 3 types of exactly the same player.

Not sure it gave Pato “a kick up the arse” at all, he has always been inconsistent (& probably always will be) but for me he is comfortably the best of these 3 as his post Derby form showed.

Why on earth we spent £3.5m on Palmer when we already had him & Szmodics is a question only Ashton can answer.

Granted they play in the same position, but I think they are different types of creative player. Szmodics and Pato tend to create more from running at players with the ball, also getting wide and getting crosses in, Palmer is more a passer of the ball. When the season started, you could see that Palmer and Afobe would be a good team, whereas the other two would work better with Fam. They were useful options, shame about the injuries.

Paterson himself said that being at Derby made him consider his path and where he wanted to be so, from that perspective I think it worked. The "mini season" is probably the best run of games he has had.

16 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Don’t think Sunderland have any money at all, so I cannot see how he will end up there.

Feel sorry for him, yet another baffling Ashton signing when we already had Paterson & then added Palmer.

As others have said if Peterborough sell Toney then it would make far more sense for him to end up there.

Do you think sometimes we sign players purely to develop and sell, never any intention to make the first team? Or more likely he hasn't improved as much as we'd hoped but thats a little harsh considering the lack of chances and how well he seems to have done at the level below

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

Do you think sometimes we sign players purely to develop and sell, never any intention to make the first team? Or more likely he hasn't improved as much as we'd hoped but thats a little harsh considering the lack of chances and how well he seems to have done at the level below

Hard to say.

I think our “bulk buying” model, so bringing in Adelakun & Watkins at the same time, then Szmodics & Palmer doesn’t make a great deal of sense & certainly isn’t ideal in a Covid world.

The pandemic does give us the chance to recalibrate our squad, so no more 5 goalkeepers, 3 number 10s, etc. but Szmodics isn’t the first one like this, exactly the same thing happened with Mo Eisa.

Would be a shame to see him go without really seeing what he can do, but if he isn't quite up to standard and teams are willing to offer good money for him then it's probably for the best. Could be like the Eisa situation last season.

If Holden is serious about 352/532 and has a clear idea about how he wants us to play - he needs to recruit players who are suitable to that system. Perhaps Szmodics just doesn't quite fit what Holden is after. 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

There is an unspoken side to our recruitment, the ‘ punts ‘ . The players who are available on deals too good to turn down and bought in with the idea to develop and sell on at a profit for the club. 

These players are perhaps not destined for the first team however we as supporters expect to see them blossom at the club and are surprised when they are moved on without having had a chance .

I think Szmodics falls into the ‘ punt ‘ category as did/ do Engval, Eisa and Adelakun amongst others.

If we do go with a quite fluid 3-5-2, Fam leaves and for whatever reason we don't replace him I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if we gave Sammie a decent run up top alongside Nakhi. Give him a bit of a free role to drop deep at times, run off the last man at others and with more creative players like Walsh, Paterson, Palmer or even Williams now in behind them that could work very nicely.

21 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

There is an unspoken side to our recruitment, the ‘ punts ‘ . The players who are available on deals too good to turn down and bought in with the idea to develop and sell on at a profit for the club. 

These players are perhaps not destined for the first team however we as supporters expect to see them blossom at the club and are surprised when they are moved on without having had a chance .

I think Szmodics falls into the ‘ punt ‘ category as did/ do Engval, Eisa and Adelakun amongst others.

This.

He was a low risk Moneyball signing. Youngish, raw talent - send him out on loan a few times - if he is good enough play him if not sell him on at a profit.

10 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

This.

He was a low risk Moneyball signing. Youngish, raw talent - send him out on loan a few times - if he is good enough play him if not sell him on at a profit.

You reckon in a Covid influenced transfer market a League One club will pay more than £700k for him, then?

That is what would constitute a profit here.

What about Adelakun, who is paying us more than our £600k?

Engvall cost us £2m, we got back £250k, I suspect there might just be a flaw here..

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You reckon in a Covid influenced transfer market a League One club will pay more than £700k for him, then?

That is what would constitute a profit here.

What about Adelakun, who is paying us more than our £600k?

Engvall cost us £2m, we got back £250k, I suspect there might just be a flaw here..

SS was bought before CV19 - nobody could have predicted a global pandemic. If CV 19 hadnt come along, after SS's good season last year i reckon we could have sold him at a profit

Your other two are examples are valid yes - but when you shop in Aldi for players you are not always going to get it right. You win some you lose some. 

Just now, TonyTonyTony said:

SS was bought before CV19 - nobody could have predicted a global pandemic. If CV 19 hadnt come along, after SS's good season last year i reckon we would have sold him at a profit

Your other two are examples are valid yes - but when you shop in Aldi for players you are not always going to get it right. You win some you lose some. 

£2m is hardly Aldi!

We have many other examples too, such as Djuric.,

Genuinely feel sorry for Szmodics, not given a chance.

The more I think about it, the less I feel sure we will play 352 or 3 cbs. We played that way because 3 of our best players were CBs and our midfield was weak so 3 gave it a bit more behind it. Now we have signed J Williams and a few defenders have left I think we may go back to a 4. 

If so, our defence is sorted. Could use an upgrade at RB but the numbers are fine. 

Moving up I’d like to see us in a more 433/4231 shape. Think 433 suits better. Midfield 3 from Williams, Walsh, Morrell, Massengo and Nagy. 

Then front 3 you could perhaps see Szmodics on the left or right of the striker. Think it also suits Paterson and Weimann as they can drift from wide to central. Striker we’d have Wells or Fam. Fam probably better suited to 433 and Wells to 4231. 

Obviously we have to see who else leaves and comes in. Though it does seem to be headed more towards a traditional defence. DH had said he used 3 because that suited what we had. I am not sure that is the case anymore. Also not sure there is a track record of success using 3 at the back at this level. Think only Wolves who had tremendous players for the league. 

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Wasn’t there something a little deeper regarding his loan away. Whispers of something put in a group chat which probably shouldn’t have been. 

8 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I quite like the idea of a mobile back 3. Willis - Kalas - Moore 

Maybe something like that. Vyner being back up for Willis and Baker being back up for Moore.

I want Willis, purely for the Different Strokes Gary Coleman gif potential. ?

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I agree to an extent.  Covid has seriously ****ed that “model” up.

30 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

A team who'd be about to receive several million for a striker could do, especially after an initial successful spell on loan. Especially if they think they could sell him for millions in 12/24 months time.

58 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

A team who'd be about to receive several million for a striker could do, especially after an initial successful spell on loan. Especially if they think they could sell him for millions in 12/24 months time.

Peterborough selling toney would hopefully free up the funds for sammie, and im sure if they want watkins adelakun and odowda, we could do a deal for them too.

On 20/08/2020 at 12:44, WirralRobin said:

If we do go with a quite fluid 3-5-2, Fam leaves and for whatever reason we don't replace him I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if we gave Sammie a decent run up top alongside Nakhi. Give him a bit of a free role to drop deep at times, run off the last man at others and with more creative players like Walsh, Paterson, Palmer or even Williams now in behind them that could work very nicely.

If we are 100% reliant on the fluid football game, where we are trying to thread balls through a keyhole, teams will sit back and let us have the ball. For the last 4/5 seasons, or even longer we have rarely been able to break defensive sides down. The game gets really compact and we end up passing the ball in front of the opposition. I would be gutted and concerned if Fam left, and we didn’t replace him. A strike force of Weimann, Wells, Szmodics/pato etc. Lacks the ability to ‘mix’ it. 

Holden is talking about improving quality whilst reducing squad size and, whilst not putting a number on it, has a few targets.

I just don't see Szmodics winning a place in midfield or up-front in a 3-5-2 formation, especially one without a number 10 role. I reckon he could do alright in the Championship if he had the right team and a chance to play a few games but I don't reckon we are the right team or that he will get the chances. I reckon it's in his interests as well as ours to move on. 

3 hours ago, Red white and red said:

If we are 100% reliant on the fluid football game, where we are trying to thread balls through a keyhole, teams will sit back and let us have the ball. For the last 4/5 seasons, or even longer we have rarely been able to break defensive sides down. The game gets really compact and we end up passing the ball in front of the opposition. I would be gutted and concerned if Fam left, and we didn’t replace him. A strike force of Weimann, Wells, Szmodics/pato etc. Lacks the ability to ‘mix’ it. 

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Holden is talking about improving quality whilst reducing squad size and, whilst not putting a number on it, has a few targets.

I just don't see Szmodics winning a place in midfield or up-front in a 3-5-2 formation, especially one without a number 10 role. I reckon he could do alright in the Championship if he had the right team and a chance to play a few games but I don't reckon we are the right team or that he will get the chances. I reckon it's in his interests as well as ours to move on. 

With Fam now looking likely to sign a new deal, I could now see us going in with Diedhiou, Wells, Weimann and Szmodics.

Archived