IGNORED

Sammie Szmodics - Signs for Peterborough

Red Army 75

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

With Fam now looking likely to sign a new deal, I could now see us going in with Diedhiou, Wells, Weimann and Szmodics.

Maybe. A few days ago I'd certainly have seeing plausible that one or two of Szmodics, Semenyo or Palmer (less likely Palmer) could have ended up as part of our four options for the striking roles. What has made me wonder if that might not be the case is:"

a) the fact that Fam is staying means less roles to fill

and 

b) the fact that, despite the assumption that I shared that we'd not be spending, we've already moved quickly on Williams and Holden has talked about having "a few targets". Obviously that will most likely include centre-back and right wing-back but I wonder if, beyond that, a striker is most likely to come in and that might push Szmodics out.

We'll have to wait and see though...

Sammie is back in Essex currently. I believe he travelled yesterday afternoon (Instagram post). Assuming he played no part in the 2nd friendly at the training ground if this is the case. 

Possible move lined up? My guess would be that Peterborough have held up announcing Toney has been sold, so that they can get the Szmodics deal done as their fans really took to him.

Purely guess work.

6 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Sammie is back in Essex currently. I believe he travelled yesterday afternoon (Instagram post). Assuming he played no part in the 2nd friendly at the training ground if this is the case. 

Possible move lined up? My guess would be that Peterborough have held up announcing Toney has been sold, so that they can get the Szmodics deal done as their fans really took to him.

Purely guess work.

I’ll be disappointed if he goes, not least that my #feelingsupersonicgivemesammieszmodics never came to fruition here.

What fee do we reckon if he does go?

£750k to £1.5m depending on club....if Peterborough then too whack ???

Just now, Davefevs said:

I’ll be disappointed if he goes, not least that my #feelingsupersonicgivemesammieszmodics never came to fruition here.

What fee do we reckon if he does go?

£750k to £1.5m depending on club....if Peterborough then too whack ???

I think it would only be a loan again. Their chairman hasn't hidden the fact that he wanted Szmodics and Reece Brown back this season. Brown has re-signed on a season long loan, I would question why they haven't managed to sign him permanently. Sammie recently bought a house in Bristol so may be determined to make it work here long term. 

However, I actually believe we would earn more in the long term by selling him to Peterborough for say £1.5m (they bought Eisa for £1m+) and inserting a high sell on percentage, due to their ability to get high fees for their players. If he has a great season for them, he could be a £3m+ player. He wouldn't ever be that for us unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Purely guess work.

Where is this post ? From his instagrams I cannot see anything 

13 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Holden is talking about improving quality whilst reducing squad size and, whilst not putting a number on it, has a few targets.

I just don't see Szmodics winning a place in midfield or up-front in a 3-5-2 formation, especially one without a number 10 role. I reckon he could do alright in the Championship if he had the right team and a chance to play a few games but I don't reckon we are the right team or that he will get the chances. I reckon it's in his interests as well as ours to move on. 

So yet another failed signing by Lee J then. It's a litany now. Or am I being harsh and that's simply football in the early century modern era? 

I only ever saw Sammie play in a pre season friendly up at the New Lawn... He smashed it just over the bar, ran all over the park at a hundred miles an hour. Walked away with my bro saying 'he's gonna be a good talent for us' . Within a month of the season start he'd gone and yet another BBL. (Bizarre by Lee).

9 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Purely guess work.

Yes, exactly that - guess work.

DH has given the team the weekend off, as per his post Cheltenham friendly interview.

So, Szmodics went home to Essex to see his family as that’s where he is from.

10 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Purely guess work.

DH said in Interview on Friday that he will give players a long weekend off to enjoy time with family, so the lad has just gone home to see family and friends. 

53 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Yes, exactly that - guess work.

DH has given the team the weekend off, as per his post Cheltenham friendly interview.

So, Szmodics went home to Essex to see his family as that’s where he is from.

26 minutes ago, redpole said:

DH said in Interview on Friday that he will give players a long weekend off to enjoy time with family, so the lad has just gone home to see family and friends. 

I stated that it was purely a guess. However you'll see that I mentioned the time of his post seemed to be early afternoon. The 2nd friendly was due to start after the Cheltenham match had finished. Would this mean that Sammie played no part?

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

IMO he will be a casualty of Liam Walsh and Joe Morrell having `breakthrough` seasons last time. If either had failed miserably on loan then Sammie would have a future at City I think.

Interesting though that neither of them played against Cheltenham. Doesn't provide any evidence they are going to be key to DH's team at this moment. Obviously early days though. 

40 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Interesting though that neither of them played against Cheltenham. Doesn't provide any evidence they are going to be key to DH's team at this moment. Obviously early days though. 

Nor did Williams, Nagy, O’Dowda, Paterson, Palmer, Szmodics or Rowe of the players that could play CM. ?

FWIW, we have not seen Walsh in any training videos, apart from arriving at Failand!

22 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

What do you think will happen to Semenyo?

Depends on Szmodics I reckon.  Think he needs a loan and to play.

10 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I thought the opposite; that for Bakinson and Massengo the game was a case of "impress me while you still can."

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

I thought the opposite; that for Bakinson and Massengo the game was a case of "impress me while you still can."

You could be right. Seems odd, as we have very few pre-season games planned, not to give your first choice team time to play together. Walsh has been away at Coventry and if he's one you are planning to build the team around surely you want him to get used to playing with his 'new' team-mates? 

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

You could be right. Seems odd, as we have very few pre-season games planned, not to give your first choice team time to play together. Walsh has been away at Coventry and if he's one you are planning to build the team around surely you want him to get used to playing with his 'new' team-mates? 

So with Massengo and Bakinson have good games what does that mean??? 

56 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Yeah and I do agree with you - that was valuable gametime opportunity for the lads in contention for the first 11. Don't waste it. 

On 23/08/2020 at 04:20, havanatopia said:

So yet another failed signing by Lee J then. It's a litany now. Or am I being harsh and that's simply football in the early century modern era? 

I only ever saw Sammie play in a pre season friendly up at the New Lawn... He smashed it just over the bar, ran all over the park at a hundred miles an hour. Walked away with my bro saying 'he's gonna be a good talent for us' . Within a month of the season start he'd gone and yet another BBL. (Bizarre by Lee).

Yes, you’re being harsh.  Szmodics was a gamble but one worth taking.  I saw home several times for the reserves, and he looked decent but not quite ready to break into the first team.  Clearly the step-up from a League Two was challenging for him, so a loan to league one was right, once this was realised.  However, I had friends who‘d watched him in league two and who told me he was a very good player and worth a punt.

I don’t quite get this notion of ‘failed signings’ by Johnson.  If you gamble on lower division players, then there’s always a chance they won’t make the step-up, but I’m struggling to think of anyone he signed who wasn’t worth the risk.  Eisa, Szmodics, Adelukan, all were rated highly at their previous clubs and were worth a go, but presumably the strategy acknowledged that we would either unearth a lower division gem, or sell them on and get our money back?  We did that with Eisa and I suspect that we will do with Szmodics and Adelukan too.  The only real failures for me have been the loanees...

11 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I would have thought the midfield we played against Cheltenham will effectively be our 7th, 8th & 9th choice for those centre mid roles effectively.

It would make sense if Holden wanted to use the second 'intrasquad' game on Saturday to pit the more likely starters in that midfield three against each other in a semi-competitive environment to gain more insight.

You potentially had Williams, Walsh & Paterson vs Morrell, Nagy & Palmer (or any combination of these) facing off against each other and I think he'd have learnt more from that than playing any combination of those three against Cheltenham's league 2 midfield. I'm guessing that was his thinking anyway?

40 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Yes, you’re being harsh.  Szmodics was a gamble but one worth taking.  I saw home several times for the reserves, and he looked decent but not quite ready to break into the first team.  Clearly the step-up from a League Two was challenging for him, so a loan to league one was right, once this was realised.  However, I had friends who‘d watched him in league two and who told me he was a very good player and worth a punt.

I don’t quite get this notion of ‘failed signings’ by Johnson.  If you gamble on lower division players, then there’s always a chance they won’t make the step-up, but I’m struggling to think of anyone he signed who wasn’t worth the risk.  Eisa, Szmodics, Adelukan, all were rated highly at their previous clubs and were worth a go, but presumably the strategy acknowledged that we would either unearth a lower division gem, or sell them on and get our money back?  We did that with Eisa and I suspect that we will do with Szmodics and Adelukan too.  The only real failures for me have been the loanees...

Exactly this. It’s the club that set out the policy. Trying to get ahead of the curve if you like. They either sign them before they make the breakthrough ( potential ), in the hope that they make the grade. Or they wait a season or two & potentially have to add a million or two onto their transfer fee. Do people really think that any manager would choose a been there & done it type player over a complete novice of this standard? Getting managers to buy into that structure I would guess is quite difficult, as it’s their neck on the block. COYR 

2 hours ago, Simon79 said:

Exactly this. It’s the club that set out the policy. Trying to get ahead of the curve if you like. They either sign them before they make the breakthrough ( potential ), in the hope that they make the grade. Or they wait a season or two & potentially have to add a million or two onto their transfer fee. Do people really think that any manager would choose a been there & done it type player over a complete novice of this standard? Getting managers to buy into that structure I would guess is quite difficult, as it’s their neck on the block. COYR 

Which presumably is why MA as CEO is in charge of recruitment - it’s a trading business as well as team building.

From Gregorface:

What I can add too is that we heard that Sammie netted two goals in a 2-1 win in the ‘other’ game played behind closed doors on Friday that Dean Holden went to after the Cheltenham friendly.

On 23/08/2020 at 04:20, havanatopia said:

I think hes a talent , real flair , and has the right attitude

Think we should definitely hang onto him

1 hour ago, mozo said:

From Gregorface:

What I can add too is that we heard that Sammie netted two goals in a 2-1 win in the ‘other’ game played behind closed doors on Friday that Dean Holden went to after the Cheltenham friendly.

I wonder whether DH is thinking of switching him from midfield to play up front, as LJ did with Bobby.... I think it’s too early to be writing him off as “yet another of LJ’s failed signings”.

Archived