IGNORED

Sammie Szmodics - Signs for Peterborough

Red Army 75

Was he not one of their best players last season? Do you think Peterborough would sell him to us for 750k? They have just bought what’s his name for £1.25m, who was in his last year of contract from you know who. So I really do see us turning a decent profit on him, with a decent sell on clause. COYR 

7 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Makes sense. Was a strange signing at the time considering we had Paterson and then bought in Palmer to 

I would love to see Mr Ashton pressed on some of these signings from someone like Twentyman.

Every club will sign players that don’t work out. Unfortunately that’s the nature of the business but with our recruitment there have been quite a few that don’t seem to make any sense.

57 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Szmodics will go. Loads of interest in him, not just Posh. 

Any interest from clubs at our level?

If he's that sought after it makes you think he may well be worth keeping.

If not, we should certainly be demanding a substantial fee.

46 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I haven’t noticed has SS appeared in any of our friendlies ? 

If he has then he hasn’t made enough of an impact to warrant a thread on OTIB and if he hasn’t, if fit, then it’s surely a sign that he’s looking to move on .

He played 60 versus Villa in the second match.

We've had scant media coverage of the friendless other than Cheltenham where there was another game planned at Failand....so I don’t think you can use “lack of an OTIB thread” as rationale.  This one is on the transfer sub-forum though!!  Think Gregor said he scored (twice???) in the intra-club match.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Probably make a tidy profit. Probably wanted it to work out but we realised he isn't up to it.

I don't know whether he should have been given more of a chance. I'm sure if he is off then Holden has him behind the numerous midfielders we have here. 

We really don't need as many as we have.

Think it is very harsh to claim we realised “he isn’t up to it” based on 1 start & 2 sub appearances.

More likely Ashton’s bizarre idea to bring in him & Palmer at the same time with no indication that Paterson was leaving permanently, is the main reason.

Feel sorry for the lad, he can genuinely say he was not given a chance.

Would be disappointed if we accept anything less than 2mill. He’s already proved a handful in league one scoring goals and assisting. He is in high demand which should only drive up his value also and we know at least one buying club Is coming into some good money.

couple that with Ashton who is good at maximising transfer fees for players, 1mill people are stating sound stupidly low

12 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Would be disappointed if we accept anything less than 2mill. He’s already proved a handful in league one scoring goals and assisting. He is in high demand which should only drive up his value also and we know at least one buying club Is coming into some good money.

couple that with Ashton who is good at maximising transfer fees for players, 1mill people are stating sound stupidly low

Cant agree that its stupidly low, for a start no one knows when fans will be back in stadiums, so money is tighter than ever. And the clubs who want him might be cash rich league 1 clubs, of which Peterborough are one of very few, or lower championship clubs, who are relying on selling players to bring someone in, and szmodics may not be top of their wish list seeing as hes only ever played about half an hour of championship football. 1 million and the obvious sell on clause and most of us would snap your hand off

1 hour ago, BOSRed said:

How many cash flush clubs are there in league 1?

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Well, realised he is not up to it, or think he isn't good enough. Same kind of thing. If he goes then that's surely what Holden thinks.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

What's with the confused emoji Graham? Tell me what you're confused about and I am happy to answer ?

You said he has realised he isn’t up to it, this is based on what?

1 game? Or 2 sub appearances of 10 minutes or so?

It is far more likely to be because we have too many players competing for the same position & he is easiest to sell, but you always have to choose the binary option.

If we had 3 good goalies, say Bentley, O’Leary and Maenpaa, would us getting rid of the latter always have to mean that he wasn’t good enough?

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You said he has realised he isn’t up to it, this is based on what?

1 game? Or 2 sub appearances of 10 minutes or so?

6 months of first team training sessions and u23's matches? No judgement myself on it but there's more than what you've listed

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

6 months of first team training sessions and u23's matches? No judgement myself on it but there's more than what you've listed

Honest question, did he play many U23 games?

Training definitely (though he gives me the impression of someone who would always put it in whilst training).

I got the impression he didn’t feature much for the U23s, but happy to be corrected.

Just now, GrahamC said:

Honest question, did he play many U23 games?

Training definitely (though he gives me the impression of someone who would always put it in whilst training).

I got the impression he didn’t feature much for the U23s, but happy to be corrected.

Featured in at least a few from memory, including one that was filled with mostly 1st team players

One thing that needs to be considered is wages...it’s not just fee.

There’s a good chance Sam chose us over Peterborough (maybe others) last summer because we offered more wages.

To go to Peterborough now, with them under the Lg1 salary cap, is gonna make a deal much more difficult....unless we offer to pay some of his wages.

I recall LJ saying he wasn't convinced about signing him but was persuaded by his numbers. It seems Dean is also unconvinced so I expect him to leave.

He may be one of those signed with a view to selling at a profit and never intended to be a first team regular. The part of the club's strategy that is never talked about.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

One thing that needs to be considered is wages...it’s not just fee.

There’s a good chance Sam chose us over Peterborough (maybe others) last summer because we offered more wages.

To go to Peterborough now, with them under the Lg1 salary cap, is gonna make a deal much more difficult....unless we offer to pay some of his wages.

All t he more reason to demand a higher transfer fee if we part pay his wages. Otherwise, they are shopping above their station!

On 20/08/2020 at 09:50, Port Said Red said:
said:

Don’t think Sunderland have any money at all, so I cannot see how he will end up there.

Feel sorry for him, yet another baffling Ashton signing when we already had Paterson & then added Palmer

Toney signed this morning for Brentford for £5m (rising to £10m) could now start things moving with Sammie. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Toney signed this morning for Brentford for £5m (rising to £10m) could now start things moving with Sammie. 

Reckon so.

Suppose the only decision if they do want him is whether to hold on to him until after the Exeter game, seeing as we are going to really struggle to fill the subs bench.

In fairness to him I’d be inclined to get on with it so he can settle.

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Reckon so.

Suppose the only decision if they do want him is whether to hold on to him until after the Exeter game, seeing as we are going to really struggle to fill the subs bench.

In fairness to him I’d be inclined to get on with it so he can settle.

Wouldn’t want to get cup-tied either.

I’m really mixed on this one.  There’s a part of me that says he could do a good job as the fourth striker behind Wells, Weimann and Diedhiou, and he fits the press from the front system (more than Semenyo for example).  The fee we get is the trade-off.  If it enabled us to say go and get Macauley Bonne, then I’d be happy.

But we can’t let Peterborough get him on the cheap.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Wouldn’t want to get cup-tied either.

I’m really mixed on this one.  There’s a part of me that says he could do a good job as the fourth striker behind Wells, Weimann and Diedhiou, and he fits the press from the front system (more than Semenyo for example).  The fee we get is the trade-off.  If it enabled us to say go and get Macauley Bonne, then I’d be happy.

But we can’t let Peterborough get him on the cheap.

My guess is a good old fashioned British compromise takes place, he is on the bench v Exeter but doesn’t come on..

I think we have decided he is behind Palmer & Paterson in the pecking order so in a market where virtually no one is spending money (I really don’t buy the comment above about “other players being easy to sell” ?) then he is a saleable asset, & I reckon we are looking at £1m, which is a profit.

Think any need for a 4th striker behind Wells, Diedhiou & Weimann would come from either Paterson being pushed forward behind a lone one or Semenyo coming into the 18, we need to save money & those seem effective & cost effective solutions.

26 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

My guess is a good old fashioned British compromise takes place, he is on the bench v Exeter but doesn’t come on..

I think we have decided he is behind Palmer & Paterson in the pecking order so in a market where virtually no one is spending money (I really don’t buy the comment above about “other players being easy to sell” ?) then he is a saleable asset, & I reckon we are looking at £1m, which is a profit.

Think any need for a 4th striker behind Wells, Diedhiou & Weimann would come from either Paterson being pushed forward behind a lone one or Semenyo coming into the 18, we need to save money & those seem effective & cost effective solutions.

Would be good to know that Diedhiou is on board by signing his contract.

Surely off to Posh now with the Toney money banked. Holden has had a good look at him and clearly doesn’t think he will make it and/or fit the requirements of the side. Holden seems to put a premium on fitness and ability to press so Szmodics can’t have helped himself coming back for pre-season out of shape.

3 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Surely off to Posh now with the Toney money banked. Holden has had a good look at him and clearly doesn’t think he will make it and/or fit the requirements of the side. Holden seems to put a premium on fitness and ability to press so Szmodics can’t have helped himself coming back for pre-season out of shape.

Did he?

Archived