IGNORED

Sammie Szmodics - Signs for Peterborough

Red Army 75

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Wouldn’t want to get cup-tied either.

I’m really mixed on this one.  There’s a part of me that says he could do a good job as the fourth striker behind Wells, Weimann and Diedhiou, and he fits the press from the front system (more than Semenyo for example).  The fee we get is the trade-off.  If it enabled us to say go and get Macauley Bonne, then I’d be happy.

But we can’t let Peterborough get him on the cheap.

I agree with you that Bonne would be ideal, but if Fam stays, I'm not convinced we sign a striker in this window.

Defenders are such a priority atm that I could imagine us making do with what we've got.

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

I agree with you that Bonne would be ideal, but if Fam stays, I'm not convinced we sign a striker in this window.

Defenders are such a priority atm that I could imagine us making do with what we've got.

Agree, agree, agree.

14 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Surely off to Posh now with the Toney money banked. Holden has had a good look at him and clearly doesn’t think he will make it and/or fit the requirements of the side. Holden seems to put a premium on fitness and ability to press so Szmodics can’t have helped himself coming back for pre-season out of shape.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

10 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Did he?

Yes, did he?

6 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Just my view looking at him in pre-season compared to someone like Nagy athletically and endurance-wise, or even HNM for upper body strength.

So just a view....not taking into account him and Nagy have completely different physiques. Sorry, but “jeez”, it just really annoys me when stuff like this gets posted as fact.  Sorry to rant. ?

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So just a view....not taking into account him and Nagy have completely different physiques. Sorry, but “jeez”, it just really annoys me when stuff like this gets posted as fact.  Sorry to rant. ?

It’s a forum mate if you don’t like opinions you’re in the wrong place!

Agree that different players have different physiques but there is a minimum expectation for fitness and I wonder whether SS is below this. Whereas Pato, HNM, Nagy, Morrell are above.

27 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Just my view looking at him in pre-season compared to someone like Nagy athletically and endurance-wise, or even HNM for upper body strength.

Nagy got the highest score on the yo-yo test, worst person to compare to then if you want to talk fitness ?

8 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

It’s a forum mate if you don’t like opinions you’re in the wrong place!

Agree that different players have different physiques but there is a minimum expectation for fitness and I wonder whether SS is below this. Whereas Pato, HNM, Nagy, Morrell are above.

You stated it as fact!

Holden seems to put a premium on fitness and ability to press so Szmodics can’t have helped himself coming back for pre-season out of shape.

it’s fine to wonder like you have done above (bold).  We all do that.

FWIW my opinion is that Szmodics is a Duracell bunny who can run and run (albeit not as well as Nagy).  His time at Colchester showed oodles of energy.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You stated it as fact!

Holden seems to put a premium on fitness and ability to press so Szmodics can’t have helped himself coming back for pre-season out of shape.

it’s fine to wonder like you have done above (bold).  We all do that.

FWIW my opinion is that Szmodics is a Duracell bunny who can run and run (albeit not as well as Nagy).  His time at Colchester showed oodles of energy.

I will continue to wonder about his current level of fitness. Which btw isn’t incompatible with your opinion stated above.

5 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

I will continue to wonder about his current level of fitness. Which btw isn’t incompatible with your opinion stated above.

I'd also back Fevs opinion on Szmodics, one of his main attributes is his aerobic capacity and how much he'd run around the pitch, would be strange for SS to not to know this and keep himself in the same shape

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

For me if we keep it how it is up top then it could be pretty vital for Wells to stay fit.

If he was to get injured then I'd probably prefer a slight change in shape with Fam in the lone role and 2 floating behind him. A sort of 5221.

Bonne in could completely solve any problems there. I imagine he could partner any of the current forwards including Weimann.

Fam and Wells up top. With Bonne and Weimann as subs to come on when they tire. And obviously some rotation there too.

And Holden might still look at using Weimann in a box to box role at times too. Depending if a few are to leave from that midfield position on loan or permanently.

If that's the case then we'd be really short up front. Though I know Weimann has been playing up top in preseason, so maybe Holden has moved away from that idea.

I'm not sure you can keep them all happy. Wells cost 3-4 mill and is the senior pro at the club so has to be the number one striker. Weimann's all round contribution makes him a gaffer's favourite, and Fam is going to need persuading that he should sign a new deal. His defensive quality also gives him a crucial edge.

So poor old Macauley has to either be happy to be 'patient' at City, when he might have better opportunities for regular Championship minutes elsewhere. Tricky.

According to one article online:

Championship sides that have been reported to be vying for the 24-year-old’s signature include Tendai Darikwa’s Nottingham Forest, Norwich City, Cardiff City, Derby County, Luton Town and Blackburn.

He'll be getting some good financial offers and will balance it up against opportunity for gametime. 

23 minutes ago, mozo said:

I'm not sure you can keep them all happy. Wells cost 3-4 mill and is the senior pro at the club so has to be the number one striker. Weimann's all round contribution makes him a gaffer's favourite, and Fam is going to need persuading that he should sign a new deal. His defensive quality also gives him a crucial edge.

So poor old Macauley has to either be happy to be 'patient' at City, when he might have better opportunities for regular Championship minutes elsewhere. Tricky.

According to one article online:

Championship sides that have been reported to be vying for the 24-year-old’s signature include Tendai Darikwa’s Nottingham Forest, Norwich City, Cardiff City, Derby County, Luton Town and Blackburn.

He'll be getting some good financial offers and will balance it up against opportunity for gametime. 

That’s the rub isn’t it. Bonne is probably the wrong timing for us in reality sitting here on a Sunday afternoon.  Weimann has a year option, Wells is long-term, and we can assume that if Diedhiou does extend he’s gonna be here til at least 2022.  Things can change quickly though.

9 minutes ago, petehinton said:

If he carries on the form he showed there end of season he is worth 5-6 mill in a years time

He'd struggle with the competition in our team and with the standard 20% sell on we'll make a tidy profit on top of what we've already made so ain't all bad.

17 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

What did we pay for him?

⬇️⬇️⬇️

15 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I think about half of what we are receiving around 700k.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

9 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Add him to the list. 

Engvall, Adelakun, Eisa, Szmodics

I think he may fall into the 

let’s pick up one of the best available league players, get him some game time, loan him out to Lg1, raise his profile....and sell him for a profit.

Financially it’s just about worked out with Mo and Sam (if you take wages into account too), but it hasn’t for Adelakun.

Suspect we will owe Colchester some of the profit too....like we did with Mo and Cheltenham.

Good move for all concerned. No doubt some will use the Mo Eisa stick here of why sign him to start with but what we have here is this:

- A player who was low enough cost for us to take a punt on

- A player who didn’t look quite ready for this level

- A player who is undoubtedly good enough for the level down

- A player who’ll get games he needs now and we make a tidy profit on, while still having a stake in future development

No issues with anything in the whole transaction. My only side thought is that if Sammie is a good player at a top six L1 side (he is) but not good enough yet at this level do we expect too much of Morrell and Walsh..?

Seems like a wasted signing, but I'm looking at this in the view that we have improved our squad and after selling Szmodics we should breakeven (fee's paid). 

Joe Williams - £1.25m

Chris Martin - Free

Alfie Mawson - Loan 

Steven Sessegnon - Loan

Chris Brunt - Free

Total - £1.25m (plus wages)

Out:

Szmodics - £1m+

A player who won't be used this year has covered our outgoing fees so far. 

Any other outgoings now will be money in the bank for January.

Archived