Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Sammie Szmodics - Signs for Peterborough


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BOSRed said:

Would be disappointed if we accept anything less than 2mill. He’s already proved a handful in league one scoring goals and assisting. He is in high demand which should only drive up his value also and we know at least one buying club Is coming into some good money.

couple that with Ashton who is good at maximising transfer fees for players, 1mill people are stating sound stupidly low

How many cash flush clubs are there in league 1?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Well, realised he is not up to it, or think he isn't good enough. Same kind of thing. If he goes then that's surely what Holden thinks.

 

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

What's with the confused emoji Graham? Tell me what you're confused about and I am happy to answer 🙂

You said he has realised he isn’t up to it, this is based on what?

1 game? Or 2 sub appearances of 10 minutes or so?

It is far more likely to be because we have too many players competing for the same position & he is easiest to sell, but you always have to choose the binary option.

If we had 3 good goalies, say Bentley, O’Leary and Maenpaa, would us getting rid of the latter always have to mean that he wasn’t good enough?

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You said he has realised he isn’t up to it, this is based on what?

1 game? Or 2 sub appearances of 10 minutes or so?

6 months of first team training sessions and u23's matches? No judgement myself on it but there's more than what you've listed

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

6 months of first team training sessions and u23's matches? No judgement myself on it but there's more than what you've listed

Honest question, did he play many U23 games?

Training definitely (though he gives me the impression of someone who would always put it in whilst training).

I got the impression he didn’t feature much for the U23s, but happy to be corrected.

Edited by GrahamC
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GrahamC said:

Honest question, did he play many U23 games?

Training definitely (though he gives me the impression of someone who would always put it in whilst training).

I got the impression he didn’t feature much for the U23s, but happy to be corrected.

Featured in at least a few from memory, including one that was filled with mostly 1st team players

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

 

You said he has realised he isn’t up to it, this is based on what?

1 game? Or 2 sub appearances of 10 minutes or so?

It is far more likely to be because we have too many players competing for the same position & he is easiest to sell, but you always have to choose the binary option.

If we had 3 good goalies, say Bentley, O’Leary and Maenpaa, would us getting rid of the latter always have to mean that he wasn’t good enough?

I would assume based on training mainly.

I expect he is quite easy to sell if we are looking to sell him. I bet some of the others would be easy to sell too.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that needs to be considered is wages...it’s not just fee.

There’s a good chance Sam chose us over Peterborough (maybe others) last summer because we offered more wages.

To go to Peterborough now, with them under the Lg1 salary cap, is gonna make a deal much more difficult....unless we offer to pay some of his wages.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I recall LJ saying he wasn't convinced about signing him but was persuaded by his numbers. It seems Dean is also unconvinced so I expect him to leave.

He may be one of those signed with a view to selling at a profit and never intended to be a first team regular. The part of the club's strategy that is never talked about.

  • Like 3
  • Robin 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

One thing that needs to be considered is wages...it’s not just fee.

There’s a good chance Sam chose us over Peterborough (maybe others) last summer because we offered more wages.

To go to Peterborough now, with them under the Lg1 salary cap, is gonna make a deal much more difficult....unless we offer to pay some of his wages.

 

All t he more reason to demand a higher transfer fee if we part pay his wages. Otherwise, they are shopping above their station!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/08/2020 at 09:50, Port Said Red said:
said:

Don’t think Sunderland have any money at all, so I cannot see how he will end up there.

Feel sorry for him, yet another baffling Ashton signing when we already had Paterson & then added Palmer

Toney signed this morning for Brentford for £5m (rising to £10m) could now start things moving with Sammie. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Toney signed this morning for Brentford for £5m (rising to £10m) could now start things moving with Sammie. 

Reckon so.

Suppose the only decision if they do want him is whether to hold on to him until after the Exeter game, seeing as we are going to really struggle to fill the subs bench.

In fairness to him I’d be inclined to get on with it so he can settle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Reckon so.

Suppose the only decision if they do want him is whether to hold on to him until after the Exeter game, seeing as we are going to really struggle to fill the subs bench.

In fairness to him I’d be inclined to get on with it so he can settle.

Wouldn’t want to get cup-tied either.

I’m really mixed on this one.  There’s a part of me that says he could do a good job as the fourth striker behind Wells, Weimann and Diedhiou, and he fits the press from the front system (more than Semenyo for example).  The fee we get is the trade-off.  If it enabled us to say go and get Macauley Bonne, then I’d be happy.

But we can’t let Peterborough get him on the cheap.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Wouldn’t want to get cup-tied either.

I’m really mixed on this one.  There’s a part of me that says he could do a good job as the fourth striker behind Wells, Weimann and Diedhiou, and he fits the press from the front system (more than Semenyo for example).  The fee we get is the trade-off.  If it enabled us to say go and get Macauley Bonne, then I’d be happy.

But we can’t let Peterborough get him on the cheap.

My guess is a good old fashioned British compromise takes place, he is on the bench v Exeter but doesn’t come on..

I think we have decided he is behind Palmer & Paterson in the pecking order so in a market where virtually no one is spending money (I really don’t buy the comment above about “other players being easy to sell” 😂) then he is a saleable asset, & I reckon we are looking at £1m, which is a profit.

Think any need for a 4th striker behind Wells, Diedhiou & Weimann would come from either Paterson being pushed forward behind a lone one or Semenyo coming into the 18, we need to save money & those seem effective & cost effective solutions.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

My guess is a good old fashioned British compromise takes place, he is on the bench v Exeter but doesn’t come on..

I think we have decided he is behind Palmer & Paterson in the pecking order so in a market where virtually no one is spending money (I really don’t buy the comment above about “other players being easy to sell” 😂) then he is a saleable asset, & I reckon we are looking at £1m, which is a profit.

Think any need for a 4th striker behind Wells, Diedhiou & Weimann would come from either Paterson being pushed forward behind a lone one or Semenyo coming into the 18, we need to save money & those seem effective & cost effective solutions.

Would be good to know that Diedhiou is on board by signing his contract.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely off to Posh now with the Toney money banked. Holden has had a good look at him and clearly doesn’t think he will make it and/or fit the requirements of the side. Holden seems to put a premium on fitness and ability to press so Szmodics can’t have helped himself coming back for pre-season out of shape.

  • Hmmm 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Surely off to Posh now with the Toney money banked. Holden has had a good look at him and clearly doesn’t think he will make it and/or fit the requirements of the side. Holden seems to put a premium on fitness and ability to press so Szmodics can’t have helped himself coming back for pre-season out of shape.

Did he?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Wouldn’t want to get cup-tied either.

I’m really mixed on this one.  There’s a part of me that says he could do a good job as the fourth striker behind Wells, Weimann and Diedhiou, and he fits the press from the front system (more than Semenyo for example).  The fee we get is the trade-off.  If it enabled us to say go and get Macauley Bonne, then I’d be happy.

But we can’t let Peterborough get him on the cheap.

I agree with you that Bonne would be ideal, but if Fam stays, I'm not convinced we sign a striker in this window.

Defenders are such a priority atm that I could imagine us making do with what we've got.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mozo said:

I agree with you that Bonne would be ideal, but if Fam stays, I'm not convinced we sign a striker in this window.

Defenders are such a priority atm that I could imagine us making do with what we've got.

Agree, agree, agree.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Surely off to Posh now with the Toney money banked. Holden has had a good look at him and clearly doesn’t think he will make it and/or fit the requirements of the side. Holden seems to put a premium on fitness and ability to press so Szmodics can’t have helped himself coming back for pre-season out of shape.

I didn't know he came back out of shape?

Interesting. Maybe that does have something to do with it. Or maybe it was always likely he would be behind the others. Who knows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Surely off to Posh now with the Toney money banked. Holden has had a good look at him and clearly doesn’t think he will make it and/or fit the requirements of the side. Holden seems to put a premium on fitness and ability to press so Szmodics can’t have helped himself coming back for pre-season out of shape.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

10 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Did he?

Yes, did he?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mozo said:

I agree with you that Bonne would be ideal, but if Fam stays, I'm not convinced we sign a striker in this window.

Defenders are such a priority atm that I could imagine us making do with what we've got.

For me if we keep it how it is up top then it could be pretty vital for Wells to stay fit.

If he was to get injured then I'd probably prefer a slight change in shape with Fam in the lone role and 2 floating behind him. A sort of 5221.

Bonne in could completely solve any problems there. I imagine he could partner any of the current forwards including Weimann.

Fam and Wells up top. With Bonne and Weimann as subs to come on when they tire. And obviously some rotation there too.

And Holden might still look at using Weimann in a box to box role at times too. Depending if a few are to leave from that midfield position on loan or permanently.

If that's the case then we'd be really short up front. Though I know Weimann has been playing up top in preseason, so maybe Holden has moved away from that idea.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Just my view looking at him in pre-season compared to someone like Nagy athletically and endurance-wise, or even HNM for upper body strength.

So just a view....not taking into account him and Nagy have completely different physiques. Sorry, but “jeez”, it just really annoys me when stuff like this gets posted as fact.  Sorry to rant. 😀

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So just a view....not taking into account him and Nagy have completely different physiques. Sorry, but “jeez”, it just really annoys me when stuff like this gets posted as fact.  Sorry to rant. 😀

It’s a forum mate if you don’t like opinions you’re in the wrong place!

Agree that different players have different physiques but there is a minimum expectation for fitness and I wonder whether SS is below this. Whereas Pato, HNM, Nagy, Morrell are above.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Just my view looking at him in pre-season compared to someone like Nagy athletically and endurance-wise, or even HNM for upper body strength.

Nagy got the highest score on the yo-yo test, worst person to compare to then if you want to talk fitness 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

It’s a forum mate if you don’t like opinions you’re in the wrong place!

Agree that different players have different physiques but there is a minimum expectation for fitness and I wonder whether SS is below this. Whereas Pato, HNM, Nagy, Morrell are above.

You stated it as fact!

Holden seems to put a premium on fitness and ability to press so Szmodics can’t have helped himself coming back for pre-season out of shape.

it’s fine to wonder like you have done above (bold).  We all do that.

FWIW my opinion is that Szmodics is a Duracell bunny who can run and run (albeit not as well as Nagy).  His time at Colchester showed oodles of energy.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You stated it as fact!

Holden seems to put a premium on fitness and ability to press so Szmodics can’t have helped himself coming back for pre-season out of shape.

it’s fine to wonder like you have done above (bold).  We all do that.

FWIW my opinion is that Szmodics is a Duracell bunny who can run and run (albeit not as well as Nagy).  His time at Colchester showed oodles of energy.

I will continue to wonder about his current level of fitness. Which btw isn’t incompatible with your opinion stated above.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

I will continue to wonder about his current level of fitness. Which btw isn’t incompatible with your opinion stated above.

I'd also back Fevs opinion on Szmodics, one of his main attributes is his aerobic capacity and how much he'd run around the pitch, would be strange for SS to not to know this and keep himself in the same shape

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • TomF changed the title to Sammie Szmodics - Signs for Peterborough

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...