Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Sammie Szmodics - Signs for Peterborough

Good luck to him, seemed a very nice bloke & can honestly say he didn’t get the opportunity to see what he could do.

That said when Brunt signed we then had 15 players who could play in one of the midfield positions so we were obviously going to move at least 4 on.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

⬇️⬇️⬇️

I think he may fall into the 

let’s pick up one of the best available league players, get him some game time, loan him out to Lg1, raise his profile....and sell him for a profit.

Financially it’s just about worked out with Mo and Sam (if you take wages into account too), but it hasn’t for Adelakun.

Suspect we will owe Colchester some of the profit too....like we did with Mo and Cheltenham.

We bought Mo whereas Szomdics was compensation so would be more comparable to Brownhill and PNE wouldn't it? Purely depends what was in the compensation agreement, can see Colchester wanting more of it upfront so if there was any form of sell on can't see it being much. Also £750,000 we paid in compensation would have been spread over the 3 seasons so £250,000 on our books vs the rumoured £1m - £1.5m seen bandied about online so could be anywhere in the £750,000 to £1.25m area for profit on the transfer. Wages I would guess a max of 6k a week based on the fact he joined us over Peterborough for champ football rather than money so nudge over £300,000 for wages for the season, assume P'boro would have paid at least half from Jan so I'd guess maybe £175,000 paid in wages. So books wise would make it anywhere between £575,000 - £1,075,000 profit wouldn't it?  

5 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

We bought Mo whereas Szomdics was compensation so would be more comparable to Brownhill and PNE wouldn't it? Purely depends what was in the compensation agreement, can see Colchester wanting more of it upfront so if there was any form of sell on can't see it being much. Also £750,000 we paid in compensation would have been spread over the 3 seasons so £250,000 on our books vs the rumoured £1m - £1.5m seen bandied about online so could be anywhere in the £750,000 to £1.25m area for profit on the transfer. Wages I would guess a max of 6k a week based on the fact he joined us over Peterborough for champ football rather than money so nudge over £300,000 for wages for the season, assume P'boro would have paid at least half from Jan so I'd guess maybe £175,000 paid in wages. So books wise would make it anywhere between £575,000 - £1,075,000 profit wouldn't it?  

Fee for Szmodics was widely quoted as £720k, so the profit on a deal of just over a million is quite a bit less than that, though obviously he is off the wage bill, too.

• TomF changed the title to Sammie Szmodics - Signs for Peterborough
2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Fee for Szmodics was widely quoted as £720k, so the profit on a deal of just over a million is quite a bit less than that, though obviously he is off the wage bill, too.

Would probably need @Mr Popodopolous or @Davefevs on this being in better knowledge than myself but normally fees are amortised but not sure how it works with compensation. 

Just now, Redrascal2 said:

What a waste of a good player. Typical Johnson. Sign them , never give them a decent chance and sell them. Let's hope these days are over now he has gone.

Typical Johnson? 

Can think of 4 players off the top of my head where that is the case. Not all transfers work out and he was given plenty of chances in training to put himself in the first team. Obviously he never took that chance 

• Like 1

Ultimately the club have done right by the player enabling him to get on with his career which stalled here .

The few chances he had to press his claim weren’t taken by him, through trying too hard or nerves , who knows ? .

I feel we have too many of his type of player at the club so it is no surprise that he’s gone . We had to balance the books a bit as well and SS had suitors so sadly it’s his  City career over . 

I wish him well and hope we have a sell on fee. 

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Like 1
On 19/08/2020 at 19:32, GrahamC said:

Don’t think Sunderland have any money at all, so I cannot see how he will end up there.

Feel sorry for him, yet another baffling Ashton signing when we already had Paterson & then added Palmer.

As others have said if Peterborough sell Toney then it would make far more sense for him to end up there.

At the time Palmer was on tour with Frank Lampard's chelsea and there was a chance he would stay there. I think we signed SS as a calculated punt back up plan. Unfortunately he became surplus to requirements very quickly once Palmer signed.

I think you could read the same with Eisa and Adelakun. See if they can make the step up and as long as you can recoup your outlay everyone wins.

It would be great if all signings work out but sadly not all do

• Like 1

By my back of a fag packet calculation, he got 172 minutes play time for us last season. More chances given than Mo Eisa got ,to name but one we discarded but who bangs 'em in at lower league level. 

Szmodics never seemed remotely to get into the game. You have to ask, who you'd drop to risk giving him game time now?

This move is right for us, right for him and makes for decent business IMO.

• Like 2

Good move for him and us I think. Played poorly a couple of times for us but didn't play many games. Most important thing is Holden sees him as being behind many of the others.

Mo Eisa going there seems to have been the right decision, seeing as he was dropped to their bench the second half of last season. I'll trust the club again on this one from what they see on the training ground.

1 hour ago, Snufflelufagus said:

No mention of sell on fee. But we have a vast array of midfielders and ultimately can't play them all.

I don't think we've sold one single player without a sell on clause since Andy Cole signed for Man Utd.

13 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

What a waste of a good player. Typical Johnson. Sign them , never give them a decent chance and sell them. Let's hope these days are over now he has gone.

Only on OTIB can an ex manager be blamed for his successor selling a player! 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1