IGNORED

Joe Williams - Confirmed (Merged)

Red Army 75

Top signing this. I did question whether we needed an additional centre mid with the quality we already had but if we did add I'm really glad it's Joe, a tough tackling, ever improving all round centre mid with over 100 championship games under his belt already. Here's a good video highlighting some of his key attributes.

Quality, exactly what we needed.

I am wondering if this means a midfielder will be leaving, if DH goes with 2 traditional CMs and a number 10 then someone is going to have their game time seriously reduced. 

Massengo loan? Nagy perm? Still think we are yet to see the best of Nagy. Could be Walsh for all we know if he isn’t willing to sign a new deal.

8 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

Top signing this. I did question whether we needed an additional centre mid with the quality we already had but if we did add I'm really glad it's Joe, a tough tackling, ever improving all round centre mid with over 100 championship games under his belt already. Here's a good video highlighting some of his key attributes.

@Phileas Fogg

1 minute ago, marcofisher said:

Quality, exactly what we needed.

I am wondering if this means a midfielder will be leaving, if DH goes with 2 traditional CMs and a number 10 then someone is going to have their game time seriously reduced. 

Massengo loan? Nagy perm? Still think we are yet to see the best of Nagy. Could be Walsh for all we know if he isn’t willing to sign a new deal.

I’m hoping this is just Korey’s replacement. Walsh and Morrell should be in and around the first team.

11 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Hate to be ‘that guy’, but anyone shed any light on him? People seem pretty pleased and I assume reading comments a pretty well thought of DM/CM?

There has been a lot of people touting him over in the transfer forum in previous windows. Likes a tackle apparently, which I am a little unsure about in the modern game, but played alongside Liam Walsh in Everton’s youth team. No outstanding injury issues, but may pick up a few bookings and suspensions, just as well we have cover maybe. :)

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

I’m hoping this is just Korey’s replacement. Walsh and Morrell should be in and around the first team.

I 100% agree, and for me Williams and Walsh are probably the best 2 we have. We still probably have 1 centre mid too many though, so interesting to see what will happen.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

There has been a lot of people touting him over in the transfer forum in previous windows. Likes a tackle apparently, which I am a little unsure about in the modern game, but played alongside Liam Walsh in Everton’s youth team. No outstanding injury issues, but may pick up a few bookings and suspensions, just as well we have cover maybe. :)

Ta. Fair bit about him from our sages in the Transfer Forum ‘Wigan players’ thread.

Just now, WirralRobin said:

This from a Wigan fan on twitter bodes very well!

image.thumb.png.b434c7c311299dce3073aa531e84e261.png

Exactly what we need. Take a bit of pressure of the defense. Been years now that anyone with a bit of physicality can just waltz through our midfield. 

I would like to see some more of Nagy with a battling DM next to him. 

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Yep, Williams and Walsh played together in midfield for the Everton youth team which Walsh captained to become PL2 Champions in 16/17.

Very encouraging signing and you'd imagine a positive one regarding Walsh's own future at AG - presumably Walsh will have been asked about the move by his old mate, and put in a good word for City, so perhaps Walsh has been convinced that under DH he has a major role to play at AG going forward.

I hope so, and even more enthused about Williams' signing if that is the case. 

1 minute ago, redsince1994 said:

Exactly what we need. Take a bit of pressure of the defense. Been years now that anyone with a bit of physicality can just waltz through our midfield. 

I would like to see some more of Nagy with a battling DM next to him. 

Yep agree completely! Can see him getting the best out of Nagy and even Massengo or Morrell too

36 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Hate to be ‘that guy’, but anyone shed any light on him? People seem pretty pleased and I assume reading comments a pretty well thought of DM/CM?

A really good player. I liked the look of him versus us. Although that isn’t a good barometer!

Happy with this for sure!

32 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

I think this sums up how I feel now. I too questioned whether we needed another midfielder, but as others pointed out his height and tough tackling does bring something different. Given the market we're playing in since the pandemic he appears to be the best available, certainly the best value for money. Welcome Joe. 

Archived