IGNORED

Joe Williams - Confirmed (Merged)

Red Army 75

44 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Not in the Post as an exclusive, no Twitter pointers from @GeeMacGee, just a pop up message at 8am via the Robins app with a picture of the away kit. Really odd way of doing it. Good news though, I’d feared the worst when you saw some of the other clubs allegedly interested.

Yep....Very unusual not to see leaks on here from notoriously unreliable sources and  nothing from GmG in the Post either..........

Seems the club managed to keep the lid on this one.

1 minute ago, Banjo Red said:

Welcome Joe great bit of business.

Midfield looking very full who do we think is going out on loan or possibly sold?

Not sure we’ve got too many in midfield.  Play any three of Williams, Nagy, Walsh, Morrell, Massengo, with the other two on the bench.  Looks about right to me.  Williams is as much a replacement for Josh Brownhill as Korey Smith.  We were light on midfielders last season.

This reminds me of the sort of signing we made to such great effect in the summer before our double winning season, just a division up!

Great value, great age, really good experience in the division, obvious talent and fans of the team we've taken him from gutted to be losing him. The more I think about it the better a signing he seems!

Just now, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Not sure we’ve got too many in midfield.  Play any three of Williams, Nagy, Walsh, Morrell, Massengo, with the other two on the bench.  Looks about right to me.  Williams is as much a replacement for Josh Brownhill as Korey Smith.  We were light on midfielders last season.

I have said for a long time that the game has gone past being just being the 11 at the start of the game. Having fresh legs and different options from the bench is the key to success in the modern game.

Welcome Joe, lots to like about this signing; good experience for a 23 year old and by all accounts a different midfielder to our current stock (think we have too many similar types of midfielders). Just a thought, it would be brilliant if he turns out to be a Gow/Smith combo. Not sure how much he cost but getting him on a four year deal appears a sound investment. 

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I have said for a long time that the game has gone past being just being the 11 at the start of the game. Having fresh legs and different options from the bench is the key to success in the modern game.

Especially this season, it's going to be 2 games a week for most of it. There'll be plenty of opportunities for all of them.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

We said the same about Henriksen

Yes and I think Henriksen done okay initially. He was not helped at all by his manager who picked the bloke 4 times in about 12 days (including games against Leeds & WBA!) after he hadn't played club football all season! 

Very pleased with this signing though, definitely feels like a good replacement for Smith/Brownhill. Almost like there was a plan in place when we let Smith go.

18 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

I was gutted to see Korey go but now I understand why. This guy is different gravy. 

Hang on....! 

Are you suggesting that we might have a plan and that DH cam actually attract players..?! 

Wash your mouth out and resume negative comments immediately..! 

27 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think we've got exactly the right amount of central midfielders for what will be a hectic season with rotation needed at times (not the tumble, mind).

It's the attacking midfielder area that concerns me with Paterson, Palmer and Szmodics leaving us with clutter. I guess the latter will be off though.

Got to say credit where its due to Ashton and the Club on this one after recent events. I wasn't convinced we'd sign anyone until right at the end of the window but we've moved quickly to get this deal done.

Pleased also that even with the financial challenges of the club right now, Landsdown is still putting money in.

Well done City and welcome Joe.

4 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Welcome Joe! That's midfield sorted imo. Williams and Walsh when we're offensive, Williams and Nagy when holding. Massengo covering any injuries. Loan out Morrell and sorted.

Now to bring in some full backs!

Got to keep morrell, if we’re planning on playing 3-5-2 then 4 centre midfielders won’t be enough. 

Would be really interested to see a Morrell, Williams and Walsh centre midfield 3, that could be class if utilised correctly

3 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Well done City, sounds a highly promising midfielder, bags of experience already and still so young.  Quality signing.

I didn't believe City would spend anything this summer - so good to be proven wrong on that sense.

Thanks for signing, Joe!

It was obvious to me they were going to back Holden. Ashton knows his job depends on Holden's success and not backing him is counterproductive. 

I can't see a downside to this signing tbh. Highly rated, 100 Championship games under his belt so he's done much of his learning already, decent fee and provides a different type of midfield player to what we have or have had. Hopefully an upgrade on the Korey Smith of the last 2 seasons (on the sporadic occasions he was actually fit).

Archived