IGNORED

Joe Williams - Confirmed (Merged)

Red Army 75

1 minute ago, City oz said:

Ok i agree a bargain. Especially if we end up staying in the championship. It looks like our expectations have been lowered and most of you have been brain washed by SL 

This has to be a 'whooosh' surely but I'll bite - how many of the great signings we made prior to our double winning season of 2014/2015 did we sign for 'big money' as established 'stars' of the league? Very few if any I'd argue. Who we did sign was on the whole young, hungry, talented players who had stood out in their respective teams previously, many from relegated sides, who we were able to get for great value and that's a model I'm very happy we are going down again (at least in this signing).

Williams was a stand out player for a team that effectively finished 13th last season and surely will only get better with age. For me this signing only adds to our ability to challenge for promotion and certainly doesn't diminish it in any way.

9 minutes ago, City oz said:

Ok i agree a bargain. Especially if we end up staying in the championship. It looks like our expectations have been lowered and most of you have been brain washed by SL 

Or we pay attention to football outside the little bubble that is OTIB and realise that Williams is a quality player and plays a role that we have been crying out for, for about 5 years.

1 minute ago, RedRoss said:

You haven't got a clue.. When did you go and watch Wigan play and see first hand what Joe Williams can do? 

Sorry we didn't get Messi! 

We bought Webster from Ipswich and look what he turned into. Your brainwashed by your own personal agenda against the hierarchy.

I know this example has been done to death but I bet there were Leicester fans who were moaning when they signed Vardy from Fleetwood. 

39 minutes ago, City oz said:

Ok a good player. I’m a bit worried signing a player from Wigan. Really is this looking to the future or yet another stop gap.

i think more probable a bit of hype from the directors giving DH some b%%#s with the media

this is not promotion sort of signing to me.

Have to disagree here oz. IMO he is the exact sort of signing we should be looking at . And I’m surprised we got him if I’m honest I didn’t expect any signings . Just a couple of loans maybe 

4 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

You haven't got a clue.. When did you go and watch Wigan play and see first hand what Joe Williams can do? 

Sorry we didn't get Messi! 

We bought Webster from Ipswich and look what he turned into. Your brainwashed by your own personal agenda against the hierarchy.

Have we not heard that story before. We found a bargain player however we are still in the same league again .

show some spirit and encourage some positivity on how a signing will get prem football at BS3. 

Not sure your age but Division one for me will never be forgotten. What will be forgotten is the frustration that we almost do it but we dont do it.

Have we not heard that story before. We found a bargain player however we are still in the same league again .

show some spirit and encourage some positivity on how a signing will get prem football at BS3. 

Not sure your age but Division one for me will never be forgotten. What will be forgotten is the frustration that we almost do it but we dont do it.

Genuine question Oz, who would you like to see us go out and and attempt to sign? Who fits your bill as realistic 'star' name options that you think we could persuade to the club if we had the money to spend?

Yeah your right we shouldn't sign anyone because we've failed to make it to the Prem before.. we should accept our fate of mediocrity. 

You previously acknowledged others have said this new signing is good but just want to turn this positive news into distain against the club. No I wasn't around to see the club in the top flight so I'm even more anxious for us to get there but I don't turn every decision or every bit of club news into negative spin.

If you want to do that then there is about 5 different topics running concurrently whinging about the club. To write off a player you've got no idea about just makes you look silly.

41 minutes ago, City oz said:

We are going backwards. Buying a player for this amount of money confirms we are not serious contenders for promotion next season. We need big signings and I’m a bit pissed off that the club thinks we are mushrooms. Well that’s for us old farts on OTIB any way.

Sorry...........you have no idea what u are talking about?  Williams is just the sort of player we need...forget about transfer fees, Williams had a relegation clause in his contract, which meant he could leave for a set fee,  if Wigan were relegated, which they were.  He is 23, and one of the best defensive midfielders in the Championship, stop drinking so much amber pisswater, and do your research?  ?

7 minutes ago, City oz said:

How many of the team you mention were big name signings? We followed the usual pattern of signing people like Hunter and Royle AFTER we went up.

1 minute ago, RedRoss said:

Yeah your right we shouldn't sign anyone because we've failed to make it to the Prem before.. we should accept our fate of mediocrity. 

You previously acknowledged others have said this new signing is good but just want to turn this positive news into distain against the club. No I wasn't around to see the club in the top flight so I'm even more anxious for us to get there but I don't turn every decision or every bit of club news into negative spin.

If you want to do that then there is about 5 different topics running concurrently whinging about the club. To write off a player you've got no idea about just makes you look silly.

I’m not a whining pomm. I want the best for the club. You need to higher your expectations 

8 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

Genuine question Oz, who would you like to see us go out and and attempt to sign? Who fits your bill as realistic 'star' name options that you think we could persuade to the club if we had the money to spend?

If we were a serious club seeking promotion next season we would be looking at a higher caliber.

Dele Alli, Bradley Dack, Tim carney. 

The club has the money after all 

Just now, Matty Taylors a Red said:

I agree with you that our fan base should have higher expectations in general, but honestly this is a top quality signing. 

It is a great signing. But is a signing for the future or just a signing to keep the wolves away from DH should we lose the first  5 on the trot 

2 minutes ago, City oz said:

If we were a serious club seeking promotion next season we would be looking at a higher caliber.

Clearly you have no idea what you're on about. Deli Alli ?

Williams is one of the best players in this division for the position he plays. Wind your neck in.

3 minutes ago, City oz said:

Okay, I thought you were being serious but it's clear you're on a wind-up. 

3 hours ago, WirralRobin said:

Top signing this. I did question whether we needed an additional centre mid with the quality we already had but if we did add I'm really glad it's Joe, a tough tackling, ever improving all round centre mid with over 100 championship games under his belt already. Here's a good video highlighting some of his key attributes.

The highlighted words explain why we did need a new CM. For all their skills, our midfield last season had the physical presence of a gang of Brownies.

Just now, City oz said:

It is a great signing. But is a signing for the future or just a signing to keep the wolves away from DH should we lose the first  5 on the trot 

Surely it's a signing that makes our first 11 better, which makes our chances of pushing for promotion greater. I really don't understand your 'lack of ambition' argument.

With his signing we've strengthened in one of the weakest areas of our starting line up with one of the form players in the division in that position. All for a miserly £2 million pounds. Bargain.

Archived