IGNORED

Joe Williams - Confirmed (Merged)

Red Army 75

2 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Great signing. MA and DH are heroes!!  I guess this means that we have raised some cash by selling one or more players.

Korey’s wages, Bailey Wright’s wages, Matty Taylor’s wages...

OK we still have to pay this player but these plays wages, especially the first two, must have been quite substantial. 

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Have to disagree here oz. IMO he is the exact sort of signing we should be looking at . And I’m surprised we got him if I’m honest I didn’t expect any signings . Just a couple of loans maybe 

Been on our radar since Jan 2019. (See transfer forum) even sweeter because I understand we have upset a certain other manager known & loved by us all.

5 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Holden has spoken about trying to win the ball back quickly so for me I think he'll pick Weimann to press with intensity upfront with Wells supporting. Combination of Morrell and Williams in midfield should see plenty of turnovers. Midfield will be heavily rotated through the season though I expect and a high intensity used.

* I would pick Vyner but think Holden will go Baker

Bentley

Moore              Kalas              Baker*

Hunt                                    Williams                                  Dasilva

Walsh                              Morrell                   

Weimann                Wells

No problems with it all....but I see Paterson being one of Holden’s first choice creative types in that midfield, unless he goes to a “box”!

We now have 8 “midfielders” fighting for 3 spots...9 with Rowe, 10 with O’Dowda.  I don’t think Vyner or Weimann are options unless we get horrible injury problems.
090104DB-F601-4665-A4F9-F9E3090ADB6B.jpeg.17320e192d293e4cb46dc60c1e27e441.jpeg

It’s possible that we could go to a 4, either a 22 or a 31?

As an example.

Williams / Morrell

Szmodics / Paterson

Wells

or

Williams / Nagy

Walsh / Palmer

Wells

All speculative at this point.  But good options, and demonstrates how bringing in one “upgrade” suddenly makes it look far better.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That’s a good way of summing him up.

Heres his data.

A really good compliment to what we have.  The first of the signings.  Also I said I wanted all signings to be “better than we had / have”.  Williams is a bloody good start.  I guess fee will be around £2.0-2.5m.  Wages won’t be astronomical either.  At 23 exactly the type to fit in with a predominately young group.

But most importantly for a lot of you.....

he’s 6’1”. ?

Height is very important if he wants to manage us one day

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

OK we still have to pay this player but these plays wages, especially the first two, must have been quite substantial. 

Are you not going to mention the drop in club income caused by the pandemic?  It is all part and parcel of club finances.  I would expect to see a few departures as well as one or two more recruits, but do not expect to see very much net spend.

2 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Are you not going to mention the drop in club income caused by the pandemic?  It is all part and parcel of club finances.  I would expect to see a few departures as well as one or two more recruits, but do not expect to see very much net spend.

That flies in the case of the covid financial doomer & gloomer projections because the most prudent thing in that instance would be to sell before we buy. We haven't sold anyone yet, even if the club feel it's likely that Eliasson (for example) might leave. 

Holden is a highly controversial appointment and the board need it to work. It's obvious they were going to back him.

9 minutes ago, RedM said:

Worth looking back to when each of these signed their contracts....a good few years ago, and therefore decent at the time, would not have been great in today’s terms.  I reckon on average £10k each / £30k for the lot, divvy it up how you want.  Guesswork on my part.

When players like Kalas are in twice as much???

Just now, Bat Fastard said:

I didn’t think I need to mention it. It’s just about every business that has been affected by the pandemic, and almost all in a negative way. I thought after five months of it that it goes without saying now and people are aware. 

Maybe we are getting ahead of the curve a bit, speculating to accumulate as we can always sell him on at a later date when things improve. I’m afraid he is commodity as much as anything else in the business. 

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No problems with it all....but I see Paterson being one of Holden’s first choice creative types in that midfield, unless he goes to a “box”!

We now have 8 “midfielders” fighting for 3 spots...9 with Rowe, 10 with O’Dowda.  I don’t think Vyner or Weimann are options unless we get horrible injury problems.

As an example.

Williams / Morrell

Szmodics / Paterson

Wells

or

Williams / Nagy

Walsh / Palmer

Wells

All speculative at this point.  But good options, and demonstrates how bringing in one “upgrade” suddenly makes it look far better.

You'd play Szmodics before Weimann?  Wow!

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

The highlighted words explain why we did need a new CM. For all their skills, our midfield last season had the physical presence of a gang of Brownies.

I think you will find that should be a pack of Brownies and our midfield would probably have been better with them playing, Dib, Dib, Dib-Dob Dob Dob! Sorry, that's six of them, so some on the bench.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As an example.

Williams / Morrell

Szmodics / Paterson

Wells

or

Williams / Nagy

Walsh / Palmer

Wells

Yeah I've said before I could see us playing a box with Williams/Morrell and Walsh/Pato. Think it could be used depending if we're likely to come up against a 2 or 3 in the opponents to always maintain an overload.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That flies in the case of the covid financial doomer & gloomer projections because the most prudent thing in that instance would be to sell before we buy. We haven't sold anyone yet, even if the club feel it's likely that Eliasson (for example) might leave. 

Holden is a highly controversial appointment and the board need it to work. It's obvious they were going to back him.

Webster spoke very highly of Holden and the board seem content to back him. I do not regard this as a controversial appointment, maybe it is a visionary, expedient or sensible appointment. We will know in due course. I will judge him on what he does and what he achieves rather than what a particularly negative section of the mob think of him.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Worth looking back to when each of these signed their contracts....a good few years ago, and therefore decent at the time, would not have been great in today’s terms.  I reckon on average £10k each / £30k for the lot, divvy it up how you want.  Guesswork on my part.

When players like Kalas are in twice as much???

No doubt the Kalas wage has the Chelsea factor included in it. I was thinking both Korey and Bailey were club captains at on time or another, would that carry any financial reward? I would think so or it purely an honour thing? 

I would say at least £30k for two wages and Taylor’s on top from what last heard.

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

No doubt the Kalas wage has the Chelsea factor included in it. I was thinking both Korey and Bailey were club captains at on time or another, would that carry any financial reward? I would think so or it purely an honour thing?

Seems to be that these days captain is little more than being responsible for fines money and complimentary tickets if you read various pro player stories.

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

Do you really think Walsh will want to sign a new contract knowing he is going to have to compete with 4 other players for a starting berth and getting  20 starts a season? No logic in having this talent to play them sparingly

Well, to answer a question with a question, how many teams in the Championship would he be able to go to and be guaranteed 40 or more games? I don't think it's that common these days for players to ever present, especially in the midfield roles. 

3 hours ago, WirralRobin said:

Not a big reader of the transfer section of the forum then? He's a player who has been linked to us and recommended by fans for a couple of years now.....

Worth checking out the 'Wigan Athletic players for sale' thread for recent remarks.

Looks like he's getting great feedback. Sounds a positive signing ?

37 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Webster spoke very highly of Holden and the board seem content to back him. I do not regard this as a controversial appointment, maybe it is a visionary, expedient or sensible appointment. We will know in due course. I will judge him on what he does and what he achieves rather than what a particularly negative section of the mob think of him.

It's controversial because the fanbase are split on it and most were strongly against it. Had we signed Hughton, whether he was someone's first choice or not, people would've understood the appointment. I don't think anyone can argue that Holden *isn't* controversial regardless what you personally think. 

It's all elementary now and I'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

Welcome Joe Williams.

That feels a good addition, what we need. Does anyone know how much the fee was?

Good age, room for growth- sell on potential. Together with Walsh at Everton, think our CM options largely complete as it stands.

Could play Walsh as a '1' in front of a midfield two, perhaps behind Wells and Weimann. Williams and depending on form/fitness, one of Massengo Morrell, Nagy. Can also mix and match within same framework. 

Weimann wide right, Paterson wide left, Wells up front in a 3-4-2-1/3-4-3 hybrid could be another. Can Szmodics play wide left or is he central? The CM pair in the 4 would be Walsh and Williams to begin with.

We've all overlooked one major thing here...

He might well have played 100 Championship games already in his career, but evidently if you are under 25 and haven't had at least a season on loan at the League One club, you won't be ready for Championship football in a Bristol City side.

My guess, is that we tell him to cancel Pickfords and get the trinkets out of the Big Yellow Storage room and to stay where he is for 12 months!

#ItsWhatWeDo

?

16 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's controversial because the fanbase are split on it and most were strongly against it. Had we signed Hughton, whether he was someone's first choice or not, people would've understood the appointment. I don't think anyone can argue that Holden *isn't* controversial regardless what you personally think. 

It's all elementary now and I'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

I never had a fixed opinion and was always happy for the board to choose a new manager. As you say, we are all interested to see how it pans out, and I wish DH every success. He is certainly a more stable candidate than a chap pushing 62 who wanted to make permanent changes that would have cost a fortune and changed the whole ethos of the club.

Just now, phantom said:

I would have thought a season out on loan to a league 1 side would be best for Joe this season

Yes of course. This is Bristol City FC............. he is a full Welsh international who should have played in the European Championship this summer.

Total madness in my opinion but this is Bristol City FC in a nut shell.

• Admin
2 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

............. he is a full Welsh international who should have played in the European Championship this summer.

Rovers had a Latvian international........, lets keep this realistic, we are not talking about a top international side, and just had a season on loan at Lincoln City. Lets not get ahead of ourselves too quickly here

53 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I never had a fixed opinion and was always happy for the board to choose a new manager. As you say, we are all interested to see how it pans out, and I wish DH every success. He is certainly a more stable candidate than a chap pushing 62 who wanted to make permanent changes that would have cost a fortune and changed the whole ethos of the club.

This is just a rumour that hasn't been confirmed anywhere though, so hard to use it as evidence for not wanting Hughton with any credibility. 

Archived