IGNORED

Joe Williams - Confirmed (Merged)

Red Army 75

5 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

Burnley probably will sign him in 18 months haha

I think it's a really good signing. If I remember rightly, Korey Smith (a tenacious centre midfielder) was the first player we signed in summer 14' under Cotterill for that 5-3-2. That's a good omen if Holden is going to use that formation.

I think we need another ball playing defender and a right wing back. If Diedhiou leaves then another forward too.

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think it's a really good signing. If I remember rightly, Korey Smith (a tenacious centre midfielder) was the first player we signed in summer 14' under Cotterill for that 5-3-2. That's a good omen if Holden is going to use that formation.

I think we need another ball playing defender and a right wing back. If Diedhiou leaves then another forward too.

Think that is the general consensus....and possibly a forward if Diedhiou goes.

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Feast yer chops on this!

What’s that thing he’s doing where he gets the ball back from the other team? Not seen one of our midfielders do that for a while

joking aside, that bite is what we’ve been missing, a big tackle and coming away with the ball too

22 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly this.. We really need to upgrade on Hunt as the priority. Really think he holds us back.

11 hours ago, Saunders87 said:

Mark Ashton says our first signing of the summer, hopefully this means we ain’t finished yet. 

He actually said that? Does he think we 'customers' missed an earlier one?! Silly sausage.

7 hours ago, SoliCyder said:

My real life name is Joe Williams. This is a happy day.

I bet you don't have the Scouse accent to go with it tho mucker?

13 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

He shone at Lincoln. 

He needs a season at somewhere like Sunderland 

I'm amazed so many lack the insight to see this 

On what basis do you think that.  Why is your opinion so insightful and everyone else’s not.  Pretty arrogant view!

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

On what basis do you think that.  Why is your opinion so insightful and everyone else’s not.  Pretty arrogant view!

Just now, James54De said:

Insight. Jeez, high opinion of yourself have you. How many times do you loan someone out? 

Fair enough, we disagree 

Let us see what happens, and you can all say, told you so

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly this. LJ stated in one of his last interviews, that Morrell and Walsh actually came out as two of the highest performers in league one last season. He said they would fall into the category of players that we would be looking to sign, if they were not ours already. 

Regardless of which team he played for last season. He was considered one of the best performers in the league.

For me his time in League one is done and considered very successful. IMO this season is either with us or sent out on loan to another championship side such as Rotherham, Luton, Barnsley, Reading (possibly if Swift is sold, also lost Ejaria) etc. Would like to see him stay with us however, Think he can be a solid player for us. 

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't know why you think I dislike Nagy? If you say let's try and let X player go I won't accuse you of not liking them. We have to sell, release or loan out players every season.

I'm more excited about Walsh because he was the best midfielder in league one and younger so possibly more growth potential and clearly got fantastic ability.

Morrell because he's also a younger player who was also exceptional in league one. But more importantly he looks far more aggressive than Nagy and can tackle. As well as looking very tidy on the ball.

Massengo has just turned 19 and will probably end up better than all of them.

And now we have Williams who could well be our best midfielder now having been so brilliant at Wigan.

5th on that list for me is Nagy. I thought Korey was better than Nagy. Holden seemed to agree. Holden let's Korey go. Which suggests to me he can't rate Nagy that highly if he didn't even want Korey here who he thinks is better.

I have my reasons which are what I see on the pitch. I've thought all along that 4 is the right number of proper midfielders as we also have more attacking ones in Pato, Palmer, Szmodics and even Weimann who Holden seems to like in midfield.

It's too many. If Nagy stays and plays really well most games and let's say Morrell struggles then I'll be thinking maybe Morrell should be sold or loaned out. Wouldn't mean I don't like Morrell either.

It’s not too many for the reasons already stated. Nagy is the most experienced of a very young group of midfielders and he has done little wrong in an inaugural season on a new league in a new country. 
The reason I think you dislike him is because you seem determined to ignore any of his attributes. 

19 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Fair enough, we disagree 

Let us see what happens, and you can all say, told you so

It would be more helpful if you could let us know why you think the way you do.  You may have good points that we can debate.  That’s what this forum is for.  It’s not about being right or wrong, it’s about discussing it.

50 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

He shone at Lincoln. 

He needs a season at somewhere like Sunderland 

I'm amazed so many lack the insight to see this 

We know Joe can play at league 1 level, he doesn't need to demonstrate it at a club which should be at the top end of the division. If Joe performs well but the team struggles its essentially a season wasted for him as it won't provide us with much we don't know now. We need to know if Joe can make the step up to the championship, whether that's with us or on loan in the division. You think Joe would be happy about taking a loan to league 1 with a place for Euro 2021 on the line for him?

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Very good signing to be fair. Suspect he'll be one of the first names on the teamsheet this season. 

I’m guessing with the rumoured “relegation release clause” setting the fee, that there will be no sell-on percentage?

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Very good signing to be fair. Suspect he'll be one of the first names on the teamsheet this season. 

I felt that to really push on we needed to get a new cm and cd who would be exactly that - the first name on the teamsheet. Agree, think Williams will be just that. Kalas really should be at cd but seems to struggle a bit with injuries. I'd like to see a cd, a rb and maybe another striker as even if Fam stays, only him and Wells who will get 10+ for me.

14 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

We know Joe can play at league 1 level, he doesn't need to demonstrate it at a club which should be at the top end of the division. If Joe performs well but the team struggles its essentially a season wasted for him as it won't provide us with much we don't know now. We need to know if Joe can make the step up to the championship, whether that's with us or on loan in the division. You think Joe would be happy about taking a loan to league 1 with a place for Euro 2021 on the line for him?

Forget Wales, he will be more concerned about his club future, now we've signed Williams (great signing), and with Walsh arguably ahead of JM too, he would be better off with a permanent move to a League 1 side who are favourites to be promoted. That would then be his opportunity of Championship football. It's no good sitting on the bench at City next season, which is looking likely.

The evidence is Johnson, Holden & Tinnion clearly didn't rate him (only 1 Championship appearance) enough to give him that opportunity.

We need a smaller winning squad, less rotation with a consistent 11 - 15 quality players with quality who will run through brick walls. This signing is hopefully a good step forward.    

28 minutes ago, irishreds said:

Forget Wales, he will be more concerned about his club future, now we've signed Williams (great signing), and with Walsh arguably ahead of JM too, he would be better off with a permanent move to a League 1 side who are favourites to be promoted. That would then be his opportunity of Championship football. It's no good sitting on the bench at City next season, which is looking likely.

The evidence is Johnson, Holden & Tinnion clearly didn't rate him (only 1 Championship appearance) enough to give him that opportunity.

We need a smaller winning squad, less rotation with a consistent 11 - 15 quality players with quality who will run through brick walls. This signing is hopefully a good step forward.    

See no reason he'd go to league 1 loan or permanent, I think another team in the championship would be willing to take him and give him game time. If he weren't on loan in league 1 last season and was just a Lincoln player he'd have earned himself a move to the championship. We've seen players move to loans at champ level with less experience and ability shown than Joe.

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

He needs to be playing championship football whether with us or out on loan, he'll have an eye on Euro 2021 and league 1 won't help him. Thought Huddersfield could have been an option with the Cowley's there but obviously not now.

I firmly believe that Joe Morrell is going to be a top player. and that this coming season we'll see him in a lot of games in our midfield.

Archived