IGNORED

Joe Williams - Confirmed (Merged)

Red Army 75

17 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I bet you don't have the Scouse accent to go with it tho mucker?

Indeed no. My time in Newcastle was enough to leave me with northern vowels, but aside from that we have the blandest of generic well spoken middle class accents.

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

After the November international break, there are 15 games in 53 days.  

We also have to consider that any of our players that go on international duty, may have to quarantine on return. Potentially that’s Wells, Diedhou, Kalas, Nagy, Eliasson, Morrell (if Wales are away), and could go deeper into the junior international squads. 

16 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

We also have to consider that any of our players that go on international duty, may have to quarantine on return. Potentially that’s Wells, Diedhou, Kalas, Nagy, Eliasson, Morrell (if Wales are away), and could go deeper into the junior international squads. 

Really good point....and you wonder whether EFL / PL will be talking to FIFA / UEFA regarding this.

41 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

Have Wigan had your pants down, or is the rumoured £2.5M fee wide of the mark ?. 

7 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Is 2.5M pants down money? 23 with 100+ Championship caps?

I think when Barnsley's record fee paid is less than £2m, £2.5m will seem higher to @NIGHTMARE than it does to us. Bristol City have, in the last few seasons alone, paid out fees of £5.3m on Fam, £8m on Kalas, plus around £4m and £3m on at least half a dozen others.

Not to look down at Barnsley, they're a great club and I expect them to surprise people this season, but we are used to paying much higher fees than they.

I saw £2.5m for a young, yet experienced English CM and thought it looked like about par for the course.

10 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

Kieffer Moore £2M

Joe Gelhardt £1M. keeping £25M Jude Bellingham out of his preferred position in England set up.

Antonee Robinson £2M . Nearly went for £8M in January. 

All 3 are better than Williams and Williams as gone for more money than them, you’ve been spanked haven’t you ?. 

Wigan are having a mass fire sale because of the difficulties they are in, so those 3 (as well as Williams) are worth much more than the prices clubs have paid for them. 

Add to that, you’re comparing a combative centre midfielder with a left back, an 18 year old striker and a target man, which makes little sense

Anyone who believes we’ve been ‘spanked’ getting someone of Williams’ quality for as little as a rumoured 2.5 million quid obviously doesn’t have the greatest knowledge of the championship in general, or in fact our squad, and the positions where we need to improve. I think you’ll find every City fan will see this move as a bargain, hardly one where we’ve had our ‘pants down’

8 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

Kieffer Moore £2M

Joe Gelhardt £1M. keeping £25M Jude Bellingham out of his preferred position in England set up.

All 3 are better than Williams and Williams as gone for more money than them, you’ve been spanked haven’t you ?. 

All 3 are better? 

How would you know exactly? Your best player is Dickie Bird.

4 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

Kieffer Moore £2M

Why on earth would a Barnsley fan be interested in who we’re spending money on?

I can’t imagine ever feeling the need to go to a Barnsley forum to take the piss out of them only surviving the championship due to a Wigan point deduction.

Odd.

12 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

Kieffer Moore £2M

You can make very strong arguments for all four of these being absolute bargains. Just because Robinson was half a mill cheaper doesn't mean Williams is not a great deal too. I'd put a little wager on with you that if and when we sell Williams on in a couple of years time he'll go for £5 mill or more (probably to the prem or a very top championship club).

2 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

I’d have Williams and the other 3 all day long, and for 2.5 million you’ve got a bargain, but in the light of the other 3 players fees, you’ve been been ripped off haven’t you ?. 

Not at all, as you say it’s a bargain. Someone of his quality, especially with our history of selling players for inflated fees, could easily go for 8 million quid in a couple of years

23 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

Kieffer Moore £2M

Embarrassed yourself there ?

4 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

Absolutely no doubt I agree with every word, but just think about what I’m asking, looking at the other 3 fees. Have you been ripped off have you paid over the odds. 

Just seen your message above, yeah fair point. I suppose a large chunk of the difference may be simply down to what each player negotiated as a relegation release clause fee in their contracts?

9 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

Absolutely no doubt I agree with every word, but just think about what I’m asking, looking at the other 3 fees. Have you been ripped off have you paid over the odds. 

Different release clauses for different players. 2.5 mil is cheap especially when it’s the type of player you are desperate for. I’d say it’s a bargain

12 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

Nightmare can you not see how you are undermining your own argument?

You agree 2.5 million (reportedly the release fee) is good value but we've been ripped off.

You're saying this on the basis of other players who may or may not be better going for less, I'm under the assumption that the Robinson fee like Joe Williams was a clause in their contract so was predetermined. If multiple teams want to buy such players they come up with the fee in the contract hence why we paid what we supposedly did and other teams paid what they did. 

You seem sour. In the context of football not other players release clauses we've got a good deal. You're lucky Wigan did implode or your team would be in League One pal. 

36 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

I’d have Williams and the other 3 all day long, and for 2.5 million you’ve got a bargain, but in the light of the other 3 players fees, you’ve been been ripped off haven’t you ?. 

I am sure that we can afford it . We are a sensibly run club and don’t sell all our best players every year just to pay our bills . 

2 hours ago, NlGHTMARE said:

Have Wigan had your pants down, or is the rumoured £2.5M fee wide of the mark ?. 

It’s a well known fact that Mark Ashton goes commando when involved in transfer negotiations. 

That way none can have his pants down!

Suspect it’s just a simple case of relegation release fees set at the time of signing for Robinson, Moore and Williams.  All three would go for more than the fees we’ve seen in a normal market without release clauses or Wigan being in administration.

On 20/08/2020 at 10:39, Davefevs said:

Yep gonna have to mix and match those 3 midfield positions.  As others have said in other threads it’s possible we could play Paterson, Szmodics or Palmer off of Wells (especially if Diedhiou goes).

Yep, first Holden signing....and he’s already tried to solve that issue.  No disrespect to Korey, but on paper this is a real upgrade.

Nice to see us beating off rumoured opposition from “bigger” clubs.

Bentley

Taylor, Kalas, Baker

Williams

Morrell, Walsh, Patterson/Elliason, DaSilva

Wells             Diedhiou 

1 minute ago, WECANDO said:

Bentley

Taylor, Kalas, Baker

Williams

Morrell, Walsh, Patterson/Elliason, DaSilva

Wells             Diedhiou 

Morrell as RWB or going without one?