IGNORED

Joe Williams - Confirmed (Merged)

Red Army 75

8 minutes ago, City oz said:

I’m not a whining pomm. I want the best for the club. You need to higher your expectations 

You need a reality check.

5 minutes ago, City oz said:

If we were a serious club seeking promotion next season we would be looking at a higher caliber.

Dele Alli, Bradley Dack, Tim carney. 

The club has the money after all 

OK, yeah. I bet Alli can't wait to leave Spurs where he will have 5x the wages and European football.

2 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Okay non whining pomm who's currently whinging about Joe Williams, who should be have signed? I'm all ears..

Agree joe Williams is a good signing. But is it to stabilize the current squad on a temporary basis or for a future prospect. 

2 minutes ago, City oz said:

It is a great signing. But is a signing for the future or just a signing to keep the wolves away from DH should we lose the first  5 on the trot 

He’s should certainly development for the future but he’s definitely one for the now. Very much ready and an upgrade to the starting XI. 

You could say that any positive signing this summer is to keep the wolves away, but at least with Joe Williams it’s a signing who fits and who we have needed for a while, which indicates that it’s more than what you’re suggesting. 

Just now, RedRoss said:

Just seen your suggestions! haha Dele Ali!!

I'm not going to even bother replying anymore to you. 

You might well be in Australia but that Australia must be on another planet.

Umm please dont except your well earned money on season tickets then will give you prem football next season. I love city born  and bred and have seen the hype on the club purchasing a good player that lasts for two or three days. Then all is forgotten. 

3 minutes ago, City oz said:

Cairney not carney 

Fair enough, not sure how you are planning on prising him away from being one of the first names on the team sheet in the prem for Fulham. Even if you did he'd then take up game time from the likes of Massengo, Walsh etc - The later who would almost certainly leave on a free at the end of the season if not given a good run in the side.

1 minute ago, WirralRobin said:

Fair enough, not sure how you are planning on prising him away from being one of the first names on the team sheet in the prem for Fulham. Even if you did he'd then take up game time from the likes of Massengo, Walsh etc - The later who would almost certainly leave on a free at the end of the season if not given a good run in the side.

Totally agree. Perhaps my expectations are too high then. The club has the money. It’s time for change in a good way 

Just now, City oz said:

Totally agree. Perhaps my expectations are too high then. The club has the money. It’s time for change in a good way 

Oh he’s actually up for sale if you look closer. 

Surprised people think 5 centre midfielders is an optimal number when we only play with 2 of them and a number 10, a position we also have 1 too many players in.

If we go into the season with 5 centre midfielders 1 or 2 of them will be very disappointed by their lack of game time. They are all under 25 and will want to be playing as much as possible, there is not enough space to play all of them when it only 2 can play at a time alongside a number 10, which looks to be how we will set up.

Its all well and good saying they will need to “gift for their place” but there simply will not be that much chance to give them all adequate time to impress in the first place.

It is interesting will see what will happen, any one of Massengo, Morrell, Nagy and Walsh could be out the door on a perm or on loan depending on Holden’s plans and if Walsh signs a new deal. I really hope he does.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That’s a good way of summing him up.

Heres his data.

A really good compliment to what we have.  The first of the signings.  Also I said I wanted all signings to be “better than we had / have”.  Williams is a bloody good start.  I guess fee will be around £2.0-2.5m.  Wages won’t be astronomical either.  At 23 exactly the type to fit in with a predominately young group.

But most importantly for a lot of you.....

he’s 6’1”. ?

Is he a midfield bastard though?

12 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Surprised people think 5 centre midfielders is an optimal number when we only play with 2 of them and a number 10, a position we also have 1 too many players in.

If we go into the season with 5 centre midfielders 1 or 2 of them will be very disappointed by their lack of game time. They are all under 25 and will want to be playing as much as possible, there is not enough space to play all of them when it only 2 can play at a time alongside a number 10, which looks to be how we will set up.

Its all well and good saying they will need to “gift for their place” but there simply will not be that much chance to give them all adequate time to impress in the first place.

It is interesting will see what will happen, any one of Massengo, Morrell, Nagy and Walsh could be out the door on a perm or on loan depending on Holden’s plans and if Walsh signs a new deal. I really hope he does.

Maybe he is not going to play a number 10? Could be three centre mids and two strikers or 3 centre mids a 10 and lone striker.

12 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Like I said in a previous post, it about 16 players on match days, not just starting 11, and as others have said, this season will be so compact we will be playing 2 games a week pretty much every week. We will need all our midfield players in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Maybe he is not going to play a number 10? Could be three centre mids and two strikers or 3 centre mids a 10 and lone striker.

Means we then have 3 number 10s too many.

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Like I said in a previous post, it about 16 players on match days, not just starting 11, and as others have said, this season will be so compact we will be playing 2 games a week pretty much every week. We will need all our midfield players in my opinion.

Even with two games in a week, 1 player misses out on starting lineup if they change both the midfielders between matches. Too many in my opinion and will lead to players discontented with playing time.

5 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Even with two games in a week, 1 player misses out on starting lineup if they change both the midfielders between matches. Too many in my opinion and will lead to players discontented with playing time.

I find this an old fashioned view, players are more content and understand the need for a squad these days. 

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I find this an old fashioned view, players are more content and understand the need for a squad these days. 

Do you really think Walsh will want to sign a new contract knowing he is going to have to compete with 4 other players for a starting berth and getting  20 starts a season? No logic in having this talent to play them sparingly

1 hour ago, City oz said:

If we were a serious club seeking promotion next season we would be looking at a higher caliber.

Dele Alli, Bradley Dack, Tim carney. 

The club has the money after all 

Possibly the funniest post ever.

18 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I thinking this:

Bentley

Moore  Kalas  Baker

Hunt Nagy Williams Walsh Dasilva

Palmer

Wells

1 hour ago, WirralRobin said:

Surely it's a signing that makes our first 11 better, which makes our chances of pushing for promotion greater. I really don't understand your 'lack of ambition' argument.

With his signing we've strengthened in one of the weakest areas of our starting line up with one of the form players in the division in that position. All for a miserly £2 million pounds. Bargain.

That exactly what I wanted, someone better than what we had / have.  Williams is that.  We are stronger as a result.  If we can do that at RWB and CB too, then things will really be looking up.  It might be possible to do that for the money you get from selling either Eliasson or Diedhiou.  At £2.5m max it is a very good start.

1 hour ago, City oz said:

Agree joe Williams is a good signing. But is it to stabilize the current squad on a temporary basis or for a future prospect. 

Neither.....it’s to improve it....immediately.

39 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

Is he a midfield bastard though?

I answered you on twitter.....you know he is!  Tackles a lot, wins a lot (one of best in championship)....but niggly enough time get a lot of cards.

004781D8-BEB8-4EB2-AD14-9D4956BF4CBB.thumb.jpeg.bca447242f15847b6a1dccd026c5ef2a.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

I thinking this:

Bentley

Moore  Kalas  Baker

Palmer

Wells

Would defo be similar to what I expect if we stick with what we have. Midfield would have to chip in with goals though, worried that might be a bit defensive. A 5221 might be something we go with.

19 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

I thinking this:

Bentley

Moore  Kalas  Baker

Palmer

Wells

Holden has spoken about trying to win the ball back quickly so for me I think he'll pick Weimann to press with intensity upfront with Wells supporting. Combination of Morrell and Williams in midfield should see plenty of turnovers. Midfield will be heavily rotated through the season though I expect and a high intensity used.

* I would pick Vyner but think Holden will go Baker

Bentley

Moore              Kalas              Baker*

Hunt                                    Williams                                  Dasilva

Walsh                              Morrell                   

Weimann                Wells

Just now, Lrrr said:

Holden has spoken about trying to win the ball back quickly so for me I think he'll pick Weimann to press with intensity upfront with Wells supporting. Combination of Morrell and Williams in midfield should see plenty of turnovers. Midfield will be heavily rotated through the season though I expect and a high intensity used.

* I would pick Vyner but think Holden will go Baker

Bentley

Moore              Kalas              Baker*

Hunt                                    Williams                                  Dasilva

Walsh                              Morrell                   

Weimann                Wells

I'm liking the look of that team. Ideally I'd want to see a different style to Baker in the defensive three and probably another option at RWB. I think that team has the makings of a very functional yet exciting side. 

Archived