IGNORED

Joe Williams - Confirmed (Merged)

Red Army 75

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

This is just a rumour that hasn't been confirmed anywhere though, so hard to use it as evidence for not wanting Hughton with any credibility. 

Now PF you know full well that the slightest rumour is bread and meat on this forum. The truth has bugger all to do with it.  People have made up plenty about members of the board and the staff - as if they has inside knowledge and knew something. In fact it is all hot air and garbage. Nobody knows what happened in the interviews, but I will assert my claim to the rubbish made up just like the rest on this forum!!

11 minutes ago, phantom said:

Based on what?

I agree I think Morrell will come good and do well for us.

I'm basing this on his previous limited outings for us I've witnessed in the FA cup, his rave reviews from everywhere he has gone especially Lincoln. I used to look at their forum for time to time and they really rate him (I understand it's at a lower standard but he excels in that league) his stats although not always accurate show a very good player, although you've mentioned the standard of Wales he must have something for them to include a League One player in their team, he comes across driven and passionate to succeed from interviews, even though not born here he's lived in Bristol since he' was 3 and considers himself Bristolian and I feel really wants to do well with us. 

Of course I don't know how he will do for sure but based on the above I really think he will do well.

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Bit puzzled about this signing. Thought Joe Morrell was the obvious pick for that role. Very confusing.

Whats confusing ? JM has played ONE game in the Championship, and JW over a hundred. The fact JM gets in the Welsh squad only shows how little depth they have in that position. Without Bale and Ramsey Wales are pants.

• Admin
4 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

I agree I think Morrell will come good and do well for us.

I'm basing this on his previous limited outings for us I've witnessed in the FA cup, his rave reviews from everywhere he has gone especially Lincoln. I used to look at their forum for time to time and they really rate him (I understand it's at a lower standard but he excels in that league) his stats although not always accurate show a very good player, although you've mentioned the standard of Wales he must have something for them to include a League One player in their team, he comes across driven and passionate to succeed from interviews, even though not born here he's lived in Bristol since he' was 3 and considers himself Bristolian and I feel really wants to do well with us. 

Of course I don't know how he will do for sure but based on the above I really think he will do well.

Don't take this personally but I honestly think people are getting far too ahead of things with Joe.

One game in the Championship and a couple of cup outings, when many younger players have looked decent (Hinds for example) isn't enough to say he is ready for first team football with us

Doing it in a below average first division side is a very long way off being ready for our Championship side right now,and see him a long way down the list of midfielders that we have available that makes him very unlikely to play for us this season.

I just think he will need at least one more season learning his trade, and hopefully at a top end league 1 side this time around.

I don't buy into the fact he has played for Wales, they are a truly awful national side at the moment that are really struggling to find any real quality in their side

He definately has potential, but then so have many of our younger players in the past and have got nowhere near our matchday squad on a regular basis

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Don't take this personally but I honestly think people are getting far too ahead of things with Joe.

One game in the Championship and a couple of cup outings, when many younger players have looked decent (Hinds for example) isn't enough to say he is ready for first team football with us

Doing it in a below average first division side is a very long way off being ready for our Championship side right now,and see him a long way down the list of midfielders that we have available that makes him very unlikely to play for us this season.

I just think he will need at least one more season learning his trade, and hopefully at a top end league 1 side this time around.

I don't buy into the fact he has played for Wales, they are a truly awful national side at the moment that are really struggling to find any real quality in their side

He definately has potential, but then so have many of our younger players in the past and have got nowhere near our matchday squad on a regular basis

It's all opinions so I won't take it personally and I get your reserved approach to Morrell

You mentioned Hinds as another example of a player that has promise and hasn't fulfilled it. I would argue that there is a key difference and an example is that Joe Morrell went on loan with Hinds and Taylor Moore to Cheltenham. Gary had to be convinced by Lee to give Joe a chance and he did. Morrell was lucky because Cheltenham's first team CM got injured and unexpectedly Joe came in and performed excellently and kicked the first teamer out of the team for the rest of the season. The contrast to Hinds is he got his opportunity with Cheltenham and did nothing but 5 minutes here and there and fleeting appearances. Morrell ended up with a full season of matches and then another with Lincoln. Freddie hasn't featured for another team since and went back into our 23's.

People are getting ahead of themselbrd.  In all honesty we have no idea if Morrell or Walsh are ready to step up, that is what preseason will determine whether they will be in contention, sold or back out on loan.

From what I have seen I think Walsh is closer than Joe, it is a big step up especially from a team such a Lincoln so let's wait and see, no point just playing them if there not ready and they and the team suffer.

We do need to stop constraining our thoughts by seeing some midfielders as direct replacements for certain players, e.g. Joe for Korey, now Williams or only being able to play one position.  They all have different games, and in several cases a variety of attributes that mean they can perform multiple roles.  That is good news for Holden (and us fans).

The good thing is that bringing in Williams has raised the bar, improved the quality we have in there.  There is gonna be healthy competition in there, something we’ve not really had in the past few years (in some cases because of injury).

Re Morrell, I don’t think a Lg1 loan is in his interests at all, he will be trying to force his way into getting as many minutes as possible.  Walsh will be trying the same.  Neither are proven at this level.  I really rate Joe, and I honestly believe he can play a role in the 1st team this season.  The glimpses we saw v Bolton and Huddersfield in 18/19 has been what he’s done week in, week out at Lincoln....and subsequently on the International Stage, which is no mean feet.  Even Wales had a number of players it would’ve been easy for Giggs to pick over Morrell...but he didn’t.

As for Walsh, he’s had a stellar season at Coventry, and I really hope he performs for us.  My worry is that the creative types generally find it harder stepping up (Freeman)....less space, less time on the ball, harder to get on the ball.  But if he can, he has a nice array of passing.

I think both will have a point to prove, as will Massengo and Nagy.

I suspect we will need them all throughout this season.

1 hour ago, Bat Fastard said:

Now PF you know full well that the slightest rumour is bread and meat on this forum. The truth has bugger all to do with it.  People have made up plenty about members of the board and the staff - as if they has inside knowledge and knew something. In fact it is all hot air and garbage. Nobody knows what happened in the interviews, but I will assert my claim to the rubbish made up just like the rest on this forum!!

I don't generally agree with you, but you have a fair point there.

1 hour ago, Bat Fastard said:

What's your point here exactly? You just used some 'hot air and garbage' to embellish a point you were making about Hughton without having any idea whether it's true or not.

Joe Williams is a good championship player.

Every signing is a gamble but having a 23 YO who's played 100 games in the league you're in and played well makes complete sense.

If Morrell or Walsh show that they're as good if not better, great! Up to them. May the best man/men win.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We do need to stop constraining our thoughts by seeing some midfielders as direct replacements for certain players, e.g. Joe for Korey, now Williams or only being able to play one position.  They all have different games, and in several cases a variety of attributes that mean they can perform multiple roles.  That is good news for Holden (and us fans).

The good thing is that bringing in Williams has raised the bar, improved the quality we have in there.  There is gonna be healthy competition in there, something we’ve not really had in the past few years (in some cases because of injury).

Re Morrell, I don’t think a Lg1 loan is in his interests at all, he will be trying to force his way into getting as many minutes as possible.  Walsh will be trying the same.  Neither are proven at this level.  I really rate Joe, and I honestly believe he can play a role in the 1st team this season.  The glimpses we saw v Bolton and Huddersfield in 18/19 has been what he’s done week in, week out at Lincoln....and subsequently on the International Stage, which is no mean feet.  Even Wales had a number of players it would’ve been easy for Giggs to pick over Morrell...but he didn’t.

As for Walsh, he’s had a stellar season at Coventry, and I really hope he performs for us.  My worry is that the creative types generally find it harder stepping up (Freeman)....less space, less time on the ball, harder to get on the ball.  But if he can, he has a nice array of passing.

Walsh has always struck me as the type of player that suits some games and not others. After his success at Coventry last season I don't really think that he can be expected to do much more to prove himself ready, but I think that he will go missing if the game doesn't suit him, and recognising that will be one of the most telling tests for Holden.

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If playing in the Premier league isn’t stepping up, I’m not sure what is. 

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Surely this signing means one of Massengo, Nagy, Morrell and Walsh won't be here. One loaned out or sold.

I imagine it might be Nagy or Massengo that goes.

Won’t be Massengo he is literally the Poster boy for the club.

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah true. I've always had a feeling Nagy will be the one going. I can't really see us needing all of them. 

You don’t see the need for half a dozen midfield players in a season where playing to games a week, with 3 - 5 subs per game will be the norm? I think we will need a lot of strength in depth.

I think, adding in your clear dislike of Nagy, that this Is just wishful thinking.

3 hours ago, phantom said:

I would have thought a season out on loan to a league 1 side would be best for Joe this season

He needs to be playing championship football whether with us or out on loan, he'll have an eye on Euro 2021 and league 1 won't help him. Thought Huddersfield could have been an option with the Cowley's there but obviously not now.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Feast yer chops on this!

He looks exactly the sort of player our fans will like with those crunching tackles and tracking back. He seems exactly the type of player I was hoping Henriksen would be. 

He seems like the sort of midfielder that Burnley would sign (and I mean that as a compliment!)

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

He looks exactly the sort of player our fans will like with those crunching tackles and tracking back. He seems exactly the type of player I was hoping Henriksen would be. 

He seems like the sort of midfielder that Burnley would sign (and I mean that as a compliment!)

Burnley probably will sign him in 18 months haha

Archived