IGNORED

Man Down

Sir Colby-Tit

I wouldn't normally go in for this sort of thing, but just wanted to pay tribute to a fellow Red, my Dad, who sadly lost his long battle with COPD last week. 

He became very unwell in January 2018, and whilst he was in a coma fighting for his life I contacted the club who sent him a get well card and an incredibly moving video message from Mad Frankie Fielding. I showed him the vid very soon after he came out of the coma, and will never forget the moment. He was absolutely delighted. 

He first took me to AG in December 76, when I was 6 years old, when we played Leeds United. We stood in the enclosure in front of the Williams stand, and although the game was abandoned due to fog, I was well and truly hooked. 

He then used to take me and my two brothers into the East End, with a rickety stool each to stand on. He'd plant us right in the middle behind the goal, in front of a barrier to protect us from the surges. 

He was always one to start the chanting, and often used to nearly split my ear drums belting out "come on you reds". The only time I remember him leaving us alone was when Arsenal tried to take the East End. Well, he wasn't having that and off he went with his steel toe capped boots and donkey jacket to sort it out! 

Some great away days followed when me and my mates would pile in the back of our clapped out Bedford Romany camper, and go off on an adventure. One of those occasions was the notorious Corinthian Casuals game, where once again he stepped up when Millwall made their unwelcome appearance. 

He dearly loved the club, and would always write letters to various managers with his insights. In his mind, I think he was the best manager we never had ?

He was also a great supporter of local youth players. Having not been able to visit him for six months because of covid, I was finally allowed to see him last week and even when I was saying my goodbyes he was asking about Zak Vyner! 

Sorry to bang on, but I just wanted to put it out there as he'd love the attention from fellow Reds! 

In the words of my dearly loved old man

"COME ON YOU REDDDDSSSS!" 

Losing a parent is tough for anyone and you’ve described your dad in a wonderful way and I’m sure we’re all sorry for your loss.

The grieving process is different for everyone. For me it took me months to recover from losing my dad and  these days he’s In my heart but not my life. I cherish the memories I have of him and you’ll be the same.

Archived