IGNORED

Famara

GrahamC

Funny how things can be taken in different ways. Sky were all over Auba's hourglass reporting that it suggested a new contract was on the way soon but I took it that he was saying time is ticking, almost like a warning to Arsenal that they didn't have long left to sort it. Hope Fam isn't saying something similar. Think we could do with him for another year or 2.

I can't understand the love for this guy. Yes he's an honest trier and I expect he's a nice guy, but he's an average centre forward at best, his 1st touch is awfull, you can't really play off him. I appreciate his defensive qualities but that's what we pay two central defenders and a goal keeper to do. Never worth 5.3m, no where near the quality of Reid, Abraham and Kodjia. Only hope for me is that he might score more goals in a team set up to attack, but I doubt it.

7 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I rate Fam highly so it would be great if he stays, but we need to get the best out of him and Wells.

Im sure it can work. But not from long ball and flick on for Wells to run onto. How often does that even work in today's game? Such a 90s thing we don't see work so much nowadays.

We'd have to get more support near Fam and Wells. A better midfield with Williams, and hopefully Walsh and Morrell improving us, we can work the ball into good areas more often. And ball playing centre backs like Moore and hopefully a new one with Kalas. And maybe a bit more pace at the back so we can play a bit higher.

That's assuming Fam stays and it will be him and Wells up top! Was never thinking this might happen. And how about Eliasson!?

I’m probably going to be shot down for this, but........

I too love Fam, BUT - despite his unquestionable effort, plus the shifts he puts in defensively too, he is a very difficult player to build your team around. He scores goals but he’s not prolific. He defends well but he’s not a full-back - and when defending he’s out of position, so he’s not ready to receive if we break. 
Like I said - love the guy - his attitude and work rate is spot on, but I would struggle to justify playing him in a balanced side. He can’t be defending one minute and up front scoring the next. He’s strong but slow. He also didn’t really ‘bond’ with anyone like Afobe did with Palmer.  I wonder if trying to build a team around Fammy was one of the things that we did wrong last season(?)

I’d be sad to see him go and we’d lose a huge popular personality, but it MIGHT free us up to focus on building the side around Wells?

6 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I too love Fam, BUT - despite his unquestionable effort, plus the shifts he puts in defensively too, he is a very difficult player to build your team around. He scores goals but he’s not prolific. He defends well but he’s not a full-back - and when defending he’s out of position, so he’s not ready to receive if we break. 
Like I said - love the guy - his attitude and work rate is spot on, but I would struggle to justify playing him in a balanced side. He can’t be defending one minute and up front scoring the next. He’s strong but slow. He also didn’t really ‘bond’ with anyone like Afobe did with Palmer.  I wonder if trying to build a team around Fammy was one of the things that we did wrong last season(?)

I’d be sad to see him go and we’d lose a huge popular personality, but it MIGHT free us up to focus on building the side around Wells?

That’s kinda my opinion too....assuming that Holden believes there is a better partner for Wells.  Would like to see someone like Bonne alongside Wells.

Personally, I'd let Fam leave but I'm desperate to keep Eliasson.

Although Holden is keen on 352 given our current squad, with right signings we could also play a 433/451 in some games.

Probably unpopular but still can see O'Dowda and Eliasson in a front 3 with quick striker in the middle.  

If we can get Eliasson and O'Dowda away quickly and crossing early (think Coppell and Hill at Man Urd for the oldies) then you don't need a giant up front.  Just someone that make the right runs and quick enough to be on the end of it.

8 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Good well balanced post and a spot on summary of Famara’s strengths. He was used at both ends of the pitch and largely why LJ selected him every time he was available. Two for one..........

No doubt that Wells has more goals in him. He’s a natural finisher whereas Fam can and does miss a few sitters and building a team around one player (unless that player is Messi) is not a good idea imo.

Archived