IGNORED

Famara

GrahamC

On 21/08/2020 at 21:06, wendyredredrobin said:

In the current climate, I hope we can tie him down to a new deal, but that would of course depend on what his demands are.

Did your mind wonder at that point? Is that out of order to say that or are we all gonna be grown up about it and have a giggle?. PC brigade are about no doubt. ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Be great if this happens. Improved immensely last season and I may be in the minority but still think he has a 20 goal season in him.

Season before last he scored 12-13 and missed 20 good chances or something like that. 

Last season had 12 and was in and out of the starting XI a fair amount and in a quite dire attacking side. 

So yea if he can keep his fitness and performance levels to the standard he set last season, I think the game will slow down more for him and he may convert a few more chances. He works his socks off too. Gives his all for the club and that should be a given but isn’t always. So does make me more of a fan. 

His chance to goal conversion rate says he has 20 goals in him easily, the reason he hasnt is because of the boring negative football johnson employed 

12 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Obviously a pay rise but no manager will guarantee minutes. You have to fight for the shirt 

I don`t think getting minutes will be an issue for any player this season given how hectic and condensed it will be. Someone said, @Davefevs I think, that at one point we have 15 games in 53 days. Factor in internationals, cups and the like and it`s going to be mental.

19 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

His chance to goal conversion rate says he has 20 goals in him easily, the reason he hasnt is because of the boring negative football johnson employed 

Yeah hopefully we will be pulling the reins off for quite a few of them... if holden can actually implement a positive game plan to play with some attacking intent, then quite a few might see some benefit from it?!

5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I don`t think getting minutes will be an issue for any player this season given how hectic and condensed it will be. Someone said, @Davefevs I think, that at one point we have 15 games in 53 days. Factor in internationals, cups and the like and it`s going to be mental.

AFCON qualifiers in November and March I believe so Fam will be on his travels for a couple of spells during this season.

Just now, mozo said:

AFCON qualifiers in November and March I believe so Fam will be on his travels for a couple of spells during this season.

As presumably will Nakhi - there`s sure to be some COMNEBOL (or whatever it`s called these days) stuff as well.

Then of course, potential quarantine comes into the picture too.

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Spot on Joe. He's definitely got 20 goals in him if not more. Sometimes I can't quite believe some of the chances that he misses, but I suppose the key thing is that he's getting the chances and gets in the right areas. One season it will all click for him, fingers crossed it's next season of course if he signs.

51 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

@JoeAman08 his stats are solidly 1 in 3 across his while career, including throughout his time with us. He also tends to perform within one goal of his xG. He gets about 40% of his chances on target, and about half of those go in. Overall 13% of his shots are goals. So he's probably going to need to take well over 100 shots in a season to hit 20 goals. So far he's managed 62, 113, and 80 in his three full seasons with us.

That all means that whilst he's probably capable of 20 in a season  he'd need some luck or a few more penalties to get those final 2 or 3 to lift him out of the 'teens and into the 20s. Unless he gets the chance to increase his shots by about a third. If he played all 46 league games plus a few cup then we might see it, personally wouldn't put money on it though.

I love the guy, want him to sign, and think he's a huge asset. But he's some way/luck away from being a 20 goal striker.

Before we get ahead of ourselves, thinking he's staying.

Fammy says "i want to stay". His agents( 1 in england, 1 in France) say he will only stay if you pay x amount to him/ x amount to us.

Ultimately they have probably been touting him everywhere; and if he gets other offers. We either have to match/better that offer to him and his agents or he leaves.... 99 times out of 100, money talks; and footballers walk.

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Agree , but that wasn’t my point. I was answering someone that said fam would want a guarantee of certain minutes to sign a new contract . If any player asked that , he’d be straight out the door if I was manager. ( not suggesting fam has mind) 

25 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

@JoeAman08 his stats are solidly 1 in 3 across his while career, including throughout his time with us. He also tends to perform within one goal of his xG. He gets about 40% of his chances on target, and about half of those go in. Overall 13% of his shots are goals. So he's probably going to need to take well over 100 shots in a season to hit 20 goals. So far he's managed 62, 113, and 80 in his three full seasons with us.

That all means that whilst he's probably capable of 20 in a season  he'd need some luck or a few more penalties to get those final 2 or 3 to lift him out of the 'teens and into the 20s. Unless he gets the chance to increase his shots by about a third. If he played all 46 league games plus a few cup then we might see it, personally wouldn't put money on it though.

I love the guy, want him to sign, and think he's a huge asset. But he's some way/luck away from being a 20 goal striker.

Yes but think we are on the same page here a bit. I think he may get more/better quality if we play a bit more free. I am also backing him being more comfortable in the league than ever.

You said over 100 shots and he had 113 two seasons ago and that was the season he missed a few sitters(remember seeing a 20 missed scoring opportunities). I wonder what his xG numbers looked like in that season alone? 

I don’t think he is a 25-30 goal type player like we see 2-3 every season but I can see him nearer to 20 than he has been for sure. And like you said a bit more luck/composure away from 20. 

3 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Just need to here some positive news on Nic now and I'll be happy. 

I wouldn’t mind Nic staying but if we needed to raise a few quid I think he is best asset that potentially we wouldn’t really miss. 

If he did stay, I’d like to see him be more of a goal threat. 

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Wow. That doesn't sound sustainable. Bound to be more injuries and fatigue with that many games in short order.

This is why we need so many midfielders on the books. Sounds like there will be plenty of opportunity and rotation needed.

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

Spot on Joe. He's definitely got 20 goals in him if not more. Sometimes I can't quite believe some of the chances that he misses, but I suppose the key thing is that he's getting the chances and gets in the right areas. One season it will all click for him, fingers crossed it's next season of course if he signs.

The most he’s scored in a season for City, in 3 seasons,  is 14, so 20 goals seems to be a bit optimistic to me. I think he brings a lot to the team, but he’s not a 20 goal per season player. That doesn’t matter as long as there is a 20 goal per season player with him in the team 

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Chance per goal conversation rate can be misleading as some players are good at getting into good positions and others aren’t. If you’re not, you won’t score as many goals as someone who is. One of Fammy’s problems is his lack of mobility so he’s often a bit slow getting into a good position. Tammy Abraham managed to score 26 goals in a season under Johnson’s negative football. That’s because he’s a natural goal scorer and had the knack of being in the right place at the right time. 

Famara is one of those players for whom  fans can readily identify all the things he can’t/doesn’t do, but perhaps don’t look at what he does do.

Famara is not a natural finisher/goalscorer but more a forward that scores goals - if that makes sense.  His goalscoring record at this level is pretty good, and especially so when you consider our playing style over the last couple of seasons. Wells is the more natural goalscorer and if FD had NW’s instinct for a chance in the box, then he would be a £20m+ player and playing at a higher level.

Perhaps FD does not have a fantastic first touch, but what he does have is tremendous physicality and , as I’ve mentioned before, I wouldn’t mind betting that opposition defenders will hate playing against him because he such an “awkward” player.

He’s also been asked to plough a pretty loan furrow for much of his time here, as LJ played him mostly as a loan striker. For all the things fans might say he can’t, do no one can fault his effort in maintaining this role, as it can be a thankless task, with a lot of running for often little reward.

He is the type of player that you really miss once he’s gone.

4 hours ago, Red Alert said:

? Exactly - the xenophobe was getting themselves about wet about my use of language without knowing my where I’m from. 

Good news to me if this is true.

Wait, what? He was the guy that killed John Hurt in the original Alien film?

The mind boggles.....

49 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Agree , but that wasn’t my point. I was answering someone that said fam would want a guarantee of certain minutes to sign a new contract . If any player asked that , he’d be straight out the door if I was manager. ( not suggesting fam has mind) 

You don't think a player asks if they'll be a regular starter? Holden knows Fam inside out. He knows his game and how hard he will work. Fam has options elsewhere (probably safe to suppose), and Fam (his agent) can ask Holden "what are your plans for me this season? Let's remember that Wells is first choice. He'll have to perform but he's not scrapping for his place in the way that Semenyo is. So Diedhiou doesn't want to be appearing for 20 minute cameos and hoping Wells get injured. Not when another club is telling him he'll be their main man. For example "listen, Fenerbache want me to be the focal point of their attack, I can't stay here to be a squad player". If Holden reassures him that he sees him forging a great partnership with Wells, Fam might be more inclined to stay. Contrast that with the conversation with Marley Watkins - "look Marley, we can't promise you'll get minutes in our system, so you might be best off getting gametime elsewhere and we can all reassess in January". These conversations go on all the time. They happen at sunday league level, they happen at elite level. Do you think Messi worries about his place in the side? Do you think Willian would have moved to Arsenal if he thought he'd be used sparingly? I didn't mean that Fam would have a number of starts that the club would be committed to playing him. Just that he wants to know if he's a main man, or just a one of many.

4 hours ago, maxjak said:

You don't know what youv'e got till it's gone? ................Fam has improved season on season, and is reaching the optimum age for a striker.  He would be very hard to replace, and if he stays it will be a big plus for the coming season.  Always 100% commited and as well as a quality striker he is  invaluable defensively.

Agree. Some people moan about Fam’s first touch, but from what I have seen his worst performances have been when coming back after suspension or injury, i.e. when he is rusty. After he has a run of games his touch improves. Some of his performances last season were excellent; he was the stand out player for us in a number of games and deserved his player of the season award. I hope he stays. There are others we need to move on first. 

39 minutes ago, eardun said:

Agree. Some people moan about Fam’s first touch, but from what I have seen his worst performances have been when coming back after suspension or injury, i.e. when he is rusty. After he has a run of games his touch improves. Some of his performances last season were excellent; he was the stand out player for us in a number of games and deserved his player of the season award. I hope he stays. There are others we need to move on first. 

Agreed he showed some brilliant touches and runs late in the season. Will be well chuffed if he signs.

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

5 hours ago, Red Alert said:

? Exactly - the xenophobe was getting themselves about wet about my use of language without knowing my where I’m from. 

Good news to me if this is true.

If you mean me, I am not at all xenophobic. I just like the English language. There are changes that have been made within American English that are okay with me (okay for example :) ) but I happen to believe that some of the aberrations are just that, aberrations that should be killed  off. :) 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

I wonder what his xG numbers looked like in that season alone? 

Could look it up. Short of it is he generally scores as many as you'd expect an average championship striker talk the shots he takes to score.

Now imo it's gunna be far more hassle and money to sell him and replace him than to give him an extra £5-10k per week. He's not perfect, but he should be in our top 5 earners. So give him it. 

Sound like we are, which is great, maybe he can finally move out of Knowle.

If we can get more than we paid for him I'm not too bothered about losing Fam.  He's a decent player but he's not going to do any better than he has so far, and he's not quite good enough to be the one man up front for a promotion chasing side.  Like his attitude and great defensive work, and happy enough if we keep him but I don't think he'd keep Wells out and I don't think he'd play alongside Wells.  We need another signing in this position.

So we are a promotion chasing side? Doesn’t look that way as things stand. As we are in the position we are in. The best we can hope for is Fam to stay. Please tell me who we are going to get that is any better than him for whatever he may be sold for? That is even if any transfer fee is used to buy any replacement!

53 minutes ago, Nibor said:

If we can get more than we paid for him I'm not too bothered about losing Fam.  He's a decent player but he's not going to do any better than he has so far, and he's not quite good enough to be the one man up front for a promotion chasing side.  Like his attitude and great defensive work, and happy enough if we keep him but I don't think he'd keep Wells out and I don't think he'd play alongside Wells.  We need another signing in this position.

Archived