IGNORED

Famara

GrahamC

Sounds like the ideal scenario for Fam is that a promoted club, let's say West Brom as they're the nearest, make an £8-10m splash on him. 

That way he isn't uprooted, gets a pay raise and potential for regular Premier League gametime. 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Usually yes. Not sure on Norwich goals against 2 seasons ago though. We do need to be harder to score against.

This is where Holden could struggle. He has a mandate to bring attacking football back.

We saw how Cotts' side struggled at the back with an attacking 3-5-2.

I'm expecting us to score more but not to be tight at the back.

Another video - this one an actual football talk show, filmed August 3rd in Senegal. Relevant discussion is about 41:00 to 50:00.

Again my French is pretty poor but had a couple of listens as sounded like they were putting Fam on the spot a lot in this part of the show. The bloke to Fam's left plays in Turkey (led to Fenerbache remarks) the two blokes opposite seem to be analysts, the one in blue keeps baiting on Fam on his future.

The female host seems to challenge Fam on City being average and happy with our lot which he defends saying we're ambitious but we've missed the "finishing touch" each time to get to promotion. He also talks about his progress over the three years, the pandemic, and about the coach being fired.

In one bit the bloke in blue, who keeps saying Fam should profit from his transfer opportunities, says Fam should wait to next January to get a big signing on bonus, to which Fam says he's never been about money and has always completed full seasons at each of his clubs in all 8 years of his career.

However, Fam also says he hasn't yet seen a proposal but will take advantage of the "game of movement" (I assume, use transfer speculation to his advantage). 

The other analyst, who seems thoughtful and more embarrassed by the baiting of Fam explains to the host the considerations that go into a player faced with transfer options, for example whether they are compatible with the style of play of a top club, and if not staying at an average club can be better.

I really only pick up the odd phrase or word so I may have got some of this wrong, but the gist of it seemed to be assuming it was time for Fam to move on.

Happy for someone with better French to put us right on this!

1 hour ago, mozo said:

This is where Holden could struggle. He has a mandate to bring attacking football back.

Agreed about the point with Cotts' side.

This is where he will need to make sure we have the right balance in midfield, and ensure we have the right players there who will/can drop back and/or sit in front of the back 3. I don't know enough about Williams to say that he is the solution for that, but from what others have said it could be the position he will play.

I doubt it would happen because of how he left, and whether Leeds would be looking to sell, but I'd be tempted to try and bring Ayling back. He's certainly not struggled in this league since leaving, and he's played in the system for us before. Also an improvement on Hunt, who I'd be happy to keep in reserve.

A combination of Ayling/Hunt on the right, and Dasilva and Rowe on the left wouldn't be bad options to have.

On the subject of Rowe, a lot of people seem to have forgotten about him.....

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Thought I’d pick two games, against decent opposition to highlight some differences in LJ’s approach to DH....Forest (A) and Preston (H).  I thought against Forest we generally passed it well, and broke the forward press from Grabban easily, but we didn’t break the midfield lines.  Preston was a mixed game but we actually made more passes than against Forest.

I’ve added player initials to the starters. Red arrow (subbed off). Blue arrow (subbed on).  The boobs represent the average position the player took in receipt of the ball.

63CE7329-72CC-4C78-A95C-8C2A6AB5D6A1.thumb.jpeg.7038853f3308ce92da5d1cab6471a98e.jpeg
For the Forest game above, the shape looks ok to the naked eye, but we see Wells being much deeper than his partner Afobe, and we see Korey and Nagy being very deep, sitting between the CBs.  Two glaring things for me:

1. The lack of bodies in the red box where we can threaten (caused by Nagy and Smith coming so deep.

2. The distances front to back - 45 yards.  I once heard Garry Birtles say 35 yards is optimal, and LJ said similar.

E7D548FA-B71B-48C1-BC39-BAD817233AD2.thumb.jpeg.c2bc7393a71c53e4697445b7257cb528.jpeg

For the Preston game, look at how much more condensed we are as a team.

1. Distances now 35 yards (optimal)

2. Players in the blue box (4)

3. Wells and Diedhiou playing closer together, with Wells the one furthest forward for his proactive runs

4. The average positions of Pato and Weimann show that although looking central, because it’s average position, shows they’ve floated around a lot.

5. I’d probably prefer Nagy to do a little less shuttling between the back 3, but part of that was because Kalas started LCB, and it wasn’t until Benkovic came on that Nagy had to do less give and go with the back 3.

So ultimately I think the 352 helps us condense the play, making us more solid, but also able to pass through the lines in advanced positions.

That bodes well if pre-season can drill those patterns.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Another video - this one an actual football talk show, filmed August 3rd in Senegal. Relevant discussion is about 41:00 to 50:00.

Again my French is pretty poor but had a couple of listens as sounded like they were putting Fam on the spot a lot in this part of the show. The bloke to Fam's left plays in Turkey (led to Fenerbache remarks) the two blokes opposite seem to be analysts, the one in blue keeps baiting on Fam on his future.

The female host seems to challenge Fam on City being average and happy with our lot which he defends saying we're ambitious but we've missed the "finishing touch" each time to get to promotion. He also talks about his progress over the three years, the pandemic, and about the coach being fired.

In one bit the bloke in blue, who keeps saying Fam should profit from his transfer opportunities, says Fam should wait to next January to get a big signing on bonus, to which Fam says he's never been about money and has always completed full seasons at each of his clubs in all 8 years of his career.

However, Fam also says he hasn't yet seen a proposal but will take advantage of the "game of movement" (I assume, use transfer speculation to his advantage). 

The other analyst, who seems thoughtful and more embarrassed by the baiting of Fam explains to the host the considerations that go into a player faced with transfer options, for example whether they are compatible with the style of play of a top club, and if not staying at an average club can be better.

I really only pick up the odd phrase or word so I may have got some of this wrong, but the gist of it seemed to be assuming it was time for Fam to move on.

Where the hell did you find this Rob?!!

Just asked my daughter to take a look as she’s In her last year of studying French at university. 

She said the female presenter was trying to wind Fam up by saying he could be doing better than being at city and as you said one of the blokes was also suggesting the same thing. They were talking about the fact that at championship level Fam could expect to play more minutes even though the wages might be less than moving to a higher profile club. Fam agreed with this and said that city is an ambitious club but have just missed out in the last couple of years. 

Generally Fam came across as being happy at city and he was certainly defending us against some of the questioning. It seemed like the presenter and the guest in the blue shirt thought everything was about money and playing for the biggest names club not necessarily about being happy where you are which Fam seems to be. 

Will see if I can get her to watch the other video (but I might need to up her monthly university payments).

Seems to me that your analysis of the video is as accurate as your match reports! 

13 hours ago, Olé said:

How's your French? This was published a couple of days ago (although must have been recorded a few weeks ago as I guess it's in Sengal).

Talks about his time at Bristol City from 3:05 and progress over his three seasons. Seems to be something about failing in objective for this season, and I think at 5:10 he is talking about not being picked by the coach at the start of the season and winning back his place in the team by giving 100 200 300% for the team.

More interesting at 7:40 I think he's saying something along the lines about lots of people in Senegal expect him to be at a bigger club, and she then asks him about his four year contract and he says there are lots of rumours but he wants to stay in England where he is very settled, but his objective is the Premier League.

She asks about Fenerbache at 9:15. I think he says it is up to the club to accept an offer, and she then asks him what he wants, and he says he wants to stay in England. His comments from 10:00 sound like a very impassioned defence of he and his family being happy from 3 good years in England and wanting to stay put...

But my French isn't very good so maybe others can summarise better!

That’s a pretty good translation.

The points I took from it were;

He wants to stay in England and play for a better known club in the Prem.( I don’t think that’s going to happen for him unless we go up ! ) 

He says there has  been tentative interest from other clubs. 

He is happy to have adapted to the English game .

The interviewer implied that with his talent he should have scored more goals . 

On listening to this I think he will sign a new contract.

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thought I’d pick two games, against decent opposition to highlight some differences in LJ’s approach to DH....Forest (A) and Preston (H).  I thought against Forest we generally passed it well, and broke the forward press from Grabban easily, but we didn’t break the midfield lines.  Preston was a mixed game but we actually made more passes than against Forest.

I’ve added player initials to the starters. Red arrow (subbed off). Blue arrow (subbed on).  The boobs represent the average position the player took in receipt of the ball.

63CE7329-72CC-4C78-A95C-8C2A6AB5D6A1.thumb.jpeg.7038853f3308ce92da5d1cab6471a98e.jpeg
For the Forest game above, the shape looks ok to the naked eye, but we see Wells being much deeper than his partner Afobe, and we see Korey and Nagy being very deep, sitting between the CBs.  Two glaring things for me:

1. The lack of bodies in the red box where we can threaten (caused by Nagy and Smith coming so deep.

2. The distances front to back - 45 yards.  I once heard Garry Birtles say 35 yards is optimal, and LJ said similar.

E7D548FA-B71B-48C1-BC39-BAD817233AD2.thumb.jpeg.c2bc7393a71c53e4697445b7257cb528.jpeg

For the Preston game, look at how much more condensed we are as a team.

1. Distances now 35 yards (optimal)

2. Players in the blue box (4)

3. Wells and Diedhiou playing closer together, with Wells the one furthest forward for his proactive runs

4. The average positions of Pato and Weimann show that although looking central, because it’s average position, shows they’ve floated around a lot.

5. I’d probably prefer Nagy to do a little less shuttling between the back 3, but part of that was because Kalas started LCB, and it wasn’t until Benkovic came on that Nagy had to do less give and go with the back 3.

So ultimately I think the 352 helps us condense the play, making us more solid, but also able to pass through the lines in advanced positions.

That bodes well if pre-season can drill those patterns.

I reckon the middle of the park is where we can win battles, crowd out the oppos and get plenty of early balls into our forwards. 

What I worry about is defending wide areas, particularly counter attacks. The wide centre backs could have a lot on their plate and with Baker not being so mobile and Moore and Vyner both being relatively new to this level (and I presume the system), I think there's a potential vulnerability, especially when wing-backs are encouraged to get forward.

If we have Hunt as a wing back and Vyner as right centre back, as opposition coach I'd want my quickest player to get in behind Hunt as much as possible. He's not rapid like JD and you'd want to target the less experienced central defender.

Sheffield United play 3 at the back, plus use their centre backs when going forward, similar to what we did with Cotterill, but still have a great defensive record. It doesn’t have to be worse defensively if you set up the rest of the team properly and have mobile central defenders, who are willing to defend out wide when needed. 

1 hour ago, mozo said:

I reckon the middle of the park is where we can win battles, crowd out the oppos and get plenty of early balls into our forwards. 

What I worry about is defending wide areas, particularly counter attacks. The wide centre backs could have a lot on their plate and with Baker not being so mobile and Moore and Vyner both being relatively new to this level (and I presume the system), I think there's a potential vulnerability, especially when wing-backs are encouraged to get forward.

If we have Hunt as a wing back and Vyner as right centre back, as opposition coach I'd want my quickest player to get in behind Hunt as much as possible. He's not rapid like JD and you'd want to target the less experienced central defender.

That is the general weakness of the WB/CB3 system.  But a well drilled, intelligent team will shift their positions in relation to where the ball is.

I refer back to Derby (a) last season.

Heres a screenshot from the game.  Palmer had just failed to pinch the ball on the halfway line, but got back in quickly as Derby tried to transition.  It was a good example of Palmer’s hardworking and disciplined 60 minutes before he was subbed.7065D3C3-BA07-42C4-A88E-33036818AD67.thumb.jpeg.f3fe4233d2c5dc3fd0b43882a315978b.jpeg

We see our back 5 (Hunt, Moore, Kalas, Baker, Rowe) in pretty decent shape (blue curve).  As the attack develops, Kalas can engage the Derby runner (4 circled) if need be, and Moore and Hunt can filter centrally (dotted red arrows).  Moore becomes the spare man.

We also see Rowe touch tight (hiding Derby 2 circled - zoom in to see Josefzoon I think), Palmer in touch with Derby 3.  Brownhill wrong side, but can pass him on to Kalas, because Moore is spare.

Red Triangle 1 - Rowe, Palmer, Massengo, nice and condensed, with Massengo blocking the passing lane  to Derby 1.

Red Triangle 2 - Palmer, Massengo, Brownhill in close proximity to each other.

Bearing in mind this was Derby transitioning it shows great shape, plus how with the ball on Derby right wing, how the tram had all shuffled to that side of the pitch.

Earlier in that transition, in say Derby’s Right Back position, as long as Baker is sensible placed left of centre, say between edge of 18 yard box line and left touchline, it’s gonna take a helluva pass to expose him.  If Kalas is in touch with him providing pacy cover, Baker can go either as tight as possible, or even mark him on the outside.

Its only if Baker is lazy with his positioning, or doesn’t feel Kalas is supporting him, that it opens us up.  Baker isn’t slow over longer distances, but can be caught on the turn.  Nor is Moore on the other side.

I’m hoping this is what Holden is drilling.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That is the general weakness of the WB/CB3 system.  But a well drilled, intelligent team will shift their positions in relation to where the ball is.

Heres a screenshot from the game.  Palmer had just failed to pinch the ball on the halfway line, but got back in quickly as Derby tried to transition.  It was a good example of Palmer’s hardworking and disciplined 60 minutes before he was subbed.7065D3C3-BA07-42C4-A88E-33036818AD67.thumb.jpeg.f3fe4233d2c5dc3fd0b43882a315978b.jpeg

We see our back 5 (Hunt, Moore, Kalas, Baker, Rowe) in pretty decent shape (blue curve).  As the attack develops, Kalas can engage the Derby runner (4 circled) if need be, and Moore and Hunt can filter centrally (dotted red arrows).  Moore becomes the spare man.

We also see Rowe touch tight (hiding Derby 2 circled - zoom in to see Josefzoon I think), Palmer in touch with Derby 3.  Brownhill wrong side, but can pass him on to Kalas, because Moore is spare.

Red Triangle 1 - Rowe, Palmer, Massengo, nice and condensed, with Massengo blocking the passing lane  to Derby 1.

Bearing in mind this was Derby transitioning it shows great shape, plus how with the ball on Derby right wing, how the tram had all shuffled to that side of the pitch.

Earlier in that transition, in say Derby’s Right Back position, as long as Baker is sensible placed left of centre, say between edge of 18 yard box line and left touchline, it’s gonna take a helluva pass to expose him.  If Kalas is in touch with him providing pacy cover, Baker can go either as tight as possible, or even mark him on the outside.

Its only if Baker is lazy with his positioning, or doesn’t feel Kalas is supporting him, that it opens us up.  Baker isn’t slow over longer distances, but can be caught on the turn.  Nor is Moore on the other side.

I much prefer the Conte approach to play 3 and the back. Have the ball player in the centre, allowing him to join midfield and then have the remaining to the close together leaving less gaps.  

6 hours ago, mozo said:

When were we tight at the back? Our defence is shocking!

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thanks Fevs, I do appreciate these in depth responses and that's a very good point.

My pushback in that example is it was exactly the type of game that I'm not talking about.

So, Derby away (and home!), were classic away wins. We conceded lots of possession, had to defend a lot of crosses and through balls, often quite deep.

I'd imagine XG was quite low for both teams?

The Derby games were Johnsonball, no? Soak up pressure but clinical finishing wins the game.

Holden's version, according to the man himself, will be more about us stamping our authority on games, enjoying possession but also getting forward quickly. 

So you're absolutely right that they'll have to be very well drilled on transitions, but I'd caveat that those transitions can be much more frequent and give us a completely different defensive experience across 90 minutes. 

We keep hearing about Bayern's risk and reward philosophy. With the defensive unit and attacking threat that they have it can be devastating. For other teams it would be tactical suicide. 

You need the right players for the tactics, and on that basis I expect a fast right-back to be a priority. 

Ramble over!

31 minutes ago, mozo said:

Thanks Fevs, I do appreciate these in depth responses and that's a very good point.

My pushback in that example is it was exactly the type of game that I'm not talking about.

So, Derby away (and home!), were classic away wins. We conceded lots of possession, had to defend a lot of crosses and through balls, often quite deep.

I'd imagine XG was quite low for both teams?

The Derby games were Johnsonball, no? Soak up pressure but clinical finishing wins the game.

Holden's version, according to the man himself, will be more about us stamping our authority on games, enjoying possession but also getting forward quickly. 

So you're absolutely right that they'll have to be very well drilled on transitions, but I'd caveat that those transitions can be much more frequent and give us a completely different defensive experience across 90 minutes. 

We keep hearing about Bayern's risk and reward philosophy. With the defensive unit and attacking threat that they have it can be devastating. For other teams it would be tactical suicide. 

You need the right players for the tactics, and on that basis I expect a fast right-back to be a priority. 

Ramble over!

I don’t think it was Johnson-ball....I think it turned into that last second half.  First half especially was trying to play on the front foot, picking up Palmer in space as soon as we won it, who’d then spring Afobe or Weimann.

Derby matched us up at h-t, and we didn’t deal with it well.  An example of Johnson (imho) not spotting and / or reacting to changes by other teams....this wasn’t even subtle.

I‘m not sure I understand the bit in bold, sorry.

19 hours ago, Olé said:

How's your French? This was published a couple of days ago (although must have been recorded a few weeks ago as I guess it's in Sengal).

Talks about his time at Bristol City from 3:05 and progress over his three seasons. Seems to be something about failing in objective for this season, and I think at 5:10 he is talking about not being picked by the coach at the start of the season and winning back his place in the team by giving 100 200 300% for the team.

More interesting at 7:40 I think he's saying something along the lines about lots of people in Senegal expect him to be at a bigger club, and she then asks him about his four year contract and he says there are lots of rumours but he wants to stay in England where he is very settled, but his objective is the Premier League.

She asks about Fenerbache at 9:15. I think he says it is up to the club to accept an offer, and she then asks him what he wants, and he says he wants to stay in England. His comments from 10:00 sound like a very impassioned defence of he and his family being happy from 3 good years in England and wanting to stay put...

He says your Mother was a Hamster and your Father smells of elderberries. He then goes on to add that he would like to fart in your general direction. 

That is how I translate it but would be interested to see what the Major says.

2 hours ago, megansdad said:

I'm hoping Moore is a regular starter. Thought he had had a great season before going out on loan as he was comfortable on the ball and able to come out of defence with it confidently.

That was always my thoughts. He could play the ball out rather than just hoof it upfield

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think it was Johnson-ball....I think it turned into that last second half.  First half especially was trying to play on the front foot, picking up Palmer in space as soon as we won it, who’d then spring Afobe or Weimann.

Derby matched us up at h-t, and we didn’t deal with it well.  An example of Johnson (imho) not spotting and / or reacting to changes by other teams....this wasn’t even subtle.

I‘m not sure I understand the bit in bold, sorry.

Okay, I was going off my distant memory of the game and the stats, but neither of those things tell the full story tbf!

I was trying to make a simple point that I can't seem to put into words!! 

Massive over-simplification:

Defensive football (sitting and soaking) = few counter attacks faced.

Expansive football (high line, front foot) = more counter attacks faced. 

So defenders suited to an LJ 3-5-2, might not suit a Cotts 3-5-2.

As it happens, neither of those managers perfected the system. Can Holden with these players? The big question. 

5 minutes ago, BigTone said:

He says your Mother was a Hamster and your Father smells of elderberries. He then goes on to add that he would like to fart in your general direction. 

Tone, you are the son of a motherless goat...

6 hours ago, Olé said:

Wow - those accents are REALLY hard to understand. I got a couple of other things:

Firstly Fam was defending the quality of the championship. He was insisting that it's a really high quality league and he talked about it as being similar to Ligue Un. There are loads of really good and big clubs. It's top quality.

He clearly sincerely believes that Bristol City is ambitious and have only just fallen short.

He was challenged about not being first choice striker at the start of the season. He spoke to the manager who assured him that he hadn't lost confidence in him and then things started to go better. 

18 minutes ago, mozo said:

Okay, I was going off my distant memory of the game and the stats, but neither of those things tell the full story tbf!

I was trying to make a simple point that I can't seem to put into words!! 

Massive over-simplification:

Defensive football (sitting and soaking) = few counter attacks faced.

Expansive football (high line, front foot) = more counter attacks faced. 

So defenders suited to an LJ 3-5-2, might not suit a Cotts 3-5-2.

As it happens, neither of those managers perfected the system. Can Holden with these players? The big question. 

Cool, got you. Ta

I guess my view of the 5212 we played during the early part of last season is that it wasn’t defensive per se....but very different to Cotts version though, especially the 14/15 season, where Little played so high with and without the ball.  As expansive as Ayling was, it was partly because Litts creative a vast space for him to maraud into.  On the other side it was more conventional with Williams and Bryan passing their way up the pitch.

We became more counter attacking when we ditched the 5212, perhaps even when it became a 532 (w/o Palmer), but I’m thinking more when we went to a back 4.

I certainly don’t see our RCB and LCB playing like Ayling did!  I think Taylor Moore will attack more in the vain of Benkovic....comfortable on the ball, pass with tempo, whilst capable of carrying the ball into spaces....but not like a Ayling Tornado!!!

I think under Holden it’s ok him saying “attacking football”, but that can manifest in many ways.  If we can pinch the ball high up, then great.  If we play a high line, then it is vital we press the passer.  We saw how decent(ish) midfielders, e.g. Clayton (Boro - home) can look like Hoddle if you given them time to spring someone like Assombalonga against a high line.  I also think you can sometimes replace “attacking” with “exciting”....and that’s perhaps a more manageable expectation.

I think we all just want some Holden-ball to watch...as we are all speculating, myself included. ?

23 hours ago, Olé said:

Persuaded my French speaking daughter to look at this and she picked up the following:

He is living his dream to play in England and is grateful to city for giving him the opportunity. He really enjoyed last season and felt LJ trusted him but accepts that the team had difficulties after the restart of the season. He really likes living in England with his family and it is his aim to stay but it is important to take time to make the right decision. He talks to the other Senegalese players based in England a lot and they support each other and give each other advice. He has appreciated all the support he has had to help him get where he has and feels that he can continue to improve.

Assuming she has not made all of this up (!!) it sounds promising that Fam will be happy to stay which in my opinion would be a great thing!

5 hours ago, BigTone said:

I'm sure he goes on to mention waving his private parts in your general direction, somewhere in that interview.

Archived