IGNORED

Cheltenham Town Friendly

GrahamC

11 minutes ago, redpole said:

So who’s left for game 2???

O’Leary, Wollacott, Moore, Rowe, Palmer,O’Dowda, Szmodics, Nagy, Walsh, Semenyo, Paterson, maybe Fam, Watkins, Adelakun maybe Joe Williams, Hinds, Morrell plus the U23s.

Don’t anyone say we have a small squad..

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

O’Leary, Wollacott, Moore, Rowe, Palmer,O’Dowda, Szmodics, Nagy, Walsh, Semenyo, Paterson, maybe Fam, Watkins, Adelakun maybe Joe Williams, Hinds, Morrell plus the U23s.

Don’t anyone say we have a small squad..

Wow! Plus he said there will be u23 players involved. So I take it that it’s a game against ourselves??

45 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

523 Weimann and Eliasson out wide-ish. I reckon. 

41 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

3-4-3 I would suggest

That’s the impression I got, formation Chelsea used when winning the league under Conte a few seasons ago. The wingers wouldn’t be wingers as such but more inside forwards playing off the one up front.

44 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I wonder whether we might experiment with Bakinson as a RWB at some point in this game. He's got the core attributes being a defensively minded midfielder - however he also has the engine for a role like that. 

No idea whether he's got the attacking attributes for a role like that, but could be an interesting experiment. 

Bakinson just in front of the Back 3 apparently. 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good image of shape.  Looks 352, Bakinson the central one with Eliasson and Massengo either side.

CBC65C24-F078-4031-94EF-DE6F1EAFB9A3.jpeg

Always possible of course that Bakinson has been picked to replicate the role we expect Williams to do, so giving the back 3 a chance to start to get used to it..

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Always possible of course that Bakinson has been picked to replicate the role we expect Williams to do, so giving the back 3 a chance to start to get used to it..

Yes, really would like to see it being a case of:

• this is the system 
  • these are the roles in that system
  • now go and get used to them and understand if you’re picked in that role / position you know what’s expected.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

• this is the system 
  • now go and get used to them and understand if you’re picked in that role / position you know what’s expected.

Because that's an identity.

It's interesting how Eliasson is being used here.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

• this is the system 

Makes it easier to slot players in. It will be interesting to see what other things they might experiment with later in the game.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

• this is the system 

I agree. If you want the type of team where your players feel confident taking more risks with the knowledge someone will temporarily cover them the players need a settled formation so they can have a reasonable understanding of the positions around them, in addition to their own. With different positional responsibility around them every other game they'll feel less confident covering for each other, and then by extension be less likely to take risks themselves or show some flair.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good image of shape.  Looks 352, Bakinson the central one with Eliasson and Massengo either side.

CBC65C24-F078-4031-94EF-DE6F1EAFB9A3.jpeg

Don't think I've ever seen 3 at the back with a diamond?! Looks like a 3-1-2-2-1-1 in that pic!

3 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Bit surprised that Walsh isn't starting unless he is carrying a knock. 

I wouldn't worry at all regarding the starting line ups at this stage with three weeks to go.

Interesting it looks like a pretty much full strength side defence and attack wise (if Fam is still isolating) but I'd be very surprised if any of the midfield 3 were starting in those positions come the start of the season (with potential exception of Eliasson if he can convert very quickly).

I'm wondering if the second intra-squad game today will be used to really test out our midfield 3's with Williams, Nagy, Walsh, Morrell, Paterson and Palmer all matching up on either side in a real battle for future selection?

Archived