IGNORED

Marley Watkins to Aberdeen

luke_bristol

2 hours ago, cider hoss rules said:

No doubt he'll rip it up in Scotland, good luck to the lad.

One thing you can't fault him on was his effort and willingness.

Hehehhhe... Yeah to sit on that bench and keep it bloody warm.

2 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Gutted 

You lot are too much. !!!

never got this signing didnt really settle had some tough off field issues that effected him

Nice bloke but didn't think we needed him when signed and dont think he will be missed other then his character,

Hope it works out for him in the spl

Not the worst player, never top end Championship. 

We still under utilised him though, could've been useful a dozen times last season.

That says more about our recruitment than his talent though. 

Aberdeen fans aren't happy http://www.afc-chat.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/45459-marley-watkins/

Not fans of McIness either 

"

Centre backs or wingers at full back. 

Central midfielders at centre back. 

Full backs or centre backs in central midfield. 

Central midfielders or wingers up front. 

It's the Mcinnes way."

5 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Not the worst player, never top end Championship. 

We still under utilised him though, could've been useful a dozen times last season.

That says more about our recruitment than his talent though. 

Aberdeen fans aren't happy http://www.afc-chat.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/45459-marley-watkins/

Brutal

He came into the side when we had a few injuries, I thought he did a great job for us. Always seemed to have a great attitude, and his winning goal against Sheffield United was a highlight. 

I hope he has a great loan spell at Aberdeen, be a good move for him. All the best Marley.

He came into the side when we had a few injuries, I thought he did a great job for us. Always seemed to have a great attitude, and his winning goal against Sheffield United was a highlight. 

I hope he has a great loan spell at Aberdeen, be a good move for him. All the best Marley.

2 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Yeah football fans. If he scores the winner tomorrow against Livingstone, be worth another look at their forum.

Livingstone? Well, he may greeted as “Dr ... I presume?” - although one of Livingstone’s famous quotes is quite relevant here: “I am prepared to go anywhere, provided it be forward...” - best of luck Marley ...

A lot of love for an expensive flop. 

Failed to produce, clearly didn't do enough in training to even force himself into a weak Lee Johnson side.

We seem to applaud effort, however ineffectual, rather than actual talent and contribution. Former players like Luke Freeman and JET get battered on here and you lots applaud this waster Watkins. **** off. 

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

An enthusiastic, hardworking player with absolutely shite control and no idea what he's doing.  One of the worst signings we've made value for money wise.

72.9% passing accuracy- at Barnsley- says otherwise. Not stellar but not bad- key passes, average passes and pass completion respectively- all per game.

2016/2017 Barnsley     EC 34(8) 3159 7 1.4 22.1 72.9 0.3 0.1 -

21 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

A lot of love for an expensive flop. 

Failed to produce, clearly didn't do enough in training to even force himself into a weak Lee Johnson side.

We seem to applaud effort, however ineffectual, rather than actual talent and contribution. Former players like Luke Freeman and JET get battered on here and you lots applaud this waster Watkins. **** off. 

2016/2017

Barnsley     EC 34(8) 3159 10 7 8 1 1.6 72.9 1.7 - 6.85

At Championship level, 2016/17.

10 goals, 7 assists in 34 starts with 8 sub. How crap eh. :whistle2:

He never produced with us or Norwich though- some of his technical stats were not bad either, at Barnsley 3-4 years ago at this same level.

He appears to have gone to shite since leaving Barnsley though- certainly well below those levels but injuries after an okay first couple of months here- 2 goals and nearly a 3rd by late September 2018- could've been a useful squad player.

Average rating of 6.85- while not stellar- not bad either. Sub appearances can tend to bring it down.

This is all at Barnsley btw, not subsequent to his departure in 2017.

JET was the division below, so I wonder if it's the best comparison- though maybe he could have been a useful squad option to retain in first half of 2015/16 certainly given how thin our squad was, Freeman likely- like so many- was played out of position often, not in a way that best suited him perhaps.

Wonder what JET's Championship stats are like though.

According to Wikipedia, he has 19 goals in 135 games- doesn't break it down by starts/sub! Assists and start/sub ratio might be out there somewhere.

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Livingstone? Well, he may greeted as “Dr ... I presume?” - although one of Livingstone’s famous quotes is quite relevant here: “I am prepared to go anywhere, provided it be forward...” - best of luck Marley ...

Nah, that’s Sherlock Holmes mate you’re thinking of, Watson not Watkins ?

19 hours ago, Matthew me said:

Good business all round... He will play, learn and hopefully come back a better player, or increase in value.

His net worth sat in the stands at AG is nothing 

Good call DH

His loan will be so we're not paying a chunk of his wages in the last year of his contract, if we'd had someone willing to buy I imagine we'd have sold even if a free transfer.

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

72.9% passing accuracy- at Barnsley- says otherwise. Not stellar but not bad- key passes, average passes and pass completion respectively- all per game.

I said shite control, you're talking about passes completed? 

And I'm uninterested in what he did for Barnsley anyway, for us he was crap.

4 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

Have you ever played the game? 

Of course I have.  Have you ever made a sensible post?

7 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

Have you ever played the game? 

Aside from the obviously provocative nature of your post, it's a good question. Most of us have played a bit at some time, so you know what qualities you tend to appreciate in your team mates. Watkins, I think, would tend to be a "player's player". Not eye-catching and the sort of bloke that fans often under-value and have a moan about, but there's a reason he was said to be popular and respected as a pro among the squad, and it won't be just because he was thought of as a nice chap.

I can only speak, as a former player (and that a very long time ago), from an extremely modest, local leagues background, but even at that level you do recognise when you're on the pitch with somebody what onlookers don't always see from the sidelines. Guys like him tend to make your own job as a player that much easier and more enjoyable. Being unselfish and hardworking aren't particularly sexy footballing attributes, but they are important. That he didn't make much of an impact here is not down simply to his shortcomings, whatever they're considered to be. He deserves a bit more respect than he's been given.   

16 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

It's fair enough

Did what he could when had a chance here, not sure why so many ragging on him as a failure mind, but hey ho

Wouldn't say he was a failure and possibly, at times, a victim of the bingo balls selection system seemingly adopted by the previous manager. On the few occasions he was able to show us glimpses of what he could do he seemed to get binned off for some inexplicable reason.

However, the accepted thought process is Covid will hit us hard, a potential reason amongst others behind the selection of the new manager and Watkins is exactly the type of player we need to get off the wage bill in order to spend the money that is available in a much more savvy way. We have to operate with a smaller selection of "senior" players supplemented by younger players of Championship ability, if not consistency, to fill in. Whether you rate him or otherwise he will never be a ten games in a row starter and in times of financial austerity that means he has to be off our wage bill, simple as that in my view.

Bottom line is injuries haven't helped bit but, whilst I think some people are a bit harsh on of a player that's never had that much of a run in the side, he's not at the level we need if we want to push on.

At the same time, I think there were times last season we benefited in having him up-front as a direct aggressive player who antagonised defenders and drew fouls. I also think he's a bit unlucky in that he started once on the right of a front three, played well (albeit against a weak Luton side) and never got picked in that position again. 

I've said this elsewhere but we struggled a bit to breakdown defensive teams last season and I do think a player like him can help in those kinds of games. I'd not be upset if we tried to bring in someone with similar attributes but who was more at the kind of level we need to strengthen the side. 

Archived