IGNORED

Before the Dawn - recording of Forever Bristol City live podcast 22 August

headhunter

Click to listen: https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-gcxes-e83a3a

Stanley from OSIB joined us for a lively debate on a range of topics:

Cheltenham reaction  / best midfield > who might leave / fixtures > acceptable return from first Block of Ten / Shirt Sponsor - money talks vs moral issues 

Best bit is Ian's meltdown over the consensus that 13-14 points from 10 will keep the critics at bay!!!!

2 hours ago, Paul Cheesey said:

Enjoyed the chat, but whoever it was that had the crackling microphone made it very hard to listen to. I guess it's an improvement on the barking dog and the phones going off. 

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Grateful for the podcast and the effort put in by all but the background noises are very off putting and make for a difficult listen.

Was that listening live or catch-up?

I’ve just listened via catch-up, and I’ve not picked up much background noise...apart from Ian (Devon Wi-fi) for a bit around 55 minutes.

Good listen chaps. Well done. I’m enjoying your podcasts. 

Thanks also for the name check (technically 2 really). The CDM/CM/DM/AM discussion as well as drawing upon my 40+ midfielders games post. 
Good point made by Stanley that Brownhill would’ve been our 40+ guy last year. 

On the midfield starters discussion. I’ve said on here the other day, I’d look at Morrell, Williams & Walsh. 
With Morrell the one to sit the deepest. 

Whilst I agree that Paterson did well in the role last year, and technically could be “his shirt to lose”, the reason he did well was because it was fresh to see someone come deep and be able to start play (we’d lacked it all season). What we now have is all 3 of JM, JW & LW being comfortable and willing to receive the ball in tight midfield areas and conduct play - it almost nullifies the need for Pato to be in there (but I did like what he did there). 

As for the 10 game target. I agree with most of your contributors that I’d be happy to see a fair to middling start, but so long as there was evidence of style coming through. For me those opening games are going to be about cementing performances that can be built upon. 

Good stuff chaps. 

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Good listen chaps. Well done. I’m enjoying your podcasts. 

Thanks also for the name check (technically 2 really). The CDM/CM/DM/AM discussion as well as drawing upon my 40+ midfielders games post. 
Good point made by Stanley that Brownhill would’ve been our 40+ guy last year. 

On the midfield starters discussion. I’ve said on here the other day, I’d look at Morrell, Williams & Walsh. 
With Morrell the one to sit the deepest. 

Whilst I agree that Paterson did well in the role last year, and technically could be “his shirt to lose”, the reason he did well was because it was fresh to see someone come deep and be able to start play (we’d lacked it all season). What we now have is all 3 of JM, JW & LW being comfortable and willing to receive the ball in tight midfield areas and conduct play - it almost nullifies the need for Pato to be in there (but I did like what he did there). 

As for the 10 game target. I agree with most of your contributors that I’d be happy to see a fair to middling start, but so long as there was evidence of style coming through. For me those opening games are going to be about cementing performances that can be built upon. 

Good stuff chaps. 

It’s a good challenge / thought....Williams doesn’t just sit in, he’s got that real “box to box” in him too.  He’s made our whole midfield look stronger....exactly what we wanted.

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s a good challenge / thought....Williams doesn’t just sit in, he’s got that real “box to box” in him too.  He’s made our whole midfield look stronger....exactly what we wanted.

Exactly. 
I mentioned the other day. What we now have in Williams, Walsh & Morrell is 3 players who can play in every midfield position (whether holding/screening, ball-winning, box to box, attacking/creating, passing/possession). 

This means they can all interchange and competently cover if one is out of shape. 

I’d let Williams play the box to box role. 
I’d let Walsh have the ‘free-er’ role, licence to play deep or high and be the creator. 
I’d let Morrell be the deeper, disciplined one. 

But all 3 can receive the ball from the back and control possession to start attacks. 

I’m genuinely excited by this triumvirate. 

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Was that listening live or catch-up?

I’ve just listened via catch-up, and I’ve not picked up much background noise...apart from Ian (Devon Wi-fi) for a bit around 55 minutes.

I haven't yet listened to the current podcast, Dave, my comments were re previous pods.

3 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

I haven't yet listened to the current podcast, Dave, my comments were re previous pods.

Ah, ok.  We are trying to tighten up on external noise.  Yesterday was much better in terms of less noise imho.

Hope you are enjoying them though.

I just caught up. Good to hear Stanley on there, although a shame that Lez wasn't also on the pod given he had once described the OSIB main man a "ket-head" (and other criticisms). It was totally unfair and there is nothing ket-head about Stanley as far as I know, but I must admit the put-down does make me giggle. It's a badge of honour, surely.

Talking of honour, good to hear Stanley defend Han-Noah's. The little gallic genius will prove the doubters wrong (I'm describing Massengo there, not Stanley, otherwise it would have been ket-head genius).

Also some sympathy for Ian's much disputed claims that we should have a higher expectation than mid-table for the first block of games. He didn't express it in the right way but I agree that there should be high hopes for an improvement this season given the opportunity the board had. If anything, we should have the new manager bounce early doors.

Thanks for the pod Dave and gang.

Just now, markcarter said:

On playback.

That’s weird, I listened back last night and thought it was ok. iPhone and iPad (just checked again).  Ta for feedback.

For info, I was locked away in the office, with a headset with mic (rather than my usual iPhone standard earphones).

@headhunter any thoughts your end?

@Shtanley did you find issues when starting up OSIB?

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s weird, I listened back last night and thought it was ok. iPhone and iPad (just checked again).  Ta for feedback.

For info, I was locked away in the office, with a headset with mic (rather than my usual iPhone standard earphones).

@headhunter any thoughts your end?

@Shtanley did you find issues when starting up OSIB?

Not sure what to make of the recent comments on sound quality.

Er indoors listened to it and I just checked and she commented that it was fine. Just listened myself around the 55 minute mark and it was OK

Re my pronunciation of Sammy S's surname which amused one listener, I'm sure I said it like Says-modics - is this incorrect.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Ah, ok.  We are trying to tighten up on external noise.  Yesterday was much better in terms of less noise imho.

Hope you are enjoying them though.

Enjoyed listening.  Bit incestuous with Shtanley involved though!!

Can't contributors just mute themselves unless they are speaking.  Would let the compere manage the convo a bit better as he could pitch each point to a particular individual before someone else has a chance to chip in?

3 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

Enjoyed listening.  Bit incestuous with Shtanley involved though!!

Can't contributors just mute themselves unless they are speaking.  Would let the compere manage the convo a bit better as he could pitch each point to a particular individual before someone else has a chance to chip in?

It’s a balance, it’s something we’ve discussed.  However, you do lose the debate if you just follow one after the other.  In an ideal world we’d all be sat together and it would allow more natural conversation flow.

Listened to the latest episode whilst out walking the dog this afternoon. Soundwise (background noise was barely noticeable this time) it was good.

Did agree with Ian that expectations for the first 10 games should be higher.....I was waiting for someone to chip in and say whether they would have been happy with the forecasts, points wise , if Houghton had been appointed. I guess not but that doesnt mean we should be expecting less.

Totally agree, from a personal point that I would rather see more entertaining football and for me getting to the Premier league is not the be all and end all.

Keep up the good work, the pods are well balanced and enjoyable to listen to.

Enjoyed that fellas. Another good listen and thought the sound quality was the best it’s been so far.

Some interesting points. Have to say I agreed with Ian’s mini melt down. Completely get where he was coming from.

As for the midfield discussion I really like some of our options. I also think the system could get the best out of the likes of Walsh & Morrell. I would like to see a midfield 3 of Williams, Walsh & Morrell. We do have to try move some of the deadwood in midfield on for sure. I know we need depth for what will be a hectic season,  but we are over stocked with midfielders. Not sure how easy it would be to move anyone on in the current climate, but if it was possible I would move on Nagy, Palmer & O’Dowda.

I don’t see what Nagy offers. I really don’t. Possibly as a back up but with the depth of midfielders we have I feel as though he’s surplus. I’ve seen nothing to suggest he can do anything Walsh or Morrell can’t. There is still potential with Palmer so maybe more of an argument there to keep him, but he hasn’t been great. As for O’Dowda I’ve seen enough. We have better options.

I still think we need 4 more signings. 2 CB’s, a right wing back & striker. We won’t be able to do that unless we trim the squad down first.

10 hours ago, headhunter said:

Not sure what to make of the recent comments on sound quality.

Er indoors listened to it and I just checked and she commented that it was fine. Just listened myself around the 55 minute mark and it was OK

Re my pronunciation of Sammy S's surname which amused one listener, I'm sure I said it like Says-modics - is this incorrect.

Honestly @headhunter the sound quality was great. The best it's been so far and wasn't an issue at all imo.

Loved the episode guys, great to have such a varied discussion with such wide ranging views. Great to have @Shtanley on too.

Keep up the good work guys ?

Very good podcast, and I 100% agree with Ian re points after 10 games. In fact, I found myself agreeing with Ian on every point he made, he was also correct when he stated that Ashton did say that we had top class applicants from all over the World.

So for DH to get given the job, he’s either an exceptional coach/manager who has hidden behind LJ and JM for four years, ( which is basically what Ashton is telling us) or Ashton wanted him because he knows he was the easiest candidate to manipulate. Time will tell.

As for the ‘we have a new manager and he needs time to bed in etc’, I don’t agree, he has been here for four years, we have basically exactly the same squad, he’s been given the job because he knows the players etc etc. So why did 90% of the podcast’s contributors say they would be content with a mediocre season ?. 

12 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Very good podcast, and I 100% agree with Ian re points after 10 games. In fact, I found myself agreeing with Ian on every point he made, he was also correct when he stated that Ashton did say that we had top class applicants from all over the World.

So for DH to get given the job, he’s either an exceptional coach/manager who has hidden behind LJ and JM for four years, ( which is basically what Ashton is telling us) or Ashton wanted him because he knows he was the easiest candidate to manipulate. Time will tell.

As for the ‘we have a new manager and he needs time to bed in etc’, I don’t agree, he has been here for four years, we have basically exactly the same squad, he’s been given the job because he knows the players etc etc. So why did 90% of the podcast’s contributors say they would be content with a mediocre season ?. 

Thanks for the comments PB. For all his detractors Ian has many who concur with his views.

Your points are wholly valid. I think those of us, myself included, who suggest a mediocre season is in store are just giving a realistic assessment. We've been browbeaten by the Pravda style news output coming from BCFC that they know what is best and we are just being compliant! We all want a start like 17/18 but not have our hopes dashed by a repeat of the cataclysmic failure in the 2nd half of the season; in fact 2nd half of season collapses for me will be the hallmark of Johnson's tenure!!!

Archived