IGNORED

How many are worth more than £5m?

Matthew me

For the first season in years, I don't believe we have a superstar with a £5m + price tag.

Our production line appears to be a little slower and not helped by us not having a category A academy. We've done well being traders so far and hope someone will emerge again this season. The cash generated from our transfers have kept us above water and within FFP

How many in our current team would command £5m?

Fam?

Wells if he has a decent season?

Struggling to think of anyone else..... Perhaps the board see this also and know we don't have a "smash glass in emergency" type player to cash chips

Until we get further into the transfer window, when clubs’ finances become clearer,  it’s guesswork. If the value of City’s players has decreased it doesn’t matter as the value of players City might want to sign will also have decreased. Just like the housing market. Your house’s value has gone down, but so has the value of the house you want to buy 

36 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Fam, Elliason, Dasilva, Kalas & Wells would bring in at least 25m.

Next year, hopefully, Walsh & Williams too.

Yeah with the squad as it is with a fair few younguns one strong season away from bigger and better, I reckon next summer will tell the full story. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If Nagy was to have a proper run and shine, could he rise to£5m in due course? 

Right now, probably Eliasson and Diedhiou with an argument for Bentley as well.

Bentley after the the last 5 months gets nowhere near 5m - he’s a lot to prove to me 

37 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

5 mill+? 

Kalas

Dasilva

Wells

Bentley

Massengo 

Elliason

Semenyo

and so forth. Plenty of others who are at near and above that in the right market. 

No chance Bentley, massengo, semenyo

If massengo was called Dave and came from Leeds, we'd be saying he's another average squad player, send on loan 

24 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Bentley after the the last 5 months gets nowhere near 5m - he’s a lot to prove to me 

Seemed to improve again towards the back end of the season. 

Bentley. Good keeper and can be an outstanding shot stopper and yes distribution good.

Don't feel like the defence has such confidence or security behind him and he can certainly be prone to an error.

Think Brentford fans were happy enough to consider Raya to be an upgrade.

8 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

No chance Bentley, massengo, semenyo

If massengo was called Dave and came from Leeds, we'd be saying he's another average squad player, send on loan 

Massengo, he has CL experience, International lower level experience and is from one of the bigger clubs in France and a renowned academy. Also he started well here.

You want to send him on loan to Southend or Blackpool, really?

Don't believe he's worth £5m yet but this wouldn't help his development I think.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Massengo, he has CL experience, International lower level experience and is from one of the bigger clubs in France and a renowned academy. Also he started well here.

You want to send him on loan to Southend or Blackpool, really?

Don't believe he's worth £5m yet but this wouldn't help his development I think.

It was hypothetical.... Was just saying he's not worth 5m

10 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

It was hypothetical.... Was just saying he's not worth 5m

Are you saying initial fee or with add ons? Because the rumour around Massengo when we signed him is we paid £2.5m ish upfront but his add ons could total 7/8 million if all fulfilled 

48 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I never underestimate Mark Ashton when it comes to selling players, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we got £5m for Bentley with add ons

2 hours ago, Matthew me said:

For the first season in years, I don't believe we have a superstar with a £5m + price tag.

Our production line appears to be a little slower and not helped by us not having a category A academy

1 - Despite the fact we signed 2 players for over £5m within the last 12 months who haven't lost value? 

2 - Having a Cat 1 academy doesn't automatically make the players you produce better players it just means you can recruit more freely from a younger age while having to pay more to maintain the academy in extra facilities and additional staff while playing against the other Cat 1 teams. Look at Exeter and Crewe neither have a Cat 1 academy but produce a string of players. Probably plenty of other examples of non Cat 1 academies who do similar. A lot of Cat 1 academies 'produce' players where in reality a lot of them have been brought in from other academies a few years before. Not that they broke through to first team level but Herbie Kane and Jacob Maddox as examples, both at City's academy and taken to Liverpool/Chelsea, Herbie has reached championship level and Jacob is playing abroad.

8 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

1 - Despite the fact we signed 2 players for over £5m within the last 12 months who haven't lost value? 

2 - Having a Cat 1 academy doesn't automatically make the players you produce better players it just means you can recruit more freely from a younger age while having to pay more to maintain the academy in extra facilities and additional staff while playing against the other Cat 1 teams. Look at Exeter and Crewe neither have a Cat 1 academy but produce a string of players. Probably plenty of other examples of non Cat 1 academies who do similar. A lot of Cat 1 academies 'produce' players where in reality a lot of them have been brought in from other academies a few years before. Not that they broke through to first team level but Herbie Kane and Jacob Maddox as examples, both at City's academy and taken to Liverpool/Chelsea, Herbie has reached championship level and Jacob is playing abroad.

Sunderland have a cat 1 academy. 

U23 P18 W0 D1 L17

U18 P16 W0 D0 L16

2 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Sunderland have a cat 1 academy. 

U23 P18 W0 D1 L17

U18 P16 W0 D0 L16

We've had this discussion before, there's definitely something weird going on at Sunderland, I don't know whether they have their best players pinched when they reach 16 or so (yes cat 1 can recruit from cat 1 so wouldn't protect us you just receive more...) but at the younger age groups I've known them to be a very competitive academy.

2 hours ago, Matthew me said:

Our production line appears to be a little slower and not helped by us not having a category A academy. We've done well being traders so far and hope someone will emerge again this season. The cash generated from our transfers have kept us above water and within FFP

How many in our current team would command £5m?

Fam?

Wells if he has a decent season?

Struggling to think of anyone else..... Perhaps the board see this also and know we don't have a "smash glass in emergency" type player to cash chips

Fam nic Baker massengo Nagy Moore Bentley and a few more,

also I don’t think you know how transfer actually work, you need to consider age contract length the clubs willingness to sell the players willingness to move,

not listen to some on a forum who things a guy is crap and would drive him to his next club

a large majority said that about a player not too long ago called bobby Reid and even when he was knocking them in for fun pre season said they’d bite Plymouth’s hand off for 200k, a year later we sold him for 10 million

Every player is worth whatever someone is willing to pay, no more or no less, but £5m is chicken feed to many clubs, who'll happily spend such a sum on a kid who's not even begun shaving. I'm sure we could find some idiot out there who will pay £5m plus for many of the players listed, and probably O'Dowda too, even in these stricken times. 

19 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Just amazed me to see Southampton scouts , WBA, and sags watching the local boys teams week in and week out.

My eldest son has played for years, we've never seen a city scout. Not sure if that's linked to our class A status or we just don't look locally that much

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Every player is worth whatever someone is willing to pay, no more or no less, but £5m is chicken feed to many clubs, who'll happily spend such a sum on a kid who's not even begun shaving. I'm sure we could find some idiot out there who will pay £5m plus for many of the players listed, and probably O'Dowda too, even in these stricken times. 

Cod I'd be happy with anything north of 1.5m

14 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

We've had this discussion before, there's definitely something weird going on at Sunderland, I don't know whether they have their best players pinched when they reach 16 or so (yes cat 1 can recruit from cat 1 so wouldn't protect us you just receive more...) but at the younger age groups I've known them to be a very competitive academy.

I agree, Sunderland is an extreme example. However, the point being is that a Cat 1 academy doesn't guarantee the best players. 

11 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Fam nic Baker massengo Nagy Moore Bentley and a few more,

also I don’t think you know how transfer actually work, you need to consider age contract length the clubs willingness to sell the players willingness to move,

not listen to some on a forum who things a guy is crap and would drive him to his next club

a large majority said that about a player not too long ago called bobby Reid and even when he was knocking them in for fun pre season said they’d bite Plymouth’s hand off for 200k, a year later we sold him for 10 million

There were quite a few who were up for mutually terminating his contract....so not even £200k, but a cost to us!!!

Football Manager - great game, but it’s got a lot to answer for too!!

11 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Just amazed me to see Southampton scouts , WBA, and sags watching the local boys teams week in and week out.

My eldest son has played for years, we've never seen a city scout. Not sure if that's linked to our class A status or we just don't look locally that much

Cod I'd be happy with anything north of 1.5m

And in truth so would I, but in football valuation, or what someone is willing to pay, has nothing to do with actual worth. 

Archived