IGNORED

How many are worth more than £5m?

Matthew me

32 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Every player is worth whatever someone is willing to pay, no more or no less, but £5m is chicken feed to many clubs, who'll happily spend such a sum on a kid who's not even begun shaving. I'm sure we could find some idiot out there who will pay £5m plus for many of the players listed, and probably O'Dowda too, even in these stricken times. 

We couldn’t even shift him last year with less than a year left on his contract, so I doubt that.

9 hours ago, Matthew me said:

Just amazed me to see Southampton scouts , WBA, and sags watching the local boys teams week in and week out.

My eldest son has played for years, we've never seen a city scout. Not sure if that's linked to our class A status or we just don't look locally that much

They are out looking most weekends. I know most of the scouts around Bristol from all of the clubs you listed plus other clubs as well. 

12 hours ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Sunderland have a cat 1 academy. 

U23 P18 W0 D1 L17

U18 P16 W0 D0 L16

One of the roles of a good academy is to prepare younger players for the senior team so the step up feels a natural progression.

Sunderland Academy seem to be meeting the brief perfectly.

2 hours ago, redsapper said:

They are out looking most weekends. I know most of the scouts around Bristol from all of the clubs you listed plus other clubs as well. 

My uncle Tim knew most of the scouts around Bristol too.

"Fingers" we call him. He is now doing 15 years.

15 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

5 mill+? 

Kalas

Dasilva

Wells

Bentley

Massengo 

Elliason

Semenyo

and so forth. Plenty of others who are at near and above that in the right market. 

May be worth that to us, but really a player's value is only what someone is willing to pay and no one is paying £5m+ for Bentley, Massengo or Semenyo right now

Elliason is a very slim possibility, but despite our concerns there doesn't seem to be much interest in him?

Kalas was signed last year for £8m and didn't have a great season, so again cannot see anyone coming in for him and spending that much. Only way he'd go for such an inflated fee is if a bigger or newly promoted club decided he was better than what they had and I cant see that being the case. More likely to see out his contract here and end up somewhere else in the division for a smaller fee or move back abroad.

Dasilva has potential, but again not worth that much to anyone else right now IMO.

Wells likely is if he has another good scoring season but again only just signed for us so you'd only see him go to someone bigger - and cant see anyone bigger wanting him.

15 hours ago, Rob k said:

Bentley after the the last 5 months gets nowhere near 5m - he’s a lot to prove to me 

Bentley is very much a World Beater/Panel beater type of goalkeeper. Six weeks of form where he looks like a £10m player then three weeks where you wouldn't get a tenner for him. However, he is still relatively young for a keeper and if he can get to the next level which basically means improving his consistency levels, we know the ability is a given, we will then have a £5m (or significantly more) keeper on our hands.

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Bentley is very much a World Beater/Panel beater type of goalkeeper. Six weeks of form where he looks like a £10m player then three weeks where you wouldn't get a tenner for him. However, he is still relatively young for a keeper and if he can get to the next level which basically means improving his consistency levels, we know the ability is a given, we will then have a £5m (or significantly more) keeper on our hands.

Just wondering, would Bentley be considered a championship version of De Gea? Brilliant at times and costly at times, only thing I'd say is does Bentley actually make as many gaffs directly leading to goals? 

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Just wondering, would Bentley be considered a championship version of De Gea? Brilliant at times and costly at times, only thing I'd say is does Bentley actually make as many gaffs directly leading to goals? 

No in my opinion. De Gea seemingly "was" a world class goalkeeper who has hit such a sustained downturn in performance that you cannot really regard it as a "loss of form" any longer. Bentley, albeit at a lower level, seems to put in a mixed bag of superb and downright average performances based on his form at the time. At his age there is the time in front of him to develop more consistency and if he does that we have a very good goalkeeper for the level. It is a fact that Goalkeepers mature far later than outfield players, it's undeniable, and it will be interesting to (hopefully) watch Bentley do that for us. Technically, he is not found wanting............he "just" (easy to say) has to cut out errors in his game.

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I have a Wednesday supporting friend. She notes that she thinks our fans are more over critical than any team she has known. 

This post shows that. 

3 million quid off for a seasoned Championship, international cente back mid twenties. ???

The mind actually boggles

Late 20s, was over priced at £8m anyway though was very impressive alongside Webster for that season.

Not sure anyone can argue that his performances this past season were worse, and had injuries.

Hasnt featured in an international match for 18 months, since a 5-0 hammering (and own goal) at the hands of England.

Also, as I said, a player is only worth as much as anyone is willing to pay and quite frankly right now I can’t see anyone paying £5m for him - who would? No Prem team would deem him better than what they have at the moment and he’s not one for the future, not sure if anyone in the Championship would go for him.

Im not saying I don’t rate him, I just think at this moment in time he’s worth more to us than the transfer fee he’d command. Needs a good season this year.

Archived