IGNORED

International call ups

GrahamC

59 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

So that is now Kalas, Nagy & O’Dowda confirmed, with presumably Morrell to come.

Can only assume we are ok to go ahead as we must have known this was inevitable.

Interestingly Preston have brought their’s forward to this Saturday for that very reason.

I think we're just happy to go with what we have and if we go out the so be it. The league cup following rounds are every midweek for the following 3 weeks, if you go out round 1 it actually works as a benefit that you don't get off to a heavy start to the season

23 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I think we're just happy to go with what we have and if we go out the so be it. The league cup following rounds are every midweek for the following 3 weeks, if you go out round 1 it actually works as a benefit that you don't get off to a heavy start to the season

I see it the other way....build confidence whilst being able to rotate certain positions like the WBs and the midfield.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I see it the other way....build confidence whilst being able to rotate certain positions like the WBs and the midfield.

Its a double sided coin situation really, I don't expect we'd be terribly annoyed by going out but like you say staying in means game time for a lot of players. 

7 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Its a double sided coin situation really, I don't expect we'd be terribly annoyed by going out but like you say staying in means game time for a lot of players. 

Ignoring the first round and clash with internationals....should we go out, then all we have is Saturday games until Boro on the 20th Oct.  I’d want to get minutes into as many players kegs as possible.

But I see the other argument too.

I’d be amazed if Holden thought losing to Exeter would be ok!

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’d be amazed if Holden thought losing to Exeter would be ok!

Wouldn’t expect him to be happy, more just that it’s not a worst case scenario. You only get a couple midweeks in October off before the long slog back end of November to mid Jan. if our players are fresher from less midweek games September/early October then we may need to rotate less through that period. It’s a case where both sides of the argument have merit.

17 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Holden needs early wins. He seems to have a decent amount of goodwill from supporters but if we make a poor start that'll quickly turn. 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Morrell called up by Wales too.

Kalas, Nagy, O’Dowda and Morrell now out of Exeter game.

Current guess, * = potential for call up. Walsh only not included having heard nothing about him in pre-season

Bentley

Vyner                  Moore                   Baker

Hunt                                                                                    Dasilva*

Pato            Williams        Massengo*     

Wells*            Weimann

5 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Current guess, * = potential for call up. Walsh only not included having heard nothing about him in pre-season

Bentley

Hunt                                                                                    Dasilva*

Is Jay too old for u21s now.  Was 21 in April....are we on a new qualification period now, I.e. not u21 at start of period?

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Is Jay too old for u21s now.  Was 21 in April....are we on a new qualification period now, I.e. not u21 at start of period?

I can't remember thought it better to mark than not mark just in case he still fits in the rules.

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Bentley

I see the call ups as an opportunity for the rest of the squad. I suspect with Holden that some positions will be available on merit not just a stopgap to cover international  call ups .

3 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Bentley

Like this. Agree with playing as many first team as we can. Effectively treat the game as the final pre-season friendly. We may yet have a couple of new faces to blood in as well. We should hopefully have Diedhiou available as well, hopefully still here and I can't find any Senegal fixtures listed on the web.

Just now, Red Army 75 said:

Will Kalas have to quarantine now the Czech Republic have been put on the list 

No, not according to what has been published, Elite sports people are under a testing regime....so as long as they pass a test before coming back to training they are ok.

On 25/08/2020 at 15:39, Lrrr said:

Bentley

Good guess...........but out of these.....Baker (injured)?  Williams (imjured)  Massengo (Call up) are out. Lucky we have a big squad?

4 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Good guess...........but out of these.....Baker (injured)?  Williams (imjured)  Massengo (Call up) are out. Lucky we have a big squad?

Didn't Tommy Rowe play LCB a couple of times last season? It might make more sense having his experience in defence with Vyner and Moore against Exeter (if we don't get a new CB by then) and letting Bakinson play his more natural role in midfield alongside Paterson and Eliasson (if we are going for a similar line-up to the Villa friendly). It never seems right throwing younger players into their big opportunity out of their favoured position.

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Won't clash with games for us but am I right in the following having been called up?

Morrell

Nagy

O'Dowda

Diedhiou

I note Kalas wasn't, not fully fit yet I guess, France youth sides or similar don't know if they're playing- certainly nothing for Massengo that I can see.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-stars-head-out-on-international-duty/

Massengo has been called up.

I know joe hasn’t featured for us yet and got injured on international duty . To be honest though it pisses me off a bit that he’s just got back into training and gets a call up. Some might say ( no oasis jokes please ?) that it’s a good thing If he gets minutes . However he’s not really had a pre season and could be liable to breaking down.

plus I also hate wales , so I don’t want him to help them against England ?

Archived