IGNORED

Steven Sessegnon - Loan Signing Confirmed

BLRed

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It may seem unlikely but if he has an amazing leap on him like Joe Bryan then who knows.

Macherano was amazing at centre back for Barcelona. 5 foot 8.

Cannavaro 5 foot 9.

Though I get it is very unusual.

I think if we had to play him there due to injuries, he'd probably be ok as the right sided CB of the 3, next to taller players like Kalas and Mawson. He does also give us the option of going to a back 4 in some matches too, as I really don't trust Hunt when in that formation. 

Like others on this thread I don’t know much about him either. But I found an article where Steven and Ryan Sessegnon did an interview together. 

Apparently Steven tore his ACL for the England u16s, which also happened to be his debut in the first 50 seconds of the game! Pretty unlucky. But his twin brother Ryan went on to say that Steven’s injury held him back a year and prior to his injury they were both evenly matched in terms of ability. 

Could be an exciting signing and I hope this lads career takes off with us.

1 hour ago, Kingswoodactor said:

So he made 11 appearances for Fulham in the Champ last season and has 3 caps for England U-21. Can't really see any footage of him online, but at only 20 years old, we shouldn't be expecting him to come in as some kind of world beater. Hunt's shirt to lose still IMO. 

It’s difficult to fully judge, because Sessegnon has played mainly at a RB in a back 4 rather than wingback, but he’s pretty quick, and good technically with the ball - you’d expect that from a Fulham player.  Not great defensively from the little I’ve seen, but a lot can change over a year / season....so you’d think RWB would suit him nicely.

When the rumour first came up, I watched quite a bit of content on Wyscout.  Seen bits and pieces of him other than that.

1 hour ago, Kingswoodactor said:

I read online earlier that he's been used at Fulham as a centre half as well. Just gives us another potential option there should injuries effect Moore, Kalas and Mawson in those 3 CB positions. 

He’s played age group at CB, but the only game Wyscout and Transfermarkt concur is that he played LCB  in a senior game was in a CB3 v Millwall in an EFL Cup game.  Has played LB for England age group.

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Bit off topic but our own Fatty Wedlock was playing for England as a centre half at 5'5".

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/100-year-old-story-bristol-3468601

Back on topic - I would prefer Pereira personally, but if Sessegnon is signed it'll be a good signing and give Hunt serious competition.

You are quite right regarding Billy Wedlock, however, one has to take into account that he was playing in the days before the development of 'The stopper' centre-half in the 1920s, Wedlock played at a time when the centre-half was effectively a central midfielder. 

3 hours ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

Just looking at the couple of clips of him from the U17 World Cup final in this video between 1 min 15 and 1 min 45 show what an exciting prospect he looks going forward, he really could excel at wing back. Exciting signing no doubt, really hope we have a option to buy at the end of the season. The signing makes less sense if we don't I must admit.

Archived