Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Steven Sessegnon - Loan Signing Confirmed

I did suspect we'd be fairly active in the transfer window as the board knew Holden needed backing and they couldn't afford to make things even more difficult for him.

Another really good signing imo. I also like the idea of Brunt. If we get him too then I think it's a fantastic window.

The only other player we'd need is another forward if Diedhiou leaves.

Sessegnon seems like an exciting prospect, but seems to be very much a work in progress. Not sure that's what we need. However, he has experience at this level, is known to coaches and has pace to burn so fingers crossed he takes a big step forward. Would have preferred to see Perreira back if I'm honest, but there's definitely things to like in this deal

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Sessegnon seems like an exciting prospect, but seems to be very much a work in progress. Not sure that's what we need. However, he has experience at this level, is known to coaches and has pace to burn so fingers crossed he takes a big step forward. Would have preferred to see Perreira back if I'm honest, but there's definitely things to like in this deal

I read online earlier that he's been used at Fulham as a centre half as well. Just gives us another potential option there should injuries effect Moore, Kalas and Mawson in those 3 CB positions. 

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

So he made 11 appearances for Fulham in the Champ last season and has 3 caps for England U-21. Can't really see any footage of him online, but at only 20 years old, we shouldn't be expecting him to come in as some kind of world beater. Hunt's shirt to lose still IMO. 

Allows Vyner to focus on playing/developing as a CB while keeping competition for Hunt. Wondering whether there may be an option to buy in there.

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Allows Vyner to focus on playing/developing as a CB while keeping competition for Hunt. Wondering whether there may be an option to buy in there.

I'd be surprised given his age and that he has England caps. I guess Fulham want us to keep developing him in the hope that they have a real fine player on their hands in a few years time. 

7 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

I read online earlier that he's been used at Fulham as a centre half as well. Just gives us another potential option there should injuries effect Moore, Kalas and Mawson in those 3 CB positions. 

Just looked it up and seems around 5'8" - bit short for CB ?

Mind you, that was Wiki.

10 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Mind you, that was Wiki.

Muggsy Bogues was a bit short for a Basketball player be he did OK. 

I suppose it's not only all about hight (not disregarding it), but he may have other skills/qualities like positioning, marking and strength that make up for his lack of height. His pace will certainly help if it means he doesn't take an age to turn like an Oil Tanker!

Edited by Loco Rojo
7 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Muggsy Bogues was a bit short for a Basketball player be he did OK. 

I suppose it's not only all about hight (not disregarding it), but he may have other skills/qualities like positioning, marking and strength that make up for his lack of height. His pace will certainly help if it means he doesn't take an age to turn like an Oil Tanker!

Bit off topic but our own Fatty Wedlock was playing for England as a centre half at 5'5".

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/100-year-old-story-bristol-3468601

Back on topic - I would prefer Pereira personally, but if Sessegnon is signed it'll be a good signing and give Hunt serious competition.

27 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Mind you, that was Wiki.

Yes he is 5ft 8, no way could we play him there beyond an emergency in a game such as a sending off when we’d already used all our subs.

57 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

I thought that was the case but was not sure.

Interesting as he is so short.

21 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yes he is 5ft 8, no way could we play him there beyond an emergency in a game such as a sending off when we’d already used all our subs.

It may seem unlikely but if he has an amazing leap on him like Joe Bryan then who knows.

Macherano was amazing at centre back for Barcelona. 5 foot 8.

Cannavaro 5 foot 9.

Though I get it is very unusual.

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It may seem unlikely but if he has an amazing leap on him like Joe Bryan then who knows.

Macherano was amazing at centre back for Barcelona. 5 foot 8.

Cannavaro 5 foot 9.

Though I get it is very unusual.

I think if we had to play him there due to injuries, he'd probably be ok as the right sided CB of the 3, next to taller players like Kalas and Mawson. He does also give us the option of going to a back 4 in some matches too, as I really don't trust Hunt when in that formation. 

Like others on this thread I don’t know much about him either. But I found an article where Steven and Ryan Sessegnon did an interview together. 

Apparently Steven tore his ACL for the England u16s, which also happened to be his debut in the first 50 seconds of the game! Pretty unlucky. But his twin brother Ryan went on to say that Steven’s injury held him back a year and prior to his injury they were both evenly matched in terms of ability. 

Could be an exciting signing and I hope this lads career takes off with us.

1 hour ago, Kingswoodactor said:

So he made 11 appearances for Fulham in the Champ last season and has 3 caps for England U-21. Can't really see any footage of him online, but at only 20 years old, we shouldn't be expecting him to come in as some kind of world beater. Hunt's shirt to lose still IMO. 

It’s difficult to fully judge, because Sessegnon has played mainly at a RB in a back 4 rather than wingback, but he’s pretty quick, and good technically with the ball - you’d expect that from a Fulham player.  Not great defensively from the little I’ve seen, but a lot can change over a year / season....so you’d think RWB would suit him nicely.

When the rumour first came up, I watched quite a bit of content on Wyscout.  Seen bits and pieces of him other than that.

1 hour ago, Kingswoodactor said:

He’s played age group at CB, but the only game Wyscout and Transfermarkt concur is that he played LCB  in a senior game was in a CB3 v Millwall in an EFL Cup game.  Has played LB for England age group.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Bit off topic but our own Fatty Wedlock was playing for England as a centre half at 5'5".

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/100-year-old-story-bristol-3468601

Back on topic - I would prefer Pereira personally, but if Sessegnon is signed it'll be a good signing and give Hunt serious competition.

You are quite right regarding Billy Wedlock, however, one has to take into account that he was playing in the days before the development of 'The stopper' centre-half in the 1920s, Wedlock played at a time when the centre-half was effectively a central midfielder. 

• elhombrecito changed the title to Steven Sessegnon - Loan Signing Confirmed