IGNORED

Swansea

Unan

Signed Rhian Brewster (Liverpool), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea) and Marc Guehi (Chelsea), Morgan Gibbs-White (Wolves). All young england / prem teenagers, I thought this is what we were supposed to be doing with our 2 new coaches? Who's in control of transfers here?

2 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Signed Rhian Brewster (Liverpool), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea) and Marc Guehi (Chelsea), Morgan Gibbs-White (Wolves). All young england / prem teenagers, I thought this is what we were supposed to be doing with our 2 new coaches? Who's in control of transfers here?

This is Bristol City though. Also you would guess Swansea are a bigger draw than City under Holden. And that is not meant to be disrespectful to Holden 

2 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Odd.  When was it said we brought Simpson and Downing in to sign young premiership players on loan?  I thought they were brought in to coach.

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Odd.  When was it said we brought Simpson and Downing in to sign young premiership players on loan?  I thought they were brought in to coach.

Hope not, they're pony coaches aren't they

Who said we will definitely be bringing in young England players?? How do you know we are not looking at options? From what I see we are after a RB and CB and the RB we are looking at is Steven Sessegnon who’s a young England player who Swansea are also interested in. 

8 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

So because Swansea (very well respected club, former Prem, former England u16/17 manager and better prospects of promotion) have picked up 4 players who we may have not even wanted it means we are doing something wrong?

5 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Yeah I remember that was part of the job description for assistant coaches to Dean.

How dare they coach instead! What are they thinking?

5 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

As I understand it, the new coaches were brought in to coach players not sign them.

Swansea already had a young team, it'll be even younger now - we'll see if that works for them or not.

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think that’s what everyone assumed, which as we know is always a dangerous thing.

It was assumed that the two coaches were in control of all the England youngsters and just by being here we would gets first dibs on the cream of the crop. 

Real Life of course is very different. Anyway there are always tons of youngsters surplus to their parent clubs requirements, if it’s going to happen it will happen. But I don’t think who we have coaching is going to make much difference.

Swansea being a recently relegated premier league side (3rd season is recent in the grand scheme, still have parachute payments) and the coach who won the u17 WC is it any surprise he brings in young English players? We have a large squad, is it any surprise we're not adding much to it before many players leave?

Pretty sure Brewster hasn’t gone back there.

Swansea have a former England youth team coach, it is logical that this is the direction they are going in.

Personally I think we should concentrate on pruning a bloated squad than on signing many more players.

18 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Its "HOLDEN" not "HUGHTON"....got nothing to do with what coaches we have at the club,  its all about the Manager and who players want to play for.

15 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

This is Bristol City though. Also you would guess Swansea are a bigger draw than City under Holden. And that is not meant to be disrespectful to Holden 

Same old story....there will always be a bigger club right?

14 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Important to clarify Brewster and Gallagher have not gone back to Swansea for this season as of yet. Looks like Prem clubs are after them on loan so it's unlikely they will.

Guehi and Gibbs-White are fantastic signings for them and not a shock they want to link back up with the manager they won the Under 17's World Cup with.

As others have mentioned Simpson and Downing as far as we know have no direct impact (or 'control' as you put it) into transfers here and have come in as coaches. That's not to say they won't be able to have a role in persuading some of the young guys they've coached to come here but surely we need a bit patience, they've only been here for 2 and a half weeks!!

15 minutes ago, redpole said:

Who said we will definitely be bringing in young England players?? How do you know we are not looking at options? From what I see we are after a RB and CB and the RB we are looking at is Steven Sessegnon who’s a young England player who Swansea are also interested in. 

Is this the same Steven Sessegnon who is Joe Bryan's understudy at Fulham?  Talking of coaches are we now in reverse?

Fans moan that we’ve not bought in 4 premier league youngsters on loan.

We bring in premier league youngsters on loan and fans would moan that there is no pathway for our own youngsters and academy players.

I’d rather we concentrate on pushing players like Vyner, Moore, Massengo ( yes, he’s one of our own!) Walsh and Morrell than paying out massive loan fees to premier league clubs along with the guarantees they seem to want about playing time.

24 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Are you saying those 4 names overall, because only Gibbs-White has signed for this season on loan...so far.  Guehi looks likely today by the seems if it.

For info, we’ve already signed an ex-Downing player....permanently....Joe Williams.  So that’s a start.

Plus we already have Dasilva and Palmer permanently.

So, not sure this is a fair criticism....unless you were being sarcastic.

8 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

He's done pretty well on all accounts with 14 appearances in 3 years,  just the sort of experience we should be looking for.

As opposed to the experience that the OP players have?

Can I just understand the criticism? Are we annoyed that we haven't picked up 4 relatively inexperienced and untested youngsters - or are we annoyed that we are chasing an inexperienced youngster instead of someone who has had a couple of seasons at this level (like a Joe Williams?)

13 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

He's done pretty well on all accounts with 14 appearances in 3 years,  just the sort of experience we should be looking for.

Are you talking to yourself?

You mentioned he was an understudy to Joe Bryan yet it was clarified he plays on the other side of the pitch so it's incorrect and irrelevant.

You clearly agree with the OP who's claiming that Swansea have signed 4 England youth on loan (when only 1 has signed) and our coaches now should be some how responsible for this. Someone points out England youngster Sessegnon who we are apparently after and now after being disproven about being Bryan's understudy you move on to his appearances at 19 so far.

Keep digging that hole ?

Look like good signings on paper but there is video on them in that system now. I am sure they will be up and around the top 6 but there is no guarantee they perform as well as last season. And not to mention if they don’t get promoted they have to start over. Happy with a loan or two but not sure I want half my starting XI to be here for a season only. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Look like good signings on paper but there is video on them in that system now. I am sure they will be up and around the top 6 but there is no guarantee they perform as well as last season. And not to mention if they don’t get promoted they have to start over. Happy with a loan or two but not sure I want half my starting XI to be here for a season only. 

They'll potentially have 3 on loan (Woodman, Guehi and Gibbs-White)

50 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Might be worth adding the words 'on loan' to your OP.

Morgan Gibbs-White has looked a very good player for Wolves so that will be a good signing I think.

The other 3 - well isn't one going back there? We've signed promising young Prem players before - sometimes with success, sometimes not. Nothing to get too excited about either way.

43 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Fans moan that we’ve not bought in 4 premier league youngsters on loan.

We bring in premier league youngsters on loan and fans would moan that there is no pathway for our own youngsters and academy players.

I’d rather we concentrate on pushing players like Vyner, Moore, Massengo ( yes, he’s one of our own!) Walsh and Morrell than paying out massive loan fees to premier league clubs along with the guarantees they seem to want about playing time.

Let's hope Holden agrees with you and Morrell and Walsh get the chance as opposed to last season's midfield which included Massengo and Nagy and were for a lot of the time not good enough 

56 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Some good signings ....

They could and should be pushing the top two next season

Obviously not all gone back there but they seem to be quietly and solidly improving.

I say this pretty much every season but I think it is a really open league next season. When you look at the favourites, Brentford are a great side but in a new stadium and teams can take a while to cover from a play-off final defeat and you could make arguments for or against all three Premier League teams coming back down, Forest tailed off, Cardiff need to prove they are as good as they finished the season rather than as they started it and Derby and Stoke were inconsistent last year.

I think Swansea, Brentford and Stoke are the three teams I'd be placing my money on if I were a betting man...

Archived