IGNORED

Any one else.............

slartibartfast

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

feel this is the most boring "pre-season" ever ?

Definitely, yes, but expect crazy rubbish as soon as the season starts. If City win the first two matches, Mark Ashton will be the messiah for appointing Holden. If City lose the first two, Ashton is an idiot and it’s Holden Out!

1 hour ago, Red white and red said:

Don’t start the bread puns mate, people will get a right cob on! 

No problem, as I’ll use my loaf to make sure I steer clear as I don't knead any aggrevation.

Back to the OP if there is a crumb of comfort to be taken from this “boring” pre-season, it could be that it is tied in with lowered expectations as a result of the impact of cover, crowds not being back at games yet and so many being disappointed by Holden’s appointment. Against such a background and low expectations, perhaps the excitement will come when it matters and games start in ernest and we might surprise a few. 

You’ve got to know which side your bread is buttered after all!

18 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Definitely, yes, but expect crazy rubbish as soon as the season starts. If City win the first two matches, Mark Ashton will be the messiah for appointing Holden. If City lose the first two, Ashton is an idiot and it’s Holden Out!

After the manger appointment saag, I think there are a few for whom MA ( and SL) will be an idiot even if we win the first 10 games!

4 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Shouldn't this be under 'Suggestions'?

4 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I repeat, shouldn't this be under 'Suggestions'?

Reason for Edit: Repetition!!

As soon as Holden talked of "irons in the fire" it brought the Johnson era flooding back for me. So much talk and seldom backed up with action. The squad is hardly any better than last season. The only difference is Holden not Johnson. So is he good enough to get us in the top six with virtually the same squad. I hope so but doubt it.

Is it just me, but for the 1st time in over 30 years as a season ticket holder, I just don't feel that excited about the new season, not sure if its due to covid and the uncertainty if will be watching on the TV or in my seat or the disappointing choice of head coach and the lack of signings. Feels like we are going into the new season with a weaker squad and part of the old coaching setup.

Perhaps when the season starts the buzz may return but now just feels flat.

6 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Is it just me, but for the 1st time in over 30 years as a season ticket holder, I just don't feel that excited about the new season, not sure if its due to covid and the uncertainty if will be watching on the TV or in my seat or the disappointing choice of head coach and the lack of signings. Feels like we are going into the new season with a weaker squad and part of the old coaching setup.

I'm feeling ok about this season. It's either going to be a stroke of genius from MA and SL or it's going to be a major wake up call.

Bit of a win win...

DH seems a lovely bloke and I wish him all the best. Let's see how we play without the LJ shackles 

51 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I think not being able to go to games is the big factor. Lets face it, we all know when the first game comes around usually regardless of summer activity we'd all be buzzing to get to the first game. The fact that isn't possible just kills the mood a bit

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I don't have a season ticket but feel much the same way. Mostly down to Covid19 I guess but then all other teams are in the same boat so who knows. 

I normally try and get to a few games each season but hold out little hope this time around.

No crowds no buzz.

I saw clips from the two Charity Shield games, men and women, and they both looked like training games rather than the big event that they usually are.

Football is primarily a spectator sport and when you strip away the crowds you no longer have football as we have known it.

That's why a standard league punishment for failure to control a crowd is to play games behind closed doors; because it ruins the game.

Plenty of that going around. 2020 from a football perspective has been tough both on and off the pitch for us all.

Scoring goals and winning games in empty stadiums all feels a bit soulless.

Hopefully a few games in the general buzz and at least a few fans, will return.

If we’re looking at it bluntly, all we have done so far is sign one injured player and either released people on loans, frees or for a small fee.

we are actually weaker than we were at last game of last season so atm, it’s hard to see how there is going to be a successful season ahead unless there is a rush of signings that massively improve us in the next week or so

20 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

If we’re looking at it bluntly, all we have done so far is sign one injured player and either released people on loans, frees or for a small fee.

we are actually weaker than we were at last game of last season so atm, it’s hard to see how there is going to be a successful season ahead unless there is a rush of signings that massively improve us in the next week or so

But all other sides have much the same problems. We knew this would happen due to the pandemic. Just now it's a matter of survival for all and sundry. A lot of clubs will fold and die off I am sure. With SL we are one of the lucky ones who will battle through.

This pandemic IMO will change football as we love it forever.

Signings at the moment mean nothing. Survival as a club means everything.

56 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I think not being able to go to games is the big factor. Lets face it, we all know when the first game comes around usually regardless of summer activity we'd all be buzzing to get to the first game. The fact that isn't possible just kills the mood a bit

I agree. I try to go to as many away games as I can and haven’t missed a home league game in years, infact I can’t remember the last one I missed.

No I’m not citing Superfan status here, far from it. I just want to point out how distanced I am feeling right now. Even when I can’t get to an away game I still feel excited and part of it, probably as I usually know I will be attending the next game. It sort of feels like every game will be a pre season warm up type game, I’m finding it hard to get my head around that it’s not.

Add to this that I don’t feel like I’ve had a Summer, certainly not a break of any kind since Covid kicked in and I’m just about done in at the moment. I just wish we had a realistic date to work towards.

Williams injury has taken some of the interest away, but hopefully we may recruit one or two more players next week?  Very little optimism or confidence has been engendered due to Holden's anti-climatic appointment, a lack of new players, and also Diedhiou and Elliassons contract situation's.  So I guess with very little expectation, anything resembeling good positive performances and "Please God" some excitement might just surprise us all..........  So Holden sacked by Xmas then!  Ha!  ?

On 26/08/2020 at 19:28, Redrascal2 said:

As soon as Holden talked of "irons in the fire" it brought the Johnson era flooding back for me. So much talk and seldom backed up with action. The squad is hardly any better than last season. The only difference is Holden not Johnson. So is he good enough to get us in the top six with virtually the same squad. I hope so but doubt it.

I bet he’s having sleepless nights about your lack of faith in him!

I’m looking forward to the new season but I’m more muted than normal.  I blame the media output which has been non existent.  There’s been no streaming of any of the friendly’s to get me excited (missed trick if they want to temp us to stream games until we’re back in the stadium) and little interactions with players, plus a lack of transfer activity and the initial disappointment of Holden’s appointment (I’ve moved on now). If I was cynical I’d say the media department is working at 20% as they know theres no need to whip up anticipation and excitement to get us to buy tickets until the stadium reopens.  It feels like someone at the club has decided  that if there’s no money to be made at the end of it why bother engaging with us.

Archived