IGNORED

Sky sports sack Thompson, Le Tissier and Nicholas

MC RISK77

Surprised in terms of Le Tissier - but then taking into account his recent comments, not so much.

Let's see who Sky bring in before we pass judgement. To be frank Nicholas and Thompson have always struck me as heavily biased and lacking general knowledge, now is probably the best time for Sky to refresh as they can cite the COVID situation, they've been getting much more stale each season.

Agree w/ some comments re Morrison. I really do struggle to follow what he's saying - Scott is decent, but unspectacular; if they can get someone in the mold of Liam Rosenior, that would improve the punditry immensely.

Think there all a bit long in the tooth.  All played before the Prem even started.  Need some younger blood in.  

I couldn't care how Clinton Morrison speaks, but he rarely provides much insight or analysis. 

Always impressed with Joe Cole when I hear him.  Maybe even Chris Houghton if he can make it past the interview stage. ?

1 hour ago, Matthew me said:

Nicolas was poor. The other two will be missed 

However, a change doesn't hurt. Hopefully some fresh new opinions....

Roy Keane?

Calls a spade a spade, and you'd definitely know if the game he was watching was crap!!

Listening to him as a studio guest is one thing, but trying to describe the game and keep people interested by trying to sound upbeat? Yeah not so sure that is possible.

1 minute ago, Taz said:

Calls a spade a spade, and you'd definitely know if the game he was watching was crap!!

Listening to him as a studio guest is one thing, but trying to describe the game and keep people interested by trying to sound upbeat? Yeah not so sure that is possible.

Calling a spade a spade? I thought that's what got you thrown out in the first place.

For many in the 18-34 age category, they do actually appreciate a slightly different voice, a slightly different take on things, a varied interpretation. 

Also, despite the playing credentials of many of these pundits, as each year passes, they become less relevant. 

Think about Gower & Botham with Sky cricket. Goliaths of the game, but their best playing days were getting on for 40 years ago now. Way before T20, way before The Hundred, at some point you have to say time for some new talent to come on through.  You can't expect recreational cricket to flourish if the chaps on the TV are from the 80s and very few kids from the 2010s can identify with them.  In terms of ability/talent, you can't replace Gower overnight in that anchor role (I'm not too sure about Beefy, I don't think he was great with his punditry), but if Sky didn't make a move, Gower/Botham aren't going to walk away of their own accord from £500k pa, are they. You have to pull the trigger at some point. 

Like it or not, the world is changing, and if you have a panel of 50 year old white blokes, five of them lined up, on a flagship TV show, it's going to look more and more incongruous with each passing season.  

When we mention 'tokenism' and positive discrimination not doing any favours, causing resentment etc. - how many of us saying that on here are black, gay or lesbinan, or women...I have no way of knowing but I have a damn good gut instinct. 

Get Gary O’Neil, Danny Murphy and kris Commons on there. Always been impressed with the way they analyse games and their insight. All retired not too long ago so still in touch with the modern game. Much needed facelift for the teleprinter.

Thompson and Nicholas had absolutely no clue about anyone who wasn’t Liverpool, Arsenal or in the top 4 of the prem. very narrow minded and ignorant to the championship and below. There are more than 4/5 teams in English football chaps. 

For what it’s worth, I think Alex Scott does a good job when I’ve seen her on various shows. 
Morrison is someone who is probably quite good for the Soccer Saturday role, as you don’t need to be a tactical analytical expert, you just need some enthusiasm and banter - and he’s definitely got that. 
I was impressed by McAnuff in his recent playoff appearances. 
Gary O’Neill has also been very good. As has Liam Rosenior. 
Any of those are decent replacements for the 3 ex-pundits. 

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

For what it’s worth, I think Alex Scott does a good job when I’ve seen her on various shows. 
Morrison is someone who is probably quite good for the Soccer Saturday role, as you don’t need to be a tactical analytical expert, you just need some enthusiasm and banter - and he’s definitely got that. 

Finally some sense being spoken. 

I always feel the better pundits are those who have recently come out of the game. 

Ryan Mason, Faye Carruthers, Sue Smith, Neil Mellor, Clinton Morrison, Jamie O’Hara are all terrible in my opinion. 

I really like Micah Richards. He seems a good laugh but he tends to get a Man City/villa match most weeks, I wonder if they’d be able to get him to move into the Soccer Saturday studio.

I also quite liked Aaron McClean in the little bits I’ve seen of him on SSN. 

Intrigued to see who they go with. 

6 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Strange move in respect to Phil and Charlie, Matt le Tissier I can see given his recent controversial comments on covid, but as with the cricket they are getting rid of some much loved pundits.

To be fair the coverage sky give cricket is world class. They’re almost spoilt for pundits. Shame to see Botham and Gower go but I think it’s great that the likes of Rob Key etc have stepped up. Maybe we’ll see with Soccer Saturday. Time will tell.. 

11 minutes ago, TomF said:

To be fair the coverage sky give cricket is world class. They’re almost spoilt for pundits. Shame to see Botham and Gower go but I think it’s great that the likes of Rob Key etc have stepped up. Maybe we’ll see with Soccer Saturday. Time will tell.. 

Yep, you can’t knock Sky on the Cricket. Fantastic coverage with great commentators from all over.

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I was impressed by Jobi MacAnuff and Gary O`Neil covering the Championship post-lockdown. They both really `got it`.

Probably why they're both still working in the game and probably won't be free Saturday afternoons. O'Neil was recently hired working with Liverpool's U23's

3 hours ago, GlastonburyRed said:

For many in the 18-34 age category, they do actually appreciate a slightly different voice, a slightly different take on things, a varied interpretation. 

Also, despite the playing credentials of many of these pundits, as each year passes, they become less relevant. 

Think about Gower & Botham with Sky cricket. Goliaths of the game, but their best playing days were getting on for 40 years ago now. Way before T20, way before The Hundred, at some point you have to say time for some new talent to come on through.  You can't expect recreational cricket to flourish if the chaps on the TV are from the 80s and very few kids from the 2010s can identify with them.  In terms of ability/talent, you can't replace Gower overnight in that anchor role (I'm not too sure about Beefy, I don't think he was great with his punditry), but if Sky didn't make a move, Gower/Botham aren't going to walk away of their own accord from £500k pa, are they. You have to pull the trigger at some point. 

Like it or not, the world is changing, and if you have a panel of 50 year old white blokes, five of them lined up, on a flagship TV show, it's going to look more and more incongruous with each passing season.  

When we mention 'tokenism' and positive discrimination not doing any favours, causing resentment etc. - how many of us saying that on here are black, gay or lesbinan, or women...I have no way of knowing but I have a damn good gut instinct. 

Absolutely spot on. ?

3 hours ago, Harry said:

All this. If they all spark off each other, aren't afraid of a gentle rib or two, know what they're talking about and react with enthusiasm and without crib notes then you have magic.

Didn't even realise Sky Sports was still going - seem to recall it was also "finished" for getting rid of Andy Gray and Richard Keys. ?

A frankly staggering reaction on here to be blaming race or already with the pitchforks in anticipation that the next candidate is somehow marginalising white middle aged men, as if that is the only merit to anyone else.

We are in the middle of a pandemic and the biggest economic downturn of our lifetimes. Hate to break it to you but if you have the option not to extend the contracts of long term employees on top wages, and can refresh to introduce newer people at the start of a career/salary progression, you're going to do it now when all income from advertising is being slashed. It's got nothing to do with being woke, it's any big business right now.

Don't forget there are live games this season too, even on a Saturday, and for every team, so if you are going to make this change now is the time to do it, when Soccer Saturday itself is going be less relevant or watched. Amazing that the first people to cry snowflake are the ones who seem to have massively overreacted to a logical business decision.

Also @Robbored I think you've been watching too much Airplane.

2 minutes ago, samo II said:

No politics but I’m not shedding a tear.

They’d run their course and frankly I’d prefer some fresh insights over their pretty out of date knowledge and observations.

As a Sky Sports subscriber I’m pleased they’ll be doing something different.

I have to admit I struggle to watch Soccer Saturday without thinking of this:

I don't think a refresh every once in a while is in anyway a bad thing...

Archived