IGNORED

Sky sports sack Thompson, Le Tissier and Nicholas

MC RISK77

1 minute ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Scott Minto not having contract renewed presenting the EFL coverage. Thought he was a decent presenter. Imagine presenters would be harder to find than pundits.

Sky are refreshing the look of their sports programmes which began last summer with cricket when Gower and Botham were let go.

It’s no surprise that it’s happening in other sports.

Scott Minto was good. 

I haven't got a problem with them changing the people as long as the ones coming in are better (I mean Charlie Nicholas is no loss so should be easy there). Whether it is for those reasons - will have to wait and see I think. If it is to get in Clinton Morrison then that is frightening as his analysis is a joke. Alex Scott is articulate and knows her stuff so no issue there. I do worry they won't be employing the best people for the job though...

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Funny how Scott Minto was also given the boot yet there is no furore about him leaving

He's excellent, surprised at that, personally I couldn't care what colour, sex or creed the presenters/pundits are, some of the worse just happen to be black, (Morrison. Crooks, Kamara) while Matt Murray and Rosenior excellent

Personally I couldn’t give a shit whose on that Saturday afternoon show, I’m always out watching a live game of football at the same time as they are spouting there inane nonsense. 

They are one of the reasons non league crowds are going down, football fans seem to prefer sitting in front of a tv, much more than watching a live football match,  a real shame. 

23 minutes ago, phantom said:

Funny how Scott Minto was also given the boot yet there is no furore about him leaving

Admit I had to google the name but recognised the face, thought he was a good presenter and that actually annoys me more than the 3 being let go from Soccer Saturday, the overall programme for EFL games is generally quite poor so this will just hurt it unless they replace with someone as good or better.

For what its worth, if you've got a panel of 4 people, given how quickly the game has evolved over the last 15 years it would be nice to have people who've actually played the game professionally in that time. Provides a better understanding of the game today and the demands of it. Gareth Barry has just retired, could be an interesting option if he doesn't have anything else lined up.

2 hours ago, samo II said:

No politics but I’m not shedding a tear.

They’d run their course and frankly I’d prefer some fresh insights over their pretty out of date knowledge and observations.

As a Sky Sports subscriber I’m pleased they’ll be doing something different.

100% agree with this. I personally think that Soccer Saturday just isn't as fun to watch these days and I often turn the sound off if I do have it on (Especially if I can listen to or watch a City game)

It needed a change.

Moving back into the football conversation...

Scott Minto also given his marching orders. A shame as I thought he held the EFL presenting very well, still fairly young (by comparison to the soccer Saturday panel), thought he may have been around a lot longer. Shame.

Alex Scott is great and should be a pundit regardless.

Aluko isn’t but such is life.

It really isn’t any different to punditry over the last 30 years, whereby some people were interesting and watchable and others were just rubbish.

The problem and challenge we face as a society is that the current fad is to reduce everything to gender or ethnicity. 

That goes for both more liberal and conservative lobbies.

Hopefully we’ll move on in the next 5/10 years.

1 minute ago, RedRoss said:

That's your opinion and they may well be true I have mine and that may be true. We will never know and that's why we post on a forum for ideas and opinions. Crazy I know! 

I’m sure in time we’ll find out. Have a look at Ian wrights video below, yes he’s a black guy who obviously has strong opinions on the BAME discussion, but he makes some good points

As far as I can see, Sky saw that the show could do with a shake up like every show does once in a while, see Question of Sport for a long term example, even look at Soccer Saturday for that matter! NOBODY has been mentioned as replacements by Sky, and as long as Sue "fingers down the blackboard voice" Smith isn't on there I will give the show a chance, they might take a little time to get comfortable and bed in just like the 3 guys who have been let go had to. Let's see shall we?

33 minutes ago, PhilC said:

100% agree with this. I personally think that Soccer Saturday just isn't as fun to watch these days and I often turn the sound off if I do have it on (Especially if I can listen to or watch a City game)

It needed a change.

I was going to say I turn the sound off.

The ‘banter’ tends to be pretty forced and the ‘analysis’ tends to be just “well when I was in the changing room...” stuff that is tired at this point.

Don’t wish any of them ill, but as someone who is dropping coin on their service, if Sky asked me would I want to see some new voices, I’d have no issue with it, and would support it.

22 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Hopefully. Both more knowledgable than Merson, Nicholas and Thompson 

Soccer Saturday is not about knowledge though. I'm pretty sure it's aimed at blokes sitting in the pub with their coupon in hand.

I think the shake up is good. A lot of these pundits are late 50s and a lot of the younger generation have no affinity to them having not seen them play. Half of them can’t even pronounce the players names.  Time to throw in some of the younger blood and get Crouch, Micah Richards, etc etc on. 

47 minutes ago, jj77 said:

Soccer Saturday is not about knowledge though. I'm pretty sure it's aimed at blokes sitting in the pub with their coupon in hand.

Well if you're in the pub you're probably not listening to them anyway and just watching out for scores, so for those who have it on and want to hear about whats going on it would be great to have more informative people, we get 'what' has happened in matches, but we often don't get a good explanation of 'why' its happened with tactics etc. I'd rather Soccer Saturday allowed the people watching games to speak for an extra 10/20 seconds to give the explanation, Jeff does a good job at catching up on goals that have gone in during those moments anyway.

Thinking about it though, the Liam Rosenior (if he weren't in work) example I'd actually rather keep him away from Soccer Saturday and instead get him on Match of the Day instead.

23 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Hopefully. Both more knowledgable than Merson, Nicholas and Thompson 

?

22 hours ago, downendcity said:

Completely agree, in fact he’s hard to listen when he’s on Talksport.

His tongue operates at a different speed than his brain - the brain struggles to keep up with the tongue.

Morrison? Yep, never heard of him. ?

People do come to the end of their shelf life; this much is true. Not saying its time though. I liked the whole crowd cajoled by the irrepressible Geoff Stelling. They will be extraordinarily hard to beat. And as we have seen with the utterly hapless decision to terminate The Top Gear Trio if you change something en masse it very rarely works. This is a great opportunity for someone at the BBC to have some balls, steal Stelling and re-recruit the old gang. 

p.s. I know the BBC have no balls and no vision these days so no chance of that.

46 minutes ago, Super said:

Anyway back on topic......seems that Jeff might leave now. Would be bad for Sky he is the best presenter around.

I like Stelling but I'd hope he's worked in the media for long enough to know it is a ruthless industry where formats often get reshaped.

Between them, Le Tissier, Thompson and Nicholas have gone a cumulative 76 years without playing professional football. There is a massive problem with ageism in the media - and I'd understand people bringing up their outrage on the basis of this rather than some perceived racial or PC element - but, in terms of how sports media in this country works, there is nothing unusual outrageous about a refresh, if that is what happens. The BBC is generally seen a bastion of staleness and even they barely have any pundits who have worked on MOTD as long as most of the Soccer Saturday team. If Stelling is upset and outraged, it implies he really doesn't understand the business he is in. And I suspect he understands that business very well indeed. 

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I like Stelling but I'd hope he's worked in the media for long enough to know it is a ruthless industry where formats often get reshaped.

Between them, Le Tissier, Thompson and Nicholas have gone a cumulative 76 years without playing professional football. There is a massive problem with ageism in the media - and I'd understand people bringing up their outrage on the basis of this rather than some perceived racial or PC element - but, in terms of how sports media in this country works, there is nothing unusual outrageous about a refresh, if that is what happens. The BBC is generally seen a bastion of staleness and even they barely have any pundits who have worked on MOTD as long as most of the Soccer Saturday team. If Stelling is upset and outraged, it implies he really doesn't understand the business he is in. And I suspect he understands that business very well indeed. 

Jeff Stelling and the others remind me a little of the old top gear guys messrs Clarkson, May and um the other one, they’ve probably been doing the same thing for a touch too long now, and whilst they have their fans which is fair enough, the longer they go on the more old hat they appear to be to anyone under the age of 40

Archived