IGNORED

Celtic

BCFC1512

The  best team in Scotland..........reach the heady heights of the Champions League Qualifying Round, before Inevietably failing dismally.  Neil Warnock expressed the opinion, when he was asked recently, that Celtic and Rangers would easily hold their own in our Premier League!! Yeah Ok Neil?   Celtic and Rangers in the course of a season probably play 4 or 5 competitive football matches, so it is hardly surprising that they fail when faced with a half decent team from somewhere in Europe.  IMHO, Scottish football, rather like Womens football,  is a pale imitation of the real thing.  I am not,  I assure you, being Sexist or Anti-Scottish, just truthful and realistic?

4 minutes ago, maxjak said:

The  best team in Scotland..........reach the heady heights of the Champions League Qualifying Round, before Inevietably failing dismally.  Neil Warnock expressed the opinion, when he was asked recently, that Celtic and Rangers would easily hold their own in our Premier League!! Yeah Ok Neil?   Celtic and Rangers in the course of a season probably play 4 or 5 competitive football matches, so it is hardly surprising that they fail when faced with a half decent team from somewhere in Europe.  IMHO, Scottish football, rather like Womens football,  is a pale imitation of the real thing.  I am not,  I assure you, being Sexist or Anti-Scottish, just truthful and realistic?

Teams that would attract 50000/60000 for every single home along with the massive investment the novelty would create would not stay out of the premiership for long

3 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

Teams that would attract 50000/60000 for every single home along with the massive investment the novelty would create would not stay out of the premiership for long

Celtic and Rangers are huge fish in a tiny pond.  If they were allowed in the Prem, then after 4 to 5 years, the money that they would  generate, and with a decent manager on board, would mean that they would soon become established Prem sides, and become successful and competitive long term.  But in there present incarnations they would both probably be relegated in their first season?  It would just be a matter of time though, for them to be successful, due to their massive support.

Celtic plays in a very non-challanging country. They can win the title with reserves...this is the reason they cant evolve..they took the game too easy. That Hungarian team is at League One level or at most bottom half Championship. Just an unlucky game for Celtic, and with this Covid19 nothing is normal. There will be a lot of surprises.

• Admin
20 minutes ago, Mihai said:

Just an unlucky game for Celtic, and with this Covid19 nothing is normal. There will be a lot of surprises.

Unlucky!

what utter Nonsense 

They come unstuck every season in the same way against teams that would struggle in league one.

Bang average side in a piss poor league

6 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

watched Hibs. Livingston Dundee utd and Aberdeen recently on tv and the standard is dreadful.  celtic only have to be half decent to win that league. alot would struggle in the bottom half of the championship and that is being kind.

100% agree but would put them top 10 league one at best 

16 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Celtic and Rangers are huge fish in a tiny pond.  If they were allowed in the Prem, then after 4 to 5 years, the money that they would  generate, and with a decent manager on board, would mean that they would soon become established Prem sides, and become successful and competitive long term.  But in there present incarnations they would both probably be relegated in their first season?  It would just be a matter of time though, for them to be successful, due to their massive support.

Their current teams would be bottom half championship at best.

There is the argument they would eventually become decent with their fan base and premier league money.... But villa, Newcastle, and Leeds are all massive clubs which have/or had big money in the Premier league. None of them have won a trophy since the mid 90s and they have all been relegated from the prem in recent memory.  Villa spent 100 million and only just stayed up, fulham the previous season spent similar and got relegated. If celtic and rangers spent 100 million to improve their current squads do you think their teams would be good enough? I'm not so sure. Hell, Arsenal (a club as big if not bigger than them and with a better team) spent 70 million on one player and came 8th!!

Rangers and celtic are massive clubs, there is no doubt about it. But it would be interesting to see if their international fan base reduced if they were to play in England. A lot of the old firm supporters from outside Scotland tend to have them as a second team. Would say, leeds fans who also follow rangers still be prepared to do so if they were head to head in a relegation battle?

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

To a great extent I believe you are correct.

Yet there is one positive difference to English leagues.

Very young players at clubs outside of the Scottish Premiership, get regular games at first team level and become accustomed to "adult" football at a much earlier age than most of their English counterparts.

Get experience with their own club instead of a loan 200 miles from home.

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

watched Hibs. Livingston Dundee utd and Aberdeen recently on tv and the standard is dreadful.  celtic only have to be half decent to win that league. alot would struggle in the bottom half of the championship and that is being kind.

Tbh I thought Celtic played some excellent stuff tonight, their ball retention and quality of passing was really good, they were undone by a piece of shite defending for the opposition’s second goal. Small margins. 

8 hours ago, cider-manc said:

Their current teams would be bottom half championship at best.

There is the argument they would eventually become decent with their fan base and premier league money.... But villa, Newcastle, and Leeds are all massive clubs which have/or had big money in the Premier league. None of them have won a trophy since the mid 90s and they have all been relegated from the prem in recent memory.  Villa spent 100 million and only just stayed up, fulham the previous season spent similar and got relegated. If celtic and rangers spent 100 million to improve their current squads do you think their teams would be good enough? I'm not so sure. Hell, Arsenal (a club as big if not bigger than them and with a better team) spent 70 million on one player and came 8th!!

Rangers and celtic are massive clubs, there is no doubt about it. But it would be interesting to see if their international fan base reduced if they were to play in England. A lot of the old firm supporters from outside Scotland tend to have them as a second team. Would say, leeds fans who also follow rangers still be prepared to do so if they were head to head in a relegation battle?

I don't think anyone is saying either of the old firm would win the prem but they would certainly buy their way out of each division to get there, unless they happen to be as badly run a club as Leeds have been for the past 20 years of course

10 hours ago, maxjak said:

To be fair if they were in the Prem they’d have the money and appeal that goes with that. They’d be huge clubs with potential for much bigger crowds and therefore stadium improvements, they’d attract much higher calibre players too.

I've no love for Celtic, but like many clubs in Europe they shouldn't be in qualifying rounds, but are because of the corrupt draw of the so-called Champions League. As champions of their nation they should be in the main draw as opposed to the also rans, otherwise known as the champions of sod all, such as Man City, Borussia Dortmund, Barcelona etc who should face off with one another in the qualification rounds, if allowed in the competition at all. 

36 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

To be fair if they were in the Prem they’d have the money and appeal that goes with that. They’d be huge clubs with potential for much bigger crowds and therefore stadium improvements, they’d attract much higher calibre players too.

Mm, but you need a Billionaire owner to compete and then there's the challenge of getting top players to sign. It's hard enough getting superstars to move to Manchester never mind Glasgow.

They could easily be Man City with a billionaire owner who really goes for it. If they over pay for talent like Man City did when they first got bought and run at a gigantic loss (which you can't do as easily these days).

I've always thought Newcastle United is their realistic level of potential. They would not be winning for a LONG time if they came down south. All of this fan base through success they have, would vanish over the years. The fans attracted by glory would have no glory. Their appeal is built on their success, and if you remove the success, then.. what happens?

Archived