IGNORED

Celtic

BCFC1512

1 hour ago, Galway Red said:

I don't think anyone is saying either of the old firm would win the prem but they would certainly buy their way out of each division to get there, unless they happen to be as badly run a club as Leeds have been for the past 20 years of course

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is just as much chance they could become a Sheffield Wednesday, a Nottingham forest or even a Sunderland rather than a Newcastle or an Everton (Never mind a Liverpool or a Manchester united)

Success levels are obviously measured depending on the club. So would celtic be content with being at say West hams level at best? No silverware, no European football and the possibility of relegation just as likely as finishing in the top half? I dont think they would.

This is obviously just my opinion at present and a lot could change if it ever did happen- maybe if they were in the prem they would be bought out by the next Saudi Prince billionaire and would become the next Manchester City. Who knows.

3 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is just as much chance they could become a Sheffield Wednesday, a Nottingham forest or even a Sunderland rather than a Newcastle or an Everton (Never mind a Liverpool or a Manchester united)

Success levels are obviously measured depending on the club. So would celtic be content with being at say West hams level at best? No silverware, no European football and the possibility of relegation just as likely as finishing in the top half? I dont think they would.

This is obviously just my opinion at present and a lot could change if it ever did happen- maybe if they were in the prem they would be bought out by the next Saudi Prince billionaire and would become the next Manchester City. Who knows.

Personally I think the appeal to be financially involved in either of the old firm is bigger than the clubs you've mentioned, we have the Welsh clubs here so why not the Scottish? Ultimately Sky will decide which makes it very possible that it will happen

Ferencvaros were 9/1, well at least I made some money , that was a ridiculous price considering they had already knocked out the Swedish champions.

Celtic were pretty dominant throughout but Ferencvaros stuck to their guns well and Lennon may well regret not starting the game with a striker now.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Hungarian surprise a couple more.

23 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Ferencvaros were 9/1, well at least I made some money , that was a ridiculous price considering they had already knocked out the Swedish champions.

Celtic were pretty dominant throughout but Ferencvaros stuck to their guns well and Lennon may well regret not starting the game with a striker now.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Hungarian surprise a couple more.

Only surprise is that Celtic fans consider themselves greater than they actually are ?

7 hours ago, cider-manc said:

If either of the old firm did come into the Premier League this is what i would fear would happen. A billionaire would without doubt be drawn to the potential of a Celtic or Rangers.. like it or not i think they have the largest ACTIVE fanbases in the UK. Over 150,000 Rangers travelled down to Manchester for the 2008 uefa cup final , ridiculous really and not many if any English clubs would bring a following like that IMO.

8 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I've no love for Celtic, but like many clubs in Europe they shouldn't be in qualifying rounds, but are because of the corrupt draw of the so-called Champions League. As champions of their nation they should be in the main draw as opposed to the also rans, otherwise known as the champions of sod all, such as Man City, Borussia Dortmund, Barcelona etc who should face off with one another in the qualification rounds, if allowed in the competition at all. 

So you think that Lincoln Red Imps should be in the group stages over Barcelona?

The whole idea of the tournament is that it brings the best sides in Europe against eachother, which will create more excitement than Bayern Munich v Floriana FC...

11 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

So you think that Lincoln Red Imps should be in the group stages over Barcelona?

The whole idea of the tournament is that it brings the best sides in Europe against eachother, which will create more excitement than Bayern Munich v Floriana FC...

That's not the point of the tournament at all. It is to determine the Champions of Europe, not giving free passes to also rans just because they attract a crowd. The other purpose is supposedly to raise the standard of football across Europe, which would be enhanced if Floriana  could improve through the money that could be brought in by playing Bayern Munich. I want to see minnows play giants with the chance of a giants killing, which would be improved if it was made just one leg. I'm sick and tired of seeing PSG play Real Madrid for the umpteenth time. By the way if numbers are to be made up then I have no objection to Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund etc being in the draw, but as they are not champions they should be in the qualifying rounds and if they draw each other in qualifying one then tough. 

I'm aware it won't change of course because the money grabbing officials of UEFA want their brown envelope from the powerful clubs they bow down to. The good thing is that I don't have to watch this corrupt tournament 

45 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I thought it was a tournament where the champions of each country played each other? 

1 hour ago, bris red said:

If either of the old firm did come into the Premier League this is what i would fear would happen. A billionaire would without doubt be drawn to the potential of a Celtic or Rangers.. like it or not i think they have the largest ACTIVE fanbases in the UK. Over 150,000 Rangers travelled down to Manchester for the 2008 uefa cup final , ridiculous really and not many if any English clubs would bring a following like that IMO.

Absolutely ridiculous comment!

This sounds like something a Leeds or Rovers supporter would claim

They had a decent following because they got to a major final, in European terms on their doorstep.

We easily mustered 40,000+ for a third tier cup final, imagine if we got to a European final

I don't understand why people keep mentioning them coming to an English league, it won't ever happen

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

yep

36 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Absolutely ridiculous comment!

This sounds like something a Leeds or Rovers supporter would claim

They had a decent following because they got to a major final, in European terms on their doorstep.

We easily mustered 40,000+ for a third tier cup final, imagine if we got to a European final

I don't understand why people keep mentioning them coming to an English league, it won't ever happen

Im not a fan of either of the Glasgow club’s in particular Celtic who are a vile club IMO. Im just pointing out that they have a fanatical level of support that not many English clubs can match. 

20 hours ago, Hartleysbeard said:

Commentators always bang on about ‘those famous European nights at Celtic Park’...famously shit you mean? 

So shit Messi said: 

"I've been fortunate to play in some great stadiums in Europe with Barcelona but none compare to Celtic. The atmosphere their fans create make it a very special European night of football."

Fair enough if you don't like Celtic, but claiming the atmosphere for European games is shite is laughable.  Famous victories over Barcelona and Man Utd amongst them.

I'm guessing the beard in question is one Hartley grew after leaving Celtic? ?

• Admin
2 hours ago, Red Skin said:

So shit Messi said: 

"I've been fortunate to play in some great stadiums in Europe with Barcelona but none compare to Celtic. The atmosphere their fans create make it a very special European night of football."

Fair enough if you don't like Celtic, but claiming the atmosphere for European games is shite is laughable.  Famous victories over Barcelona and Man Utd amongst them.

Err 

So because Lionel Messi made one comment that proves a point? 

46 minutes ago, phantom said:

Err 

So because Lionel Messi made one comment that proves a point? 

I think someone that played at every major stadium in Europe in a position to have an opinion, as opposed to someone that I would bet has never been to played at any.  Doubt very much he's even been to Celtic Park.

I'm no Rangers fan but I wouldn't deny that they create an atmosphere for their games.   

I should know better to comment on any Celtic related thread on here.  Toxic.  The only reason I do is to point out that not all City fans follow Rangers.  

I'd prefer no discussion of Celtic or Rangers tbh.  If you want to post about either go on their forums.  Bringing up Celtic or Rangers only causes division.  

On 26/08/2020 at 22:44, phantom said:

Unlucky!

what utter Nonsense 

They come unstuck every season in the same way against teams that would struggle in league one.

Bang average side in a piss poor league

100% agree but would put them top 10 league one at best 

Beating Lazio home and away last season in the Europa League was rather good, no? Significantly better than 'top ten league one at best'. How far over a season that can be extrapolated is of course completely different.

3 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

With the revenue and income they currently get easily bottom half of the Premier League but with the PL revenue and TV rights they would easily have the money to get the players they want to challenge top 6.

They'd be relegated first season without the vaguest semblance of a fight.

Unless they immediately spent the entire lot on a new squad, and then they could well do a Fulham.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

The standard of the SPL is dog turd.

Last season Motherwell finished third with a squad made of players signed mostly from Non-League teams here.

One of their biggest signings was from FGR.

Lazio 1-2 Celtic, Celtic 2-1 Lazio.

Quite decent- certainly a better standard of opponent than Ferencvaros in their modern iteration.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Lazio 1-2 Celtic, Celtic 2-1 Lazio.

Quite decent- certainly a better standard of opponent than Ferencvaros in their modern iteration.

Bristol City 4-1 Crystal Palace., Bristol City 2-1 Manchester United.

Bradford (League 2) 3-1 Aston Villa (Prem), Aston Villa 1-2 Bradford.

Every team will win ties where they aren't the expected winner. 

Celtic getting shock wins over Lazio aside, that still doesn't address what I had stated.

A side largely made of League 2 and National League standard players finished third in the SPL last season.

On 27/08/2020 at 20:10, Red Skin said:

So shit Messi said: 

Fair points. I’m just saying I think they’re overrated. 

Graham poll in todays telegraph!

0 Not allowed!
"Last week I refereed my first play-off match at Ashton Gate, the Second Division semi-final second leg between Bristol City and Hartlepool.

Despite my refereeing experiences around the world, I cannot recall a greater contrast between players than at the final whistle. Bristol City, who had scored two late goals to qualify, were ecstatic, while all connected with Hartlepool were in despair. The noise within the stadium when the two home goals went in was incredible and compared favourably with a full Nou Camp for a Champions League quarter-final."

Some people still confuse Celtic and Rangers within the confines of the Scottish game (tv money, crowds, attracting players etc) v Celtic and Rangers in the EPL. If you dropped Celtic and Rangers in now with the confines of the Scottish game they'd both be relegated. If you put them in with Sky EPL money etc investors would be falling over themselves, sponsors, top players etc and within 3 seasons both would be challenging for top 4 or better I have no doubt.

I’ve always had a very poor opinion of Scottish football and the failure in the Champions League repeatedly shows just how  crap it is. There just isn’t enough regular tough opposition in their premiership for either Glasgow club.

In England the top clubs have tough games every weeks and why Man Utd and Liverpool have won it several times.

After Brendan Rogers left Celtic he claimed that if the Scottish PL had the same amount of money as the English PL that both Rangers or Celtic would Do well in the Champions League but what Rogers is overlooking is the almost weekly piss poor opposition they’re up against and when they face a decent European club they’re out of their depth.

Archived