Watford

Derby

Forest

Cardiff

Bottom three:

Rotherham

Wycombe

Wednesday

City predicted to finish 17th ‘in a season that saw the Robins dead last in the Expected Points table (a reflection of xG chances at both ends), a top half finish flattered them. Frustrated fans can hope that Niclas Eliasson underused by Lee Johnson, may link up nicely with Nahki Wells’

Thoughts? 

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

One of the laziest top 6 and bottom 3 predictions I have ever seen.

We finished higher than we deserved to sure, but laying the blame on LJ's underuse of Eliasson? Reeks of looking at the assists table, then at his minutes and saying "Yep, that looks to be the problem".

Their stuff is frankly rubbish.

Stopped reading it years ago, completely clueless about life outside the Prem.

1 minute ago, Midred said:

How can Derby and Forest still be 'certs' for rhe top 6!

Derby I'd be backing for top 6, after Rooney arrived in January they shot up the table, either it coincided with Cocu starting to get the best out of them or it was a causality, either way it took Cocu a while to get them going.

6 minutes ago, winsaw said:

I would take 17th this is a season of change for us , the most important thing this year is staying up and getting experience into our coaching team , I would be very surprised if we did top half this season,

Wow. We as fans have really got an exciting season in prospect. 17th!!

Those big words and expectations banded around after the sacking of LJ. Banded around publicly by the the big cheese himself.

Now we accepting that 17th is all fine and dandy. Not having a dig at you winsaw but good grief we have come crashing down in expectations.

31 minutes ago, supercidered said:

Wow. We as fans have really got an exciting season in prospect. 17th!!

Those big words and expectations banded around after the sacking of LJ. Banded around publicly by the the big cheese himself.

Now we accepting that 17th is all fine and dandy. Not having a dig at you winsaw but good grief we have come crashing down in expectations.

I think very few fans would be happy with 17th, and the management/ownership certainly wouldn’t.

They sacked LJ for failing to get near the top six and would expect DH to do at least as well, if not better.

I’d accept top half but would be disappointed with 12th. Bottom half would be unacceptable. 

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I think very few fans would be happy with 17th, and the management/ownership certainly wouldn’t.

They sacked LJ for failing to get near the top six and would expect DH to do at least as well, if not better.

I’d accept top half but would be disappointed with 12th. Bottom half would be unacceptable. 

I frankly can't understand the reasoning to think DH would do as well as LJ considering his less experience. And just because he has two new Coaches as assistants is an unknown.

We are back to square one imo.

No disrespect to DH.

But if the owner/board expect DH to match or better LJ this season, then I think they are being totally unfair on DH.

I see this coming season as another of consolidation and bringing those who've been loaned out through and giving them a go...Moore, Walsh, Vyner, Morrell etc etc

52 minutes ago, Midred said:

How can Derby and Forest still be 'certs' for rhe top 6!

You mean Wayne Rooney’s Derby County?

The reason is obvious! :) 

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

I frankly can't understand the reasoning to think DH would do as well as LJ considering his less experience. And just because he has two new Coaches as assistants is an unknown.

No disrespect to DH.

But if the owner/board expect DH to match or better LJ this season, then I think they are being totally unfair on DH.

I see this coming season as another of consolidation and bringing those who've been loaned out through and giving them a go...Moore, Walsh, Vyner, Morrell etc etc

I rarely disagree with your posts Spudski but I do on this one.

To me LJ had run out of steam. His tendency to tinker with the stating 11 not only frustrated the players but the fans as well. His tactics and formations changes didn’t help either. He reached the stage where he became too worried about getting beaten.

Deano has experience of the Championship, knows the current squad and has brought in two experienced assistants who will undoubtedly bring that breath of fresh air that’s so desperately needed, particularly to the training sessions at Failand.

I have a strong feeling that Deano will do a decent job. He’s already said that he wants to excite us fans and that must mean attacking football - something we rarely saw under either of the Johnsons.

I’m cautiously optimistic about this upcoming season.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

17th would be an absolute disaster. Holden would have to go and Ashton too.

Indeed. Even a bad start for Holden (first 10 games) and i think he may well be gone, i hope it works out because we really do run the risk of setting ourselves back 5 years with a poor season.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

17th would be an absolute disaster. Holden would have to go and Ashton too.

Completely agree. Anything less than the play offs will be unacceptable. It may also be unrealistic given the circumstances but that’s all on the board. SL will be hoisted with his own petard. 

29 minutes ago, spudski said:

No disrespect to DH.

2/3 season’s ago I would have agreed with you, but think things might be different now.

Most fans agree that LJ’s thinking became increasing muddled during the last couple of seasons and the impression was that the players were getting as confused  as fans, by the changes to personnel, formations and tactics almost weekly.

I've long felt that LJ was managing to make the team less than the sum of it’s parts, rather than the other way around. DH has worked with these players for some time and as long as he realises the definition of madness is doing the same thing, but expecting a different result, so avoids doing what LJ did, then there is a good chance we will see the players performing to their potential and looking like an effective team, rather than 11 players on a getting to know you outing.

6 hours ago, daored said:

Four Four Two season predictions for championship:

Top six:

Brentford

Norwich

Watford

Derby

Forest

Cardiff

Bottom three:

Rotherham

Wycombe

Wednesday

City predicted to finish 17th ‘in a season that saw the Robins dead last in the Expected Points table (a reflection of xG chances at both ends), a top half finish flattered them. Frustrated fans can hope that Niclas Eliasson underused by Lee Johnson, may link up nicely with Nahki Wells’

Thoughts? 

I would definitely have Brentford, Norwich, Derby along with Swansea, Stoke and one other 

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I rarely disagree with your posts Spudski but I do on this one.

To me LJ had run out of steam. His tendency to tinker with the stating 11 not only frustrated the players but the fans as well. His tactics and formations changes didn’t help either. He reached the stage where he became too worried about getting beaten.

Deano has experience of the Championship, knows the current squad and has brought in two experienced assistants who will undoubtedly bring that breath of fresh air that’s so desperately needed, particularly to the training sessions at Failand.

I have a strong feeling that Deano will do a decent job. He’s already said that he wants to excite us fans and that must mean attacking football - something we rarely saw under either of the Johnsons.

I’m cautiously optimistic about this upcoming season.

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

2/3 season’s ago I would have agreed with you, but think things might be different now.

Most fans agree that LJ’s thinking became increasing muddled during the last couple of seasons and the impression was that the players were getting as confused  as fans, by the changes to personnel, formations and tactics almost weekly.

I've long felt that LJ was managing to make the team less than the sum of it’s parts, rather than the other way around. DH has worked with these players for some time and as long as he realises the definition of madness is doing the same thing, but expecting a different result, so avoids doing what LJ did, then there is a good chance we will see the players performing to their potential and looking like an effective team, rather than 11 players on a getting to know you outing.

I probably worded my post wrongly.

I wasn't defending LJ...his time was up.

My point was, that DH shouldn't be expected and judged on what LJ was expected to do last season... basically top 6.

If he implements the players I mentioned, its an unknown quantity.

We have no bench mark to start from...it's a complete unknown quantity. Coaching assistant is far removed from the pressure of coach and making the correct decisions and being weekly interrogated.

29 minutes ago, spudski said:

No disrespect to DH.

I don't think privately the board do expect DH to achieve top 6, though I think they'd want better than 17th.

We are back to square 1 and maybe pre-square 1!!  Holden needs to bed in a new way of playing and only has a short preseason to do so.  Establishing that and achieving some exciting winning performances, albeit with some inconsistency, would be progress on what we have seen the last two years.

I am a big fan of xG.  Brentford failed to pick up point last season early on, but their xG was always good.

Despite our points haul, even before our final collapse under LJ we just weren't convincing as a team for me.  We weren't ready to go up so I wasn't massively upset that we didn't. (If I was a Brentford fan, though I would be gutted).

Maybe for where we are, progress in the level of performance rather than progress in terms of league position is what matters right now.   Maybe xG is a more useful measure for now.  Ultimately that will translate to improved league position if we can do it consistently.

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

I probably worded my post wrongly.

I wasn't defending LJ...his time was up.

My point was, that DH shouldn't be expected and judged on what LJ was expected to do last season... basically top 6.

If he implements the players I mentioned, its an unknown quantity.

We have no bench mark to start from...it's a complete unknown quantity. Coaching assistant is far removed from the pressure of coach and making the correct decisions and being weekly interrogated.

We have 5 games as caretaker to start from.  I saw more cohesion in those 5 games than 18 months under LJ.

He’s had a short pre-season....but still a long time to work on things compared to being thrown in during those last 5 games with little training ground time.

I am probably more positive than most, but I do expect a top 6 challenge.  There still 6/7 weeks left of the window.  There are only 4 league games before the window shuts.

We need a bit of calm.

Last week everyone was saying play the kids versus Exeter.  Now we have a few international call-ups and injuries people are panicking.

32 minutes ago, One Team said:

Completely agree. Anything less than the play offs will be unacceptable. It may also be unrealistic given the circumstances but that’s all on the board. SL will be hoisted with his own petard. 

Exactly, and I’m going to keep pedantically mentioning this all season if we’re outside top 6.

I really want Holden to do well, but the board should’ve been honest about expectation management if they’re not really expecting playoffs. They haven’t indicated expectations have changed, so I’ll expect top 6.

Archived