IGNORED

Four Four Two season predictions

daored

The bookies seem to have us in a similar place. I think with DH we are unknown which is probably fair. Think one thing for sure, if we finish 17th DH will not be here next summer!

Re the other teams I may be in a minority but I really don’t fancy Norwich to do well. Appreciate core of promotion squad etc but got beaten so often second half of the season you do wonder if they will be the same side again as losing like that becomes a habit. Re Brentford for me it depends on who they keep. I do think Stoke a year on under O’Neil could be right up there. 

I think it’s a very open season. 

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We have 5 games as caretaker to start from.  I saw more cohesion in those 5 games than 18 months under LJ.

He’s had a short pre-season....but still a long time to work on things compared to being thrown in during those last 5 games with little training ground time.

I am probably more positive than most, but I do expect a top 6 challenge.  There still 6/7 weeks left of the window.  There are only 4 league games before the window shuts.

We need a bit of calm.

Last week everyone was saying play the kids versus Exeter.  Now we have a few international call-ups and injuries people are panicking.

I agree we looked better in those games, but no more so than any team that's struggled and had the bounce effect after a new person has taken over.

I'm surprised you expect a top 6 challenge Dave. That's a massive pressure on an unknown and first time Championship coach.

He may know the squad...but the pressures from fans, media, board etc now sit firmly at his feet.

Decision making becomes more focussed and magnified...which often leads to decisions being made differently to when the focus and pressure for points is off.

I for one won't be expecting much from next season. If we achieve it will be an unexpected pleasure....not something expected.

I really hope fans don't put pressure on DH if we are bottom half first couple if months, because that's what I expect... especially looking at those fixtures.

33 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

How can anyone take such predictions seriously? Squads haven't been finalised and a ball has yet to be kicked in anger. Bonkers! 

I suppose you keep to the old: minted, relegated teams near the top, tin pot promoted teams at the bottom, and Brentford to do well and Bristol City to do meh'd-table, and you won't be far wrong (or get enough right to distract from what you get wrong).

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

I rarely disagree with your posts Spudski but I do on this one.

To me LJ had run out of steam. His tendency to tinker with the stating 11 not only frustrated the players but the fans as well. His tactics and formations changes didn’t help either. He reached the stage where he became too worried about getting beaten.

Deano has experience of the Championship, knows the current squad and has brought in two experienced assistants who will undoubtedly bring that breath of fresh air that’s so desperately needed, particularly to the training sessions at Failand.

I have a strong feeling that Deano will do a decent job. He’s already said that he wants to excite us fans and that must mean attacking football - something we rarely saw under either of the Johnsons.

I’m cautiously optimistic about this upcoming season.

Wow, I agree with you for once. I expect the days of over concern about the opposition instead of being positive and making them worry about us are gone.

I'd rather get relegated trying to win games over staying up with the dull, boring, totally negative way of the last two years.

4 hours ago, spudski said:

I frankly can't understand the reasoning to think DH would do as well as LJ considering his less experience. And just because he has two new Coaches as assistants is an unknown.

We are back to square one imo.

No disrespect to DH.

But if the owner/board expect DH to match or better LJ this season, then I think they are being totally unfair on DH.

I see this coming season as another of consolidation and bringing those who've been loaned out through and giving them a go...Moore, Walsh, Vyner, Morrell etc etc

Another season of consolidation, how many more for gods sake I can't be the only one that's sick of that phrase, surely the owners realise eventually the fans will run out of patience I know I have.

7 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

https://blog.betvictor.com/en-gb/sports/football/championship/championship-season-preview-1-24/

Saw this one earlier. Only read our bit but thought was decent enough. The guy who wrote it may be familiar to some who are on twitter. Has us 11th

Well that’s a more thoughtful read.

Id take that if it saw our young talent continue to grow and develop.

11 hours ago, spudski said:

I agree we looked better in those games, but no more so than any team that's struggled and had the bounce effect after a new person has taken over.

I'm surprised you expect a top 6 challenge Dave. That's a massive pressure on an unknown and first time Championship coach.

He may know the squad...but the pressures from fans, media, board etc now sit firmly at his feet.

Decision making becomes more focussed and magnified...which often leads to decisions being made differently to when the focus and pressure for points is off.

I for one won't be expecting much from next season. If we achieve it will be an unexpected pleasure....not something expected.

I really hope fans don't put pressure on DH if we are bottom half first couple if months, because that's what I expect... especially looking at those fixtures.

I’m with you. I think mid-table would be an acceptable season for DH. 
I’m not convinced the squad is all that special and it is not balanced (yet). 
I’ve a horrible feeling there’s a disconnect between reality, what’s been said to the fans and what the goals realistically are.
I hope, for his sake, DH hasn’t been told “play offs or bust”. That would be unrealistic for his first season.... and yet that’s what has been “suggested” to us fans... but then remember we’ve had other things stated to us (breath of fresh air, promotion etc) that aren’t necessarily true. 
I reckon anything better than a relegation battle and DH will be allowed to continue... in fact that’ll be the case until we’re in a place where post-COVID finances are clearer. Stand by for the messaging to move from “best fit for the job” to “learning, improving, time to build his team...”. I actually think that’s fair.... but it’s not what we’ve been fed.  
A bumpy ride ahead I’m afraid should we drop from playoff chasers. 

7 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

https://blog.betvictor.com/en-gb/sports/football/championship/championship-season-preview-1-24/

Saw this one earlier. Only read our bit but thought was decent enough. The guy who wrote it may be familiar to some who are on twitter. Has us 11th

Nice to read a piece by someone who actually appears to have watched us and knows a bit about our squad.

3 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I’ve a horrible feeling there’s a disconnect between reality, what’s been said to the fans and what the goals realistically are.
I hope, for his sake, DH hasn’t been told “play offs or bust”. That would be unrealistic for his first season.... and yet that’s what has been “suggested” to us fans... but then remember we’ve had other things stated to us (breath of fresh air, promotion etc) that aren’t necessarily true. 
I reckon anything better than a relegation battle and DH will be allowed to continue... in fact that’ll be the case until we’re in a place where post-COVID finances are clearer. Stand by for the messaging to move from “best fit for the job” to “learning, improving, time to build his team...”. I actually think that’s fair.... but it’s not what we’ve been fed.  

Many of us realise that anything coming from the mouth of the Owner, CEO and Chairman is more likely than not complete and utter horse shite. If Ashton or Lansdown tell me that we are looking to achieve promotion with the current squad and set up then they go even further down in my estimations than they already are and there isn't much further to drop tbh.

People need to stop this "Stevie said......." and "Ashton said....." bullshit and make up their own minds on what we can achieve based on the inexperience of the management team and the lack of real quality in the squad. It is literally there for all to see and ignoring it because the Owner is a bullshitter on national radio doesn't change anything.

If Holden gets us a mid-table finish with the current squad then he certainly deserves a further crack at the job next season.

15 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

People need to stop this "Stevie said......." and "Ashton said....." bullshit and make up their own minds on what we can achieve based on the inexperience of the management team and the lack of real quality in the squad. It is literally there for all to see and ignoring it because the Owner is a bullshitter on national radio doesn't change anything.

If Holden gets us a mid-table finish with the current squad then he certainly deserves a further crack at the job next season.

It’s the old adage of ‘cake and eat it’ as far as SL is concerned. He wants access to the riches of the PL but isn’t prepared to buy promotion as some other clubs have done.

As for Deano I’m more than willing to give him a chance and I’m cautiously optimistic that he’ll do a decent job. 
That said I had the same attitude when LJ was appointed...............:cool2:

12 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly, and I’m going to keep pedantically mentioning this all season if we’re outside top 6.

I really want Holden to do well, but the board should’ve been honest about expectation management if they’re not really expecting playoffs. They haven’t indicated expectations have changed, so I’ll expect top 6.

We will no doubt hear from SL before the new season starts, probably an interview with Twentyman, and I fully expect him to water down expectations for the season. 

If he doesn't, it is frankly cruel on DH. 

I’d like to think we’d be able to finish in mid table again; I’m certainly not expecting huge things from a rookie head coach with a shortened off season but I personally believe we have a reasonable group if players for this level.

I’m mainly interested in seeing what DH does different on the pitch. The consistency of line up and attacking style we played end of last season hopefully is a part of it, and frankly I’d take lower midtable if we started being more expansive and got a bunch of the younger players involved.

So long as relegation is never a real threat I’m happy if we can start showing progress towards a different style.

19 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We will no doubt hear from SL before the new season starts, probably an interview with Twentyman, and I fully expect him to water down expectations for the season. 

If he doesn't, it is frankly cruel on DH. 

That’s what I’d imagine too. He’ll inevitable cite uncertainty due to covid. As you say, if he doesn’t it makes Holden’s job so much harder. The board have already made it unnecessarily harder.

10 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Nice to read a piece by someone who actually appears to have watched us and knows a bit about our squad.

Gab Sutton and I had an hour zoom call to discuss about 10 days ago.

I think by and large his predictions aren’t a million miles away.  

15 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly, and I’m going to keep pedantically mentioning this all season if we’re outside top 6.

I really want Holden to do well, but the board should’ve been honest about expectation management if they’re not really expecting playoffs. They haven’t indicated expectations have changed, so I’ll expect top 6.

I've said this elsewhere but Holden doesn't strike me as the kind of person to make excuses and cite inexperience if things go wrong and I'm not about to start doing it on his behalf. The board have talked about top six, and we're talking about it once they knew the circumstances with COVID, so top six has to be the expectation the head coach, Ashton and the board are measured on , even if SL starts trying to walk it back in retrospect.

In terms of what I think will happen, I don't believe we will be as low as 17th simply because I believe we have some very decent players at this level and I think that the one thing Holden will do will be to set them up in an organised system. And organised teams of decent players tend to be okay in this division. 

I think the prediction of 11th feels about right. If we play some decent football and bring some young players through then I might be okay with that, all things considered. 

29 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I've said this elsewhere but Holden doesn't strike me as the kind of person to make excuses and cite inexperience if things go wrong and I'm not about to start doing it on his behalf. The board have talked about top six, and we're talking about it once they knew the circumstances with COVID, so top six has to be the expectation the head coach, Ashton and the board are measured on , even if SL starts trying to walk it back in retrospect.

In terms of what I think will happen, I don't believe we will be as low as 17th simply because I believe we have some very decent players at this level and I think that the one thing Holden will do will be to set them up in an organised system. And organised teams of decent players tend to be okay in this division. 

I think the prediction of 11th feels about right. If we play some decent football and bring some young players through then I might be okay with that, all things considered. 

That’s pretty much where I am with it. My realistic expectation for us is upper-mid table, blooding young players and playing attractive football. Just enough to get us through Covid. I’d be content with that personally - BUT, as we recognise, public board expectations are the issue. 

3 hours ago, Mendip City said:

I really do think DH was put in charge partly because of the Covid problem, and the uncertainty with everything that revolves around that and finances.

Any new manager from outside would I'm sure have wanted to buy and sell....and do it his way to make a mark.

The additions of the two assistants imo reinforces the fact that the Club want to work with what we have and develop further the fringe players. 

Maybe it would have been different under normal circumstances.

As for what the Club says...it's a business. It's all about making a positive vibe to attract potential sponsors and more money. They would never be honest and say what they really expect... because that won't attract anyone.

So I take what they say with a pinch of salt.

1 hour ago, Galway Red said:

Considering our results but more importantly standard of performance since Xmas I think 17th is ambitious, luckily a poor Sheff wed'with minus 12 & Wycombe are around so we should have enough to survive, hopefully DH and a couple of decent signings will surprise us me.

Sorry, but not everyone agrees with that so had to fix it.

We currently have virtually the same squad as last season, especially if Diedhiou and Eliasson stay and Pereira re-joins us. So no reason to assume we will be anywhere near relegation imo. Holden stopped the rot with his 5 games in charge and I liked the cohesion of his teams compared to what went before him. 

As you say, a couple of decent signings would give us a better chance of finishing higher than last time (provided the medicals are carried out properly and we don't sign someone who is crocked). 

I can see a top half finish.

19 hours ago, spudski said:

I frankly can't understand the reasoning to think DH would do as well as LJ considering his less experience. And just because he has two new Coaches as assistants is an unknown.

We are back to square one imo.

No disrespect to DH.

But if the owner/board expect DH to match or better LJ this season, then I think they are being totally unfair on DH.

I see this coming season as another of consolidation and bringing those who've been loaned out through and giving them a go...Moore, Walsh, Vyner, Morrell etc etc

I see your logic, but don't understand why LJ would be sacked if they felt his successor would be worse. There is no benefit there. I can only assume they think DH has the potential to do better, and they expect him to maintain at least what we've seen in the last two seasons. I'm not saying I agree, but it seems the only logical assessment of their actions.

47 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I see your logic, but don't understand why LJ would be sacked if they felt his successor would be worse. There is no benefit there. I can only assume they think DH has the potential to do better, and they expect him to maintain at least what we've seen in the last two seasons. I'm not saying I agree, but it seems the only logical assessment of their actions.

I honestly don't believe they had DH in mind to take over full-time when they sacked LJ.

I think it's been a culmination of he did ok as caretaker, covid continued to create more uncertainty financially and other people interviewed didn't seem financially viable under the present circumstances.

The one year rolling contract also imo, points in that direction.

I think they chose DH as the best option for the circumstances we are presently in...no other reason.

Archived