IGNORED

Baker

Hampshire reds

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Last year of his contract, highly unlikely that he will get another unless there is a drastic improvement in his availability record.

Even then as a top five earner it is doubtful that he is cost effective.

Yeah agreed. His wage could be used more widely.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Even if he weren't to get injured every game then for me he isn't really the right type as he's so bad at passing and hoofs it too much, and hoofs it badly.

I'd love it if we could sell or loan out and bring in 2 more better suited.

I know, very unlikely. 

I'd be careful what you wish for though. I believe that Taylor Moore and Zak Vyner, although young will have a lot more mistakes in them this season than Bakes.

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Even if he weren't to get injured every game then for me he isn't really the right type as he's so bad at passing and hoofs it too much, and hoofs it badly.

I know, very unlikely. 

I would look at the movement in front of him first. One of City’s biggest issues imo. COYR 

I saw a thread on here at some point last season outlining the number of games that Baker had gone off injured having started the match.

As I recall the stats were horrendous an at one stage LJ mentioned Bakers inability to complete a game and what difficulties that led to in terms of the subs bench. He had the same issues at Villa.

Seems he’s at it again...........:cool2:

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I know, very unlikely. 

The annoying part is he's demonstrated he's actually very good at playing out from the back and picking good forward passes, Nottingham Forest back end of the season was a prime example.

9 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Given the frequency of his injuries part of the new sponsorship deal involved personal transport for NB to be transported from the field of play. 

A0B1E2AF-ED0A-4287-ABD6-76F3E3589F65.jpeg

I really don’t understand why this picture made me laugh but there you go 

Just now, TomF said:

All in his head, needs to see a psychologist 

Also all in his head due to the large amount of concussions he's had.

I actually don't like watching him play because it worries me every time he goes down clutching his head.

We 100% need a left sided CB, and it can't be Ashley Williams!

48 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I know, very unlikely. 

"Every game" is a dumb comment.

45 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Last year of his contract, highly unlikely that he will get another unless there is a drastic improvement in his availability record.

His "availability record" is actually very good. How many games has he actually missed through injury? I can't find any definitive information either way but considering he made 33 starts last season in the league and 34 2 seasons ago (one in between was 8 but we had webster and kalas) I dont think his availability is an issue.

33 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I saw a thread on here at some point last season outlining the number of games that Baker had gone off injured having started the match.

As I recall the stats were horrendous an at one stage LJ mentioned Bakers inability to complete a game and what difficulties that led to in terms of the subs bench. He had the same issues at Villa.

Seems he’s at it again...........:cool2:

I also recall you posting you couldn't remember the last time he'd completed 90 minutes just a couple of days after his 10th successive 90 minutes.

Define "horrendous" ? Went off 3 times with injury last season in 33 starts, 2 "tactical" subs and 28 full 90s

Season before he had 8 full 90s out of 12 starts, but we were lucky to have Webster and Kalas available almost all season.

17/18 had 34 starts and went off early twice.

So yes, it seems like NB picks up the occasional knock in a game that he can't shake off but from what I can see and remember doesn't spend lengthy periods out injured (happy to be proved wrong). He puts his body on the line, it's enivitble that he'll pick up knocks, I prefer that to shirking a challenge.

All that said, I think we can upgrade and improve as his distribution isn't the best. He's a very good defender but he is limited, I just think it's ridiculous that we have this discussion every time he picks up a knock. 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

You have to ask yourself whether you can bring in someone better for the same wages first!

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Yeah agreed. His wage could be used more widely.

According to Kid he’s on £17k per week.

Just ignoring injuries for the moment., he had a decent season just gone.

18/19 he had to play second fiddle to Kalas and Webster.

In 17/18, he had a decent season too, Flint got lots of plaudits, but I still think Flint is a selfish CB, focused on his game only, everyone else to fit in with what he does, including the RB playing so narrow, because of Flint’s lack of pace on the turn, or Wright having to play LCB.  Flint was decent, but not as good as people thought.

6517F7F4-5907-470A-8AE9-BCDA7B0E047D.thumb.jpeg.cf3f21d156816a9be62caea8c5b64a9f.jpeg

Generally he has played a good chunk of games each season. 17/18 contained a 3 game suspension too.

The question marks are more the injuries in game, rather than injuries keeping him from being selected...which are bloody frustrating.

As it stands he is more than likely first choice LCB in a 3, unless Holden suddenly plumps for Vyner and Moore either side of Kalas.

If we bring someone in who’s better then we can review Baker’s contract situation.  If Holden believes he is his main man at LCB he should be looking to tie him down beyond next summer.

Its a leap of faith to be confident you can get better than Baker for less money....unless going down the loan route.  Clarke and Guehi have been sorted, looks like Kipre is off to West Brom. 

38 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

"Every game" is a dumb comment.

His "availability record" is actually very good. How many games has he actually missed through injury? I can't find any definitive information either way but considering he made 33 starts last season in the league and 34 2 seasons ago (one in between was 8 but we had webster and kalas) I dont think his availability is an issue.

I also recall you posting you couldn't remember the last time he'd completed 90 minutes just a couple of days after his 10th successive 90 minutes.

Define "horrendous" ? Went off 3 times with injury last season in 33 starts, 2 "tactical" subs and 28 full 90s

Season before he had 8 full 90s out of 12 starts, but we were lucky to have Webster and Kalas available almost all season.

17/18 had 34 starts and went off early twice.

So yes, it seems like NB picks up the occasional knock in a game that he can't shake off but from what I can see and remember doesn't spend lengthy periods out injured (happy to be proved wrong). He puts his body on the line, it's enivitble that he'll pick up knocks, I prefer that to shirking a challenge.

All that said, I think we can upgrade and improve as his distribution isn't the best. He's a very good defender but he is limited, I just think it's ridiculous that we have this discussion every time he picks up a knock. 

Top post this! I'll only add that imo people quickly forget he was our best central defender last season and for me was only second to Fam for our player of the season. Genuinely think he's one of the best centre defenders in the league. Obviously several are much better on the ball but as a pure defender I think he's right up there. It's crazy talk imo to look to move him on and renewing his contract would be one of my top priorities if I was DH. 

We do need another LCB to challenge / as back up this window but for me that would be in addition to Baker not as a direct replacement.

Archived