IGNORED

Baker

Hampshire reds

1 minute ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Yes possibly rumours now williams the new signing out for twelve weeks something not right 

Players get injured in training at every club Rob. Most, if not all have  5 or 6 a side games and full matches to implement certain shapes or formations. 

Eddie Jones the England rugby coach has been criticised for using full on rugby play at training and his response was ‘training has to be as close to real matches as possible’

Same applies in football.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I understand that the lad is a pure destroyer but just perhaps he could adjust his game slightly to avoid the number of injuries he gets without losing his combative play . 

He is no good to anyone on the sidelines.

Nathan Breaker. 

I think he has matured his game.  The yellow card count has gone down, no red card for 2 1/2 years.

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Exactly, worth bearing in mind he wasn’t unavailable in 18-19 he had Kalas and Webster infront of him who amassed over 40 appearances each.

The games he’s missed he’s mostly been an unused sub.

Id be happy if anyone could find any actual information on how many games he’s missed because of injury. It’s well documented that he has come off early a few times after some robust challenges (a couple of concussions too so not his fault) but I don’t recall him have any time out through injury?

I’ve had a shocker there, I couldn’t get my head round the word as I was typing and autocorrect didn’t pick it up ? normally quite good with spelling!

8CB30849-5374-4722-BA92-74E26FCD24F1.thumb.jpeg.b14a8bdab81a09fd68797c892dc6eeb2.jpeg

So he actually missed 5 games (out of 49) last season.

The issue isn’t missing games....it’s coming off in games and in some respects he may actually be doing the right thing, to save longer term injury.

A couple of the games he came off through injury were head clash (Hull) and being pole-axed by Kamara (Fulham).

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

That is very similar to what I’ve heard, he was pretty much our top earner when he signed & now is still in the top 5.

I think that sort of wage in a Covid wage market would definitely attract someone as good. As an example Van Der Hoorn, mentioned by many on here was apparently on £15k a week last season...

The economic effect of the pandemic isn’t going to end with this season, there will be loads of Championship standard players on wages their clubs want to reduce in 2021.

Two other points, availability record isn’t simply about starting games, coming off in the first half (or in 2 games post lockdown in the first and 26th minute) is poor. Anyone can be unlucky once, but not 17 times..

Final point, this “he gets stuck in” stuff, it was a friendly for ****’s sake, doing so as he and Ashley Williams memorably did in away wins at QPR & Reading is one thing, this is brainless.

I would happily let his contract expire as I would with Hunt, but for different reasons..

What’s been reported?  Did he recklessly go in for a challenge, or did someone go in recklessly on him? ??‍♂️

It is not good to see him come off, that is a problem (not all in his control though), but he missed less than Kalas last season, who is classed as a warrior because he played through injury, rushed himself back.

When on the pitch he’s been as good as any other of the 3 experienced CBs (him plus Williams and Kalas), I’d probably say better.  Definitely more consistent.

We have to wait and see if we bring anyone in and who...are they one for the future, or an upgrade.  That may dictate his future.

Its possible in this climate to offer him the security of an extended deal, but lower his wages.

I think Baker did well when he played last season but, being practical, I'm not convinced we could get Baker off the wage bill even if we wanted to. We'd need another club to take over his contract, even if we weren't paying a fee, and I imagine he is on a decent whack.

Maybe, in the circumstances, having Moore, Kalas and a new LCB as first choice with Baker and Vyner in reserve and Williams on a playing coaching contract on a "just in case" basis is the most practical solution...

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think he has matured his game.  The yellow card count has gone down, no red card for 2 1/2 years.

8CB30849-5374-4722-BA92-74E26FCD24F1.thumb.jpeg.b14a8bdab81a09fd68797c892dc6eeb2.jpeg

So he actually missed 5 games (out of 49) last season.

The issue isn’t missing games....it’s coming off in games and in some respects he may actually be doing the right thing, to save longer term injury.

A couple of the games he came off through injury were head clash (Hull) and being pole-axed by Kamara (Fulham).

What’s been reported?  Did he recklessly go in for a challenge, or did someone go in recklessly on him? ??‍♂️

It is not good to see him come off, that is a problem (not all in his control though), but he missed less than Kalas last season, who is classed as a warrior because he played through injury, rushed himself back.

When on the pitch he’s been as good as any other of the 3 experienced CBs (him plus Williams and Kalas), I’d probably say better.  Definitely more consistent.

We have to wait and see if we bring anyone in and who...are they one for the future, or an upgrade.  That may dictate his future.

Its possible in this climate to offer him the security of an extended deal, but lower his wages.

I spotted those 5 games, it’s possible the first game was a knock?

The 4 at Xmas came either side of full 90 minutes and after a run of starts. The first game he missed he was an unused sub then 4 unselected.

With LJs selections it’s hard to tell without remembering whether he was unavailable or just not picked. We only had 1 defender on the bench, 2 games for Bailey Wright and 2 for Taylor Moore

Agree that him coming off early wastes a sub but a lot of people are mentioning his “availability” which isn’t an issue. Could argue that him come off early causes us issues and uses a sub, sometimes early, but it’s rare enough compared to how many good games he has that it’s not a major issue.

Going forward I probably wouldn’t renew his contract and would look to upgrade though

5 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

We have problems - throughout the squad. Clearly. Good luck, Deano.

There’s a few but one of them was the constant rotation of players IMO. I’ve never known a team where the fans couldn’t predict at least the core 5/6 starting 11 each week

22 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Could argue that him come off early causes us issues and uses a sub, sometimes early, but it’s rare enough compared to how many good games he has that it’s not a major issue.

What is the situation for subs this season? Are we back down to three? If it's still five then accomodating Baker isn't so bad.

On 28/08/2020 at 10:16, Robbored said:

Players get injured in training at every club Rob. Most, if not all have  5 or 6 a side games and full matches to implement certain shapes or formations. 

Eddie Jones the England rugby coach has been criticised for using full on rugby play at training and his response was ‘training has to be as close to real matches as possible’

Same applies in football.

No but we do have a habbit of signing players injured Hadalukin watkins now williams the Hull bloke was not match fit hope its not twelve weeks as mentioned .

On 28/08/2020 at 13:29, Moments of Pleasure said:

We have problems - throughout the squad. Clearly. Good luck, Deano.

Fair to say that Brownhill’s sale skews this, he was on course as usual to play 40+ full games for us when he was sold. Additionally had Ashley Williams played from the start, even with his 2 suspensions he would have been above Baker.

LJ’s tactics were another factor, certain players (Hunt & Moore in particular) seemed to be pre ordained subs, so had very few opportunities to play 90 minutes.

One advantage of a smaller squad should be more consistency in team selection, injures permitting.

Just now, Jerseybean said:

Wishing Bakes all the best will be tough to be out until Christmas.

Last year of his contract as well, I know we extended Smith by a season but covid financial hit and being on bigger wages wouldn't be surprised if we didn't extended Baker's by a year

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Last year of his contract as well, I know we extended Smith by a season but covid financial hit and being on bigger wages wouldn't be surprised if we didn't extended Baker's by a year

Might depend on what happens with a Mawson, wonder if it’s going to be a loan with an option to buy?

1 minute ago, Jerseybean said:

Might depend on what happens with a Mawson, wonder if it’s going to be a loan with an option to buy?

Would be great business if Ashton works an option in there, however realistically I think Fulham would view him as an option incase they come down again.

Never understood why clubs stick with injury prone players, it throws plans in to chaos.

He’ll come back and I’d almost Guarantee it’ll flair up again in his first game back and he’ll need an extra few weeks. Hopefully the first choice three will stay fit and escape suspension but it’s a big ask with mawson and Kalas’ recent luck. 

4 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Never understood why clubs stick with injury prone players, it throws plans in to chaos.

He’ll come back and I’d almost Guarantee it’ll flair up again in his first game back and he’ll need an extra few weeks. Hopefully the first choice three will stay fit and escape suspension but it’s a big ask with mawson and Kalas’ recent luck. 

Yeah - not convinced we can get through to Christmas with Kalas, Moore, Vyner and Mawson (if Mawson signs). Rowe is covering left wing back too as it stands, and I'd rather him doing that, but think - if there is a financial way of doing it - we need to find another centre-back in addition to Mawson. 

Hamstring injuries can be a long term problem but I'm sure Baker will get the best treatment and rehab.

Realistically - and before this injury I stated that on here that I suspected he would only have worse injuries as time wore on, not that I expected it so soon - Baker will be too much of a risk for us to offer a new contract.

I said I was willing for his contract to run down, and now I predict that will happen.

Tough times for the player, and I hope he recovers well.

2 hours ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Because they have contracts to honour?

Baker rarely misses a game through injury, just the occasional early substitution. Obviously he’s now had a bad one and will miss some game time. I think we need to upgrade, but I’m sure once he’s fit he’ll be back to 99% availability again

42 minutes ago, TBW said:

Think his time is up here. Most injury prone player we've got. If he's not out he's getting subbed off before half-time anyway.

It still baffles me that there’s this perception he’s constantly unavailable ? 

I agree his time is probably up after his contract runs out but I think it’s harsh and quite disrespectful to NB that some will label him this constantly injured liability during his time here when he’s actually been one of the best CBs we’ve had.

I need to ignore this thread I think, not sure why it bothers me so much ?

Archived