IGNORED

Loan Watch 2020/21 season

Garycpos

18 hours ago, RedRoss said:

Great first touch from Jonny from a long ball and compusure! Sublime!

I may be laughed at for saying this, but I've watched this back several times and the touch, the  instant control, the way he drifts inside, dummies to shoot, delays, shifts the ball further to the left and then calmly places it... Remind you of anyone? I thought it very reminiscent of Jay Emmanuel Thomas - and I can't think of much higher praise then that in terms of pure skill. And agree, the composure is remarkable.

22 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

I may be laughed at for saying this, but I've watched this back several times and the touch, the  instant control, the way he drifts inside, dummies to shoot, delays, shifts the ball further to the left and then calmly places it... Remind you of anyone? I thought it very reminiscent of Jay Emmanuel Thomas - and I can't think of much higher praise then that in terms of pure skill. And agree, the composure is remarkable.

It was a superb piece of control, it reminded me a little of that Messi goal in the world cup in that, he used it to drop the ball in just the right place. It's interesting though how people react to his control compared to say, Jack Hunt who is not as popular, but showed some great touches when taking long passes yesterday.

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It was a superb piece of control, it reminded me a little of that Messi goal in the world cup in that, he used it to drop the ball in just the right place. It's interesting though how people react to his control compared to say, Jack Hunt who is not as popular, but showed some great touches when taking long passes yesterday.

I really have no idea why Hunt is so maligned. Just another example, I suppose, of typical, almost random OTIB targeting of individual players by a minority of posters. He's a more than adequate Championship wing-back (though I do tend to agree with the widely held view that he's perhaps a little less comfortable as an orthodox RB).

I also agree with what you say about his performance yesterday, and would go further and say he does this routinely. On most occasions we've seen him play - and that's quite a lot now - his first touch has been consistently good. I've rarely if ever seen him fail to control a pass. The fact that he brings the ball down smoothly and quickly gives him an extra split second to get his head up and pick a pass or cross, which again he does consistently well.

Some people seem to slag him off as a matter of course. It's ridiculously unfair. He'll do for me. I've seen a hell of a lot worse at RB for City over the years.   

20 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

I really have no idea why Hunt is so maligned

Because , sadly, amongst our loyal fans there are some right numpties who wouldn’t recognise a good player if he had just received the Golden Boot , European Player of the year and was wearing a shirt with flashing lights spelling out ‘ I’m a good player ‘ on it. 

On 06/09/2020 at 12:14, CliftonCliff said:

For me it reminded me of Murray in his heyday. 

Hey guys, hope you have a good season. I've not posted in here for a few years. Onura Edwards seems a really good prospect, Ian Holloway said tonight "Sometimes I'm glad I'm retired when you see  players (Edwards) like that with all that skill, you know I've just got to thank Bristol City, I love him to bits, he's got all sorts of bits and pieces that are really really exciting and Brian Tinnion came all the way up to watch him tonight, and I I'm sure he will like some of my own young players who played tonight.......

Harrogate had 7 players from their promotion winning team in the starting line up, Grimsby Town had 9 players who are new, a mixture of mainly youth, academy loan and two young players from non-league.

7 hours ago, Nelly GTFC said:

Hey guys, hope you have a good season. I've not posted in here for a few years. Onura Edwards seems a really good prospect, Ian Holloway said tonight "Sometimes I'm glad I'm retired when you see  players (Edwards) like that with all that skill, you know I've just got to thank Bristol City, I love him to bits, he's got all sorts of bits and pieces that are really really exciting and Brian Tinnion came all the way up to watch him tonight, and I I'm sure he will like some of my own young players who played tonight.......

Harrogate had 7 players from their promotion winning team in the starting line up, Grimsby Town had 9 players who are new, a mixture of mainly youth, academy loan and two young players from non-league.

You’ve just signed another Bristol/local lad too haven’t you....Spokes???

7 hours ago, Nelly GTFC said:

Owura :fear:

Good to hear he's had a good start

Also the lad who scored in the video is 15 for any city fans who didn't know 

On 09/09/2020 at 09:19, bcfc01 said:

Hollowhead thanking City :shocking:

Haha. Getting soft in his old age.

Edwards and Benaryous (sp?) are the ones to watch aren't they. Maybe Britton as well although he's obviously a bit more raw.

Excited to see what Pring does at Pompey as well. Seems like we've got a decent crop now after a little lull since Bryan, Reid and Kelly came through.

3 points and a clean sheet for Cundy.

Grimsby lost 1-0, but Edwards played 90 and is mentioned a few times in the Grimsby match report, mainly for a long shot on 30 mins, and then for winning a free kick on the edge of the box. Seems like he had a decent game despite the result.

Swindon won 3-1 - think Smith played 90, but doesn't look like he was involved in the goals.

Pring an unused sub for Pompey.

Janneh was subbed on at 65 mins, but doesn't seem to have had much impact as Newport drew 1-1 with Scunthorpe.

5 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

he signed a week last Friday and I was waiting for the backlash but it slipped under the radar! He hasn't started yet only come on as a sub 

You`ve got a good one there, he`s getting on a bit now but if you want someone to come on and bang in a late winner he`s your man.

I still say it was shocking the way he was treated at City, it made me embarrassed to be a fan.

23 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

You`ve got a good one there, he`s getting on a bit now but if you want someone to come on and bang in a late winner he`s your man.

I still say it was shocking the way he was treated at City, it made me embarrassed to be a fan.

I can't remember what happened at City so who treated him badly the manager at the time etc? 

As you said he's getting on a bit now but at league one level he should get a few and looking at his goals he scored for Pompey on YouTube he certainly mixes things up from six yard poaching, to headers from crosses, shots from outside the box and a decent penalty taker. The problem at the moment is he was treated poorly by Kenny Jacket and hasn't had a proper pre season so isn't yet match fit 

35 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I can't remember what happened at City so who treated him badly the manager at the time etc? 

As you said he's getting on a bit now but at league one level he should get a few and looking at his goals he scored for Pompey on YouTube he certainly mixes things up from six yard poaching, to headers from crosses, shots from outside the box and a decent penalty taker. The problem at the moment is he was treated poorly by Kenny Jacket and hasn't had a proper pre season so isn't yet match fit 

He wasn`t used anything like how he should have been. He would be on the bench and come on, bang two in, and then be back on the bench or dropped the next week. On the rare occasions he did start he was stuck out wide and then that was used as an excuse for dropping him again. The bloke is a poacher FFS not a bloody winger! He never really got a run in the side despite delivering when called upon and eventually left to go back to Bournemouth. 

He was a very talented player who knew where the net was and could hit a ball harder than anyone I`ve seen at City since Alan Walsh and should have had twice the goals for us that he did.

As you can probably tell, I`m still bitter about how he was treated by us.

Archived