IGNORED

Ebere Eze

BLRed

Hindsight is amazing, isn’t it?

Tell me about the club that knew exactly how every player would develop?

Remember watching Bolasie (we paid £20k for him, no one else took a punt) I thought he was like a headless chicken, not half the player Albert was.

We sold him to Palace for £350k & I was truly amazed, we then got an incredible £5m in a sell on when he joined Everton.

Anyone who says they thought he was a £30m player when he was with us is a liar.

4 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

From former player Jake Andrews twitter, Eze came on loan to our u-23’s and wasn’t offered a deal..... ? a serious failing of recruitment right there!

I’m sure players slip through the net at every club. We regularly hear of players that failed to impress at one club but go elsewhere and do well. Maybe that’s what happened with Eze...........:dunno:

Just now, WirralRobin said:

Here's the tweet. Another one that got away it seems......

What a player he is already and has only just turned 22! Really good signing for Palace

image.thumb.png.6ec6be6b0cf04750f759ad508d668a73.png

It’s very easy to look critically at our own club. We’ve signed lots of players over the years that other teams would want. It’s just the nature of the sport. We won’t get everything right.

Maybe Eze genuinely wasn’t good enough at the time and has improved. 

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s very easy to look critically at our own club. We’ve signed lots of players over the years that other teams would want. It’s just the nature of the sport. We won’t get everything right.

Maybe Eze genuinely wasn’t good enough at the time and has improved. 

Doesn’t fit the OPs agenda, though..

15 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

From former player Jake Andrews twitter, Eze came on loan to our u-23’s and wasn’t offered a deal..... ? a serious failing of recruitment right there!

Eze was on trial with us after being released by Millwall, but he wasn’t the type of busy bee LJ craved. Swansea and Sunderland also turned him down.

42 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

À club can’t sign every player they look at . 

May be the lad fluffed his lines on his big moment. 

He could have just gone to the right club at the right time and developed nicely.

You can’t beat the club with this stick . 

Can you really be that naive Major, you just sit back and watch them.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

À club can’t sign every player they look at . 

May be the lad fluffed his lines on his big moment. 

He could have just gone to the right club at the right time and developed nicely.

You can’t beat the club with this stick . 

Happens to us all Major ?

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Remember watching Bolasie (we paid £20k for him, no one else took a punt) I thought he was like a headless chicken, not half the player Albert was.

We sold him to Palace for £350k & I was truly amazed, we then got an incredible £5m in a sell on when he joined Everton.

Anyone who says they thought he was a £30m player when he was with us is a liar.

It always amazes me how often people use the occasional success story like this to beat the club up about recruitment. 

Every club in the land has the exact same stories of players that have passed through and been rejected before hitting the big time. 

Would love to see some stats on the % of players we’ve passed on and it turned out to be the correct call, I’d imagine it’s a completely overwhelming majority. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I’m sure players slip through the net at every club. We regularly hear of players that failed to impress at one club but go elsewhere and do well. Maybe that’s what happened with Eze...........:dunno:

Eze done Robbo

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Indeed. And sometimes a club or a squad just seems right for a particular player where others aren't. 

I always think of Basso: legendary for us (and arguably genuinely warrants the use of that over-used word), certainly one of the best keepers I can remember us having, yet never really did it anywhere before or after us as far as I'm aware.

At academy level a player on trial needs to show a significant improvement over what you have already, you don't bring someone in because they could be alright, so if his trial was only average I'm not surprised by clubs passing on him. In terms of not being offered something by Millwall just unfortunate for him that he landed there after Arsenal, other clubs in that area he'd probably have offered him a pro, but good that its all worked out for him.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

The summer we sold him I went to watch an open training session at Ashton Gate. Left saying that Bolasie was by far our best player. Was extremely disappointed when we sold him soon after. 

Having said that I can’t argue with the £30m point, a ridiculous amount!

Going to happen. 

Unfortunately, we do seem to be getting into some bad habits on the recruitment front what with Ollie Watkins, the utterly bizarre contract extension for CoD and the very weird strategy of buying players and loaning them out to the final year of their contracts. 

For much of last couple of seasons we've looked like a bunch of strangers thrown together with no idea what to do. I’m sure our recruitment/player development strategy has something to do with this.

Anyhows, breath of fresh air and all that. Just unfortunate we’ve recruited an injured player and seem to be chasing one of last seasons player who is another ‘one for the future’. Oh and it sounds like we’ve just loaned Smith in the final year of his contract to Swindon!

Let’s hope it’s not new manager, same old City. 

Archived