IGNORED

Jonny Smith out on loan again

Gillies Downs Leeds

1 minute ago, swindon fan said:

I think it’s a loan with a view to purchase

That would require an extended contract being signed now, wouldn't really make sense being out of contract in 12 months. The only way I can see it is if Swindon have said we can't afford a fee right now but we want to secure him so loan with mandatory purchase at the end, 12 month extension to current deal so a fee would be paid next summer instead of now.

Just now, Major Isewater said:

This lad seems really promising. He has been fantastic whilst out on loan and I am a little disappointed not to have had the chance to see him in a City shirt .

I trust the club know what they’re doing and he either goes for a fee or signs a new contract at the Gate .

This is the problem with modern football as clubs have too many players on their books and have to loan them out which stops them getting games in the cup matches. Your guys obviously don't see him as championship material rights now and how long do you wait as he's already 23 and it's probably better for all parties concerned that he moves on so that he can get his short career going and you get some money for the time invested in him  

1 minute ago, onlyotib said:

Didn’t bobby Reid keep getting deal after deal and eventually done good

But if you use Bobby Reid as an example for everyone, you then end up with players who are nearly 24 like Connor Lemonheigh-Evans leaving to play in non league having never featured in a FL game in their entire career.

At some point as with Baldwin, Wollacott & as we have just done with Rory Holden, you have to move on.

2 minutes ago, onlyotib said:

Point being you can't treat everyone like Bobby, he was 24 at the start of the season he came good, I can understand keeping some lads around until they're 23 but after that really you need to be ready for 1st team football. Bobby was set to be released by Cotts when he was sacked, LJ arriving is what kept him at the club.

4 minutes ago, onlyotib said:

“Late Developer” Reid at 22 1/2 was featuring 30 times in City’s Championship season.

At 23 1/2 was featuring 35 times.

This makes Jonny a later developer than Bobby!!!

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Point being you can't treat everyone like Bobby, he was 24 at the start of the season he came good, I can understand keeping some lads around until they're 23 but after that really you need to be ready for 1st team football. Bobby was set to be released by Cotts when he was sacked, LJ arriving is what kept him at the club.

There’s coming good (16/17) and there’s being part of a squad for 2 seasons prior.

15 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

If we sell and he tears up League 1, we should cover ourselves by inserting a buy back clause in the contract perhaps ?

Can just see him smashing it and then Brentford pick him up next Summer for 2 million ?

He will be a city legend if he scores a hatrick against the Gas?

12 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Another to complete his loans and actually excell at all of them ,  to be farmed off without given a crack at the championship.

Can’t give everyone a crack.  The loan rules now are ridiculous. We could give someone a chance and it then be clear they aren’t good enough and then can’t loan them out to a league club till jan 

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Can’t give everyone a crack.  The loan rules now are ridiculous. We could give someone a chance and it then be clear they aren’t good enough and then can’t loan them out to a league club till jan 

I agree but after countless successful loans he deserves his chance , if not what message does it send to others ?

3 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

I agree but after countless successful loans he deserves his chance , if not what message does it send to others ?

There's a big difference between being successful at league 2 level and the championship. What he really needed was a league one loan, if he was successful then then it would be fair to give him a crack at the championship 

35 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

As I’ve said before, I struggle to see him every being top end championship quality. Got lots of Oldham supporting friends who all agree. League one is his level.  And that takes into account that young players improve. 

11 in 32 for them from the wing. Your Oldham mates are a tough crowd. 

8 minutes ago, Colemanballs said:

11 in 32 for them from the wing. Your Oldham mates are a tough crowd. 

Doesn't necessarily mean hes championship quality though? 11 from 32 is a decent ratio but his all round play could be more suited to a league one potential player

If he isn't good enough for this squad at the moment then you have to question if he ever will be.

Over the years countless players have shown glimpses of ability and ultimately gone on to nothing.

Simon Clist, Marc Goodfellow, Wes Burns etc.

At least rather than being stuck in the U23s or reserves (as was), he is now able to say he has over 100 appearances under his belt and rather than going non league or falling out of the pro game altogether, he'll have a chance of earning a living kicking a ball about for the next 8 years.

If he is a late developer then good luck to him, but City can't be expected to keep someone on the books for 7 years on the off chance.

Archived