IGNORED

Jonny Smith out on loan again

Gillies Downs Leeds

23 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Can’t give everyone a crack.  The loan rules now are ridiculous. We could give someone a chance and it then be clear they aren’t good enough and then can’t loan them out to a league club till jan 

I preferred the way squads were run in the 70's & 80's when you had a first team squad 18/20 under 18's then a reserve team that played in the combination league each week so all players would get a game and could be moved between the youth team, reserves or first team depending on form or recovering from injury 

52 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

As I’ve said before, I struggle to see him every being top end championship quality. Got lots of Oldham supporting friends who all agree. League one is his level.  And that takes into account that young players improve. 

Well Jamie Vardy didn’t crack the championship until he was 25. So never say never. I’d like to see how Jonny does at League 1, As the club rejected a bid from Wycombe for him I suspect they want to keep their options open particularly if Eliason or COD move on. I’ve no doubt the club have explained their thinking to him and I suspect he will get a 12 month extension So perhaps a loan till January or a full season loan with a recall option would suit all parties, particularly as Swindon isn’t that far away so easy for the club to monitor. Also I understand Stephen Ireland may sign for Swindon so that may help his football education.

1 minute ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I preferred the way squads were run in the 70's & 80's when you had a first team squad 18/20 under 18's then a reserve team that played in the combination league each week so all players would get a game and could be moved between the youth team, reserves or first team depending on form or recovering from injury 

Doesn't provide much of a pathway though for younger players, it's more a case of 'dead man's shoes'.

3 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Well Jamie Vardy didn’t crack the championship until he was 25. So never say never. I’d like to see how Jonny does at League 1, As the club rejected a bid from Wycombe for him I suspect they want to keep their options open particularly if Eliason or COD move on. I’ve no doubt the club have explained their thinking to him and I suspect he will get a 12 month extension So perhaps a loan till January or a full season loan with a recall option would suit all parties, particularly as Swindon isn’t that far away so easy for the club to monitor. Also I understand Stephen Ireland may sign for Swindon so that may help his football education.

Or his ability to fib!

8 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Correct to never say never and any player can improve but it would be a pretty boring forum without opinions and predictions 

22 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

If he isn't good enough for this squad at the moment then you have to question if he ever will be.

It may be that he isn't good enough for the squad if we are going to stick to one formation (i.e. without wingers). That may not remain the case and things may change as the season progresses. We don't know the terms of the loan, hopefully it's until January or a recall at that point, if things change.

I also think this move means that Eliasson is staying. 

Just now, Port Said Red said:

It may be that he isn't good enough for the squad if we are going to stick to one formation (i.e. without wingers). That may not remain the case and things may change as the season progresses. We don't know the terms of the loan, hopefully it's until January or a recall at that point, if things change.

I also think this move means that Eliasson is staying

I don't think the Smith decision will have any bearing on the Eliasson situation.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

As I’ve said before, I struggle to see him every being top end championship quality. Got lots of Oldham supporting friends who all agree. League one is his level.  And that takes into account that young players improve. 

Pretty sure, over time, you’ve claimed to have mates that cover the entire 92. 

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I also think this move means that Eliasson is staying. 

Spot on ...

3-5-2 does not suit wingers, and there are a few ahead of him, plus any extension to his contract tells you something, and a player like him needs to play. As a few have said he has proved himself at Conference (10 Goals +assists), then League 2 (bit part) 5Goals +assists then League 2 Settled (11 Goals 6 assists) and ended up player of the year and top scorer for Oldham, so it is really going to be interesting to see what they do with Eliasson this year. If there is no current path but the potential of a payday later on it becomes a business decision based on merit with multiple inputs from all the coaching staff.

38 minutes ago, Garycpos said:

Spot on ...

3-5-2 does not suit wingers, and there are a few ahead of him, plus any extension to his contract tells you something, and a player like him needs to play. As a few have said he has proved himself at Conference (10 Goals +assists), then League 2 (bit part) 5Goals +assists then League 2 Settled (11 Goals 6 assists) and ended up player of the year and top scorer for Oldham, so it is really going to be interesting to see what they do with Eliasson this year. If there is no current path but the potential of a payday later on it becomes a business decision based on merit with multiple inputs from all the coaching staff.

We play a high pressing game mainly 433 so I'm sure under Wellens he will excel 

Personally think JS has not got a fair chance here. Thought it was embarrassing he didn’t go on the Florida preseason trip last season. He has produced constantly on each of his loans. I don’t think it will be any different at L1. Think he is a championship player that we have mishandled to an extent. Would rather Smith had a chance at some point last season than us continuing with O’Dowda. I know the 352 doesn’t suit him now so a loan probably better than being used sporadically or not at all here. 

7 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Another to complete his loans and actually excell at all of them ,  to be farmed off without given a crack at the championship.

This kid has a cracking left foot hasn't put a foot wrong out on loan..I just don't get city,Why does it take a player to get to the age of 21 22 23 but we sign a player from France that's 18.. Does this tell you that the academy is working? Are these younger players not ready at 18 and why.. Like with derby didn't really see any of there younger players struggle at championship level.. I know exactly what your saying.

2 minutes ago, Street red said:

This kid has a cracking left foot hasn't put a foot wrong out on loan..I just don't get city,Why does it take a player to get to the age of 21 22 23 but we sign a player from France that's 18.. Does this tell you that the academy is working? Are these younger players not ready at 18 and why.. Like with derby didn't really see any of there younger players struggle at championship level.. I know exactly what your saying.

Most of the time the foreign influx are no better and all they do is stem our own British talent 

33 minutes ago, Street red said:

J.Smith isn’t Academy either, was brought from Wrexham aged 18.

The Academy guys in the first team squad / training with first team are:

Morrell

Vyner

Wollacott

O’Leary

(Semenyo was signed from SGS)

To have four is probably not too bad....but we now want to see 1st team appearances to go alongside dont we.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

J.Smith isn’t Academy either, was brought from Wrexham aged 18.

The Academy guys in the first team squad / training with first team are:

Morrell

Vyner

Wollacott

O’Leary

(Semenyo was signed from SGS)

To have four is probably not too bad....but we now want to see 1st team appearances to go alongside dont we.

Absolutely agreed we do need to see these making appearances,Morrell and O'Leary should of been in the squad alot more than they have,But Smith was 18 and with quality and we signed him, what age is he now? That's nearly 5 years of being out on loan or close to it, For me that's a waste and in that time how many players have we signed and wasted money on.. It doesn't really make a lot of sense and let's see if things change under Holden, It is hard as we are going for premiership football but this is where quality management and coaching comes into play and I don't think we've had it..Maybe we have it now I'm still doubtful but I'm hoping to be proved wrong.

36 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I really hope he does make it with us - I`ve been a fan of his since day one. He`s delivered in all his loans and has really put in the hard yards so deserves a chance IMO.

At least if he`s at Swindon he`s in League 1 and only up the road I suppose.

We've had many good players from you guys over the years who have all done well in the latter stages of their career so let's hope we can bring the best out of Smith then he gets a chance in the championship with you next season or you sell him and make a tidy profit 

13 hours ago, Street red said:

18 from Wrexham and 18 having played in the Champions League are 2 very different standards ?

15 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Personally think JS has not got a fair chance here. Thought it was embarrassing he didn’t go on the Florida preseason trip last season. He has produced constantly on each of his loans. I don’t think it will be any different at L1. Think he is a championship player that we have mishandled to an extent. Would rather Smith had a chance at some point last season than us continuing with O’Dowda. I know the 352 doesn’t suit him now so a loan probably better than being used sporadically or not at all here. 

Agree with all that JD. I believe Johnny  has come good a season to late for us & him here. I would imagine the club looked at him & maybe thought, how does he compare to say someone like Adelakun? Similar age & position to HA whose already tried & tested at L1 but still miles away from our first team.

At 23 JS needs to play regularly too continue his rapid development so if that’s not here then it needs to be elsewhere. Good luck to the kid. 

Not sure of we are playing the most ethical hand here.

Smith, contract extension and on another loan. 

Get the idea that we need to sell to survive (as do most clubs), but harvesting players, loaning them out and then moving them on, just because 'we' can afford to pay a few quid a week more than a non-league/league two/league one side - are we not just denying one of these clubs the chance to develop and then profit from developing the player, seems like we'll be the beneficial owners of the hard work of someone else.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Not sure of we are playing the most ethical hand here.

Smith, contract extension and on another loan. 

Get the idea that we need to sell to survive (as do most clubs), but harvesting players, loaning them out and then moving them on, just because 'we' can afford to pay a few quid a week more than a non-league/league two/league one side - are we not just denying one of these clubs the chance to develop and then profit from developing the player, seems like we'll be the beneficial owners of the hard work of someone else.

Welcome to Capitalism. 

Archived