IGNORED

Yate Town v Bristol City XI

Yatetownfc

34 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

How long have the current Management team been in place and how quickly are you expecting the changes to filter down through the club? In addition, how do you know the players weren't told to "run through the drills", work to a specific shape or whatever? It was just a training run out and an opportunity to play against a more physical opposition. 

..... well, based on our first team, at least we can agree if they continue to play for Bristol City they will have ample opportunity to play against a more physical opposition. 

The thinking, I assume, of the Club Strategy is that we out-skill, out-think, out-pace a more physical, aggressive opposition.

We clearly didn’t on this occasion, and as an advocate of an alternative (dare I say, ‘modern’) Germanic style of football I am yet to be sold on our passive, possession, ‘lightweights’ - based approach, particularly in a rather physically robust Championship.

27 minutes ago, Bristolcityyatton said:

A few names missing: Aden Baldwin, Ryley Towler,  James Morton, Sam Pearson.

Some injuries or potential loan moves I guess, but maybe some could be looking at a place on the bench for the first team on Saturday ..

I think at least 1 of those will be in the squad v Exeter. We’re short in 1 position in particular, so Towler or Baldwin might get a look. 

Just now, Harry said:

I think at least 1 of those will be in the squad v Exeter. We’re short in 1 position in particular, so Towler or Baldwin might get a look. 

Never seen Aden Baldwin play but aged 23 now and you have to question why he’s still here? If he can’t be considered as a CB with us seriously depleted then there’s no hope.  Anyone who has seen him.....does he deserve a chance or is he miles off it?

Surprised by a few comments on here.

I thought the lads were decent enough and showed decent attitude.

They lost to two very soft goals where the keeper should have done better for the first, late diving, and made a complete howler for the second, losing the ball at his feet in his box trying to beat an opposition player.

The only time Yate were a threat was when they crossed or were physical. City weren't 'outfootballed' so to speak...just physicality did them, which would be expected with such a young team playing.

There was lots of encouragement from the players, especially from Vince Harper who was geeing them up.

Owura Edwards was our biggest threat...and he did get frustrated at times, but rightly so...he was doing the right things. Management were encouraging him as well as the rest. At least he was showing some passion to do well.

My only gripe, and it seems common with youngsters, is they are all so quiet on the pitch. Very little talk. 

It was always...'man on, turn, hold, give, go etc, etc,etc,'...very little of that. You can actually talk and command a game when playing...gives your team mate that extra second.

We played 541 when defending...352 when attacking. In a very expansive way...which I thought was to our detriment. We would have been more dominant if we had kept it narrower in places imo. 

We've got some very technically good players and some very fast ones. 

Imo we didn't use the pace of a few well enough to break through the lines down the middle.

Yesterday's game and result shouldn't be a yard stick to judge our U23s and berate the club with.

54 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

@Davefevs Yep it was 3-5-2, maybe moving to that system will take them time to adapt, as Opi Edwards played centrally which I didn't think was his natural position. Any idea on James Morton, his name has not really been mentioned this summer and was not playing yesterday?

@GrahamCmight know about Morton?

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Who was the City captain?

Was he geeing them up?

Do we lack characters and leaders at all levels?

14 minutes ago, spudski said:

There was lots of encouragement from the players, especially from Vince Harper who was geeing them up.

Was Harper the Captain?

14 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Was Harper the Captain?

He was I think - and was the pick to me of the players we had out there.

What disappointed me last night wasn’t the result (it’s u23 - it’s development) or the first half (we got beaten up tbh - not through fouls just out muscled), it was that in the second half, when Yate had made 9 subs and had a far less physical side) we had a lot of ball in the first 20 yards of their half, and we didn’t seem to have the nouse to unlock them. I can’t recall a serious effort that we had, and I would have hoped that our movement in half two may have facilitated that when the physicality wasn’t as much of an issue.

Theyll learn loads from H1. But H2 was the let down for me.

Ash Harper though - yes, very good.

Archived